All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:41 pm

Post subject: The Plague
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:53 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some time ago, I started working a little project: The Plague. It's a Skirmish/Roleplaying game I made for my friends in a futuristic setting where the world has just been struck by a zombie plague. For the rules, I got inspiration from LotR SBG, Doom the Boardgame, Panic Station and DnD and it uses elements of all of these.
I will be using mostly Mantic Games' Deadzone miniatures, and assorted other Sci-fi models, but I also needed to create some terrain. So, I set out to making the first Sci-fi terrain I've ever done!
Most of the terrain is built up from 3" cubes, as to keep it compatible with the Deadzone game.

A air-filtering station:
Pipeline:
Exploded pipeline:
Close up:

Watchtower:

Broken highway:
WIP:

What do you think? Ideas, comments and criticism is welcome, especially since this is my first Sci-fi terrain! :)
 Post subject: Re: The Plague
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Neat! Nice use of household and recycled materials.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really nice work, I love seeing stuff like this. Depending on how much of this you see yourself doing, this Kckstarter has a sprue of hard plastic windows/doors/pipes/panels that would rely take this kind of building to the next level:

http://www.maelstromsedge.com/ks

But even without that, these are still great additions to any table!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I don't have any experience with this sort of thing either, but I really like what you've done so far. It looks really good, and I love seeing so much recycled household 'junk' put to use.
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice idea and well done. If anything I would look to more weathering, this being an apocalyptic setting I would envisage more signs of damage and a general unkempt appearance.
That raised platform could be painted a metal colour with plenty of rust splattered on it.
The broken tube depends what was inside, if electrics then fire damage ? If water then some moss and generally greenery ?
I hope this gives you some ideas.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi Feanor - your game reminds me a lot of this:
http://www.manticgames.com/games/deadzone.html
The Plague is one of the factions in the game.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks all! Nice to hear these positive reactions.
Quite a bit of stuff from around the house is used indeed. The air inlet of the filtering station used to be a pepper mill, for instance. None of the materials were bought.

@ Paradigm: Thanks! The terrain does look good, and I've considered getting terrain elements like that of some sort. I have not yet found the need for it, though. I might at some though, so thanks for the link!

@ Gandlaf the Grey: Thanks for the feedback! You're right, it does look very clean still. This is partly because the beginning of the campaign I'm playing the Plague literally just broke out. Some parts of the city are yet untouched. As the campaign progresses, I will make more ruined buildings, with a more weathered look. Also, I'll make the existing buildings more weathered then.
The ideas you propose all sound good, thanks!

@ Dorthonion: Yes, certainly! In fact, you might be able to tell, but the Marines I use are actually their Enforcers (from the starter set). I also use 2 Plague starter sets and some survivors minis from Hasslefree.
I really liked the look of the Plague models especially, and I've looked for a nice skirmish-like wargame about a year ago. I wanted to play nice campaign with friends in some post-apocalyptic setting. Deadzone models were very much what I wanted, but the game less so (I much prefer non-grid movement).
Therefore, I started making my own set of rules, loosely based on LotR SBG, Doom the Boardgame, DnD and more. I've now pretty much finished them and started a campaign with friends.
In fact, the buildings I made were mostly made such that it is compatible with Deadzone, so based on 3' cubes. So, if I want to play Deadzone (not part of the campaign), I still can!

I've currently finished some more, and made a board as well. I'll try and put photo's up later this week.
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:18 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have the Plague. The minis, not the affliction... and Enforcers and a ton of Battlezone. I haven't had much chance to play Deadzone recently as I am writing books as well as holding down a full-time job.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!