All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Oh God... This thread is headed the way every thread on GameFAQs goes; i.e Off topic.

Yeah, I think that if a game makes you feel like you're in there, whether you're blasting a super mutant and identifying each bit of brain as it splatters on the wall, or whether you're be leaping from the walls of Helm's Deep in a desperate attempt to defend the breach, then its done something right.

I installed this earlier, and with a little pesimism I jumped right in, skipping the tutorial, because I am just that hardcore. Even though I had to downgrade the graphics to minimum and the sound didn't work for some stupid reason, the game still felt good to play. The moments of clunkyness with controls, the occasional 'wtfdroidekaforcefield' and stupid camera were all forgotton due to the sensation of being thrust into the battle for Middle-Earth. Most of the time the controls worked well, despite my laptop not having a middle-mouse button. Sure, it's a long way from perfect, but despite those misgivings, it has charm and delivers a great experience. One of the few games that has moments I'd use the word 'epic' to describe.

But that's just my opinion. Feel free to respond, belittle or ignore. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

gaarew wrote:
Right, let's get this sorted before it escalates...

You guys are all stoopidz... It's a bloody computer game. :P

At the end of the day, opinions are like bum holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

This announcement was brought to you by gaarew, helping children play in harmony since 1908.

:-D

That'll sort them out :yay:

Anyway I wouldn't say it is that much like the films e.t.c mainly because of the mages. You can see why they did it though to get an extra class in. I was to be honest a little disappointed with the look of the characters. Especialy the Gondor swordsmen, I wanted it to look like the ones in the film but oh well.

GondorianBloke - I thought Helms Deep was a pretty good level, It did feel as though you were at Helms Deep. Some of the other levels were quite good in terms of the environment as well.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

CaptainOfTheWhiteTower wrote:
gaarew wrote:
Right, let's get this sorted before it escalates...

You guys are all stoopidz... It's a bloody computer game. :P

At the end of the day, opinions are like bum holes. Everyone has one and they all stink.

This announcement was brought to you by gaarew, helping children play in harmony since 1908.

:-D

That'll sort them out :yay:

Anyway I wouldn't say it is that much like the films e.t.c mainly because of the mages. You can see why they did it though to get an extra class in. I was to be honest a little disappointed with the look of the characters. Especialy the Gondor swordsmen, I wanted it to look like the ones in the film but oh well.

GondorianBloke - I thought Helms Deep was a pretty good level, It did feel as though you were at Helms Deep. Some of the other levels were quite good in terms of the environment as well.

Conquest in the mines of moria!!! That's the coolest level of the game, it feels REAL! And although all in all, the graphics aren't all that good, the Balrog looks perfect!

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

gaarew wrote:

I really wonder sometimes, how John has not had a permanent filter installed on his account :roll:

Back on topic :oops: I didn't like a lot of things in the original Battlefront games for example if you were struck down by an enemy Jedi, it was rather hard to get up to fight back. I'm not sure whether this compares to what some of you have described here as I haven't played this yet, but it is the surrounding scenery that keeps me interested. If that is up to scratch and there is lots to explore then I don't mind being beat into the ground occassionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:36 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

lorderkenbrand wrote:
I really wonder sometimes, how John has not had a permanent filter installed on his account :roll:

Me and you have to go drinking some time dude, then you'd realise that that WAS filtered...

Back on topic (urgh) - I think, despite all that's been said, I'll still pick this up. I'll probably wait a while til it hits the bargain bins, because I still have about 6 or 7 games to get into at the moment from Xmas, and I've only had the Xbox on a couple of times since then too. Been far too busy painting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

One of my favorite newspapers, The Onion, which is the most hilarious and brilliantly satirical paper ever to grace Chicago, has a spot to review one game, and this week they chose LoTR Conquest as their pick. I must say, it's pretty rare for a game to receive the rating it did, since most of them are pretty positive. Keep in mind it's just another person's opinion, but I thought some of the bits in the review were pretty funny, especially when talking about the classes, and was wondering if there was any truth to this beyond the Demo. Anyway, here's what non-LoTR devotees have to say about Conquest. Don't read it if you don't want to- it's negative, but it's still pretty amusing no matter how you feel about the game.

[spoiler]Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Rating: D

"During a few battles in LoTR:C, a winged beast swoops down and snatches your character off the battlefield. It's a strange way to die, not just because it's random and unavoidable- Conquest is rife with these throw-your-controller-at-the-TV moments- but because it's Commemorated with a little onscreen trophy: "Unfriendly Skies." Get it? High Five!

That's the delusional attitude of Conquest, a field-combat game that sees its most aggravating flaws as cause for celebration. This Star Wars: Battlefront clone (by the same developer) dilutes the sweeping battles of Peter Jackson's LOTR films into a series of errands with incidental fighting. The game tries to mask the banality of its chores with Tolkien-esque trappings- instead of "Grab the Key!" it's "The key lies somewhere upon the ground! Recover it!" --but the Battle of Osgiliath demands more action than purple prose can muster.

While Conquest touts its "fight as the bad guys" feature, Sauron's forces are just the same as their virtuous counterparts, just fatter and uglier. So no matter whose side you take, you choose from the same four unbalanced fighter classes. You can be a warrior, whose special ability seems to be rapid death; an archer, if you don't mind your computer-controlled allies constantly stepping in front of your arrows; or a wizard, whose ability to heal himself makes him the correct choice 90% of the time.

Then there's the "scout," who can turn invisible and sneak behind enemies to deliver a fatal stab wound. This class is useless in the single-player campaign, but enormously popular online. Multiplayer matches are typically waged by armies of scouts skulking around trying to assassinate one another, while the non-scouts frantically dart and hop in a futile attempt to shake their invisible stalkers. It's a griefer's dream. For everyone else, it's tedium.

Beyond the game: Conquest covers the saga's major battles while inventing a few of its own, so Tolkien purists will want to look away.

Worth Playing For: You can occasionally fight as one of the saga's heroes, and Aragorn's "Army of the Dead" attack offers the kind of visceral melee thrill that ought to happen throughout the game.

Frustration Sets in When: EA's glitchy multiplayer servers place you in a one-on-one match of capture the flag.

Final Judgment: Middle-Earth deserves better than this middling effort"[/spoiler]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Definately holding off until it hits the bargin bins.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Haha about that review, I do think that nazgul thingy is cool, and it's not the scout that's the problem, it's just the mages, all those little 10 year old children who think: "wow cool a magic caster, I'll take that one."
Usually in a game with about 8 vs 8, I'm the only non Mage/ scout. :lol:

Off course, that can be helped by having a lot of Lotr minded friends, who play a balanced game just because it looks better. e.g. 4 of each.

Oh well, it's still fun.^^

On another note, has anyone noticed the "Amon Hen" games, when playing online? Cause when you click them, they say you need to download it first, of the playstation store, but it's not there. :roll:

Rueben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I got it on the XB360.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If I didn't like LOTR I probably would find this game OK. I really don't like it to be honest. It is fun for a short while, and if you want easy achievement points then rent this out from blockbuster or something. But it really isn't related to LOTR greatly, and I don't think it's a good game. The heroes are pretty much the same as the standard soldiers as well.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm looking to get this game for PC. I have one question though, is it worth the money? I've watched various videos of gameplay footage and it looks pretty nice. I've heard that in can get a bit boring after a while, but then again what doesn't? :?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Galadhrim wrote:
I'm looking to get this game for PC. I have one question though, is it worth the money? I've watched various videos of gameplay footage and it looks pretty nice. I've heard that in can get a bit boring after a while, but then again what doesn't? :?

In my opinion, no, it isn't worth the money.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

what are the specs of your rig? If your gfx card doesnt have pixel shader 3.0, then say goodbye to playing the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Messia wrote:
Galadhrim wrote:

I forgot to mention that i'm a fan of Star Wars battlefront, so if Lord of the Rings conquest is anything like battlefront then I will most definately be getting it. :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galadhrim wrote:
Messia wrote:
Galadhrim wrote:

I forgot to mention that i'm a fan of Star Wars battlefront, so if Lord of the Rings conquest is anything like battlefront then I will most definately be getting it. :-D

So am I but it certainly isn't as good as that. My advice is to wait until it gets cheaper and then give it a go.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Galadhrim wrote:
Messia wrote:
Galadhrim wrote:

I loved star wars battlefront.. this just doesn't compare in my opinion.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The main reason I think I will like Lotr Conquest more than Battlefront is becuase i'm really into games that use swords / bows to fight, rather than guns, I just like the medieval kind of combat. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love BF2, it was brilliant, so I thought a LoTR version meant it would be alot better.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. BF2 is still a better game.

wait till it goes down in price, then buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, thanks very much for the help and advice everyone. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Galadhrim wrote:
The main reason I think I will like Lotr Conquest more than Battlefront is becuase i'm really into games that use swords / bows to fight, rather than guns, I just like the medieval kind of combat. :)

As do I... the combat just seems too arcade style for me lol
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next