All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:19 am

Post subject: CaptainQuark's Non-LOTR Thread: Scibor Easter Bunny 25/03/14
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I'm taking a break for a bit from my LOTR-related painting (which you can see here: http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=27618&start=60), and will be doing some painting of miniatures from other ranges for the next while. First up, having just arrived in the post today, is a bit of a themed model for an upcoming holiday, the Scibor Easter Bunny model!

I got an idea that I would like to paint a few holiday-themed models from looking through an old thread here actually, which featured a fantastic Halloween miniature. Of course, Christmas is just gone, and I never would have had enough time to do a St. Patrick's Day model, so Easter was the target. After a bit of googling, and CMON searching, I came across this, and loved it straight away! The mini just has so much character, and the fact that it is a dwarf and a goblin (the two races I love from what little experience of Warhammer I have, just because they seem really fun :-D), so needless to say I was sold on it. Oh, and of course, it features a dwarf dressed up as a fluffy pink bunny :lol:

Anyway, it's here now, and I've spent a bit of time today assembling it (and admiring it from all angles, it really is a lovely piece :yay: ). The dwarf is separate to the base, which is all one sculpted piece of resin. After doing a bit of cleanup on the dwarf, I drilled into his foot to pin him (both to hold while painting, and to secure to the base when done), and then cleaned up the bunny ears and glued them on. The base also needed a bit of cleaning up, and I actually scraped away the piece of fauna from the side of the egg, as I did not like it too much as it was sculpted on, and I wanted to apply the normal kind of basing materials (static grass, flowers, etc.).

Later on, I hope to fill the air bubbles with greenstuff, and also use greenstuff to smooth the joint of the ears and the head of the dwarf. Then, I think I will need to wash the resin, is that correct? And then of course prime the model, ready for painting :)

Here is the model so far:

Check back for more progress soon, and naturally C&Cs are welcomed :)

Last edited by captainquark on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's Non-LOTR Thread: Scibor Easter Bunny 21/0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Some of the Scibor sculpts are brilliant and this one certainly raises a smile.
Definitely wash the resin before painting due to the release agent used and I find the Liquid Greenstuff (TM) works a treat on glued joints and the like.
Can't wait to see what you do with the paint job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

[quote=''Crucium Giger'']Definitely wash the resin before painting due to the release agent used and I find the Liquid Greenstuff (TM) works a treat on glued joints and the like.[/quote]

I have my Liquid GS ready and waiting on my desk :) And thanks for the advice on the resin, this is my first mini to paint that is resin. I have a good few finecast models, and I have been told that they need to be washed, but I wasn't sure about this, as it seems to be a different resin. Does every resin model need to be washed first? And do I just use water, or some washing up liquid too?

Thanks 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would always wash resins miniatures, just to be sure, and I use a little bit of washing up liquid then a second scrub in just warm water to make sure there is no residue left.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Small update, the model was washed and gaps and bubbles filled. I then undercoated it black. I decided to start with the dwarf first, so here is the progress so far:

Usually I always start with the flesh of a model, as I generally feel this is the most important thing to get right, so get it done first, and the rest of the mini is usually plain sailing. However, my one exception to this rule is drybrushing: anything that needs to be drybrushed gets bumped to the top of the priority queue, as I tend to be quite messy with my drybrushing (as you can probably tell :oops: ), and so if that is done first, it won't mess up other areas.

This was also my first attempt at painting anything in a pink colour. I simply mixed scab red, as that is a pinky kind of red, with white, adding more white for highlights. Looking back, I probably should perhaps have mixed in some purple, but ah well, its all a learning curve :) I'm still happy with how it came out, and hope it will look better as a completed model :)

Hopefully I'll have more soon :)

Post subject: Re: CaptainQuark's Non-LOTR Thread: Scibor Easter Bunny 25/0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hehe, that's one funny looking miniature, although as a Moria player I'd prefer it if it was the Dwarf inside the egg lol. I've never painted pink either; I don't even have pink paint...

Keep the updates coming mate, and I hope you give it an similarly unique paintjob, that befits the sculpt (pink is a great start hehe).
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

awesome sculpt!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Love him!

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting