All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The War In The North
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Because it's much easier to use the licensed name, make a crappy cheap game and then sit back & take in all the money coming from the dedicated fanboys such as myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well predictably, all the reviews give this game a "mediocre" to "good" rating. No surprise to me after seeing gameplay trailers. Even gamers are calling it mediocre or just good for a playthrough. Damn I want my PS3 fixed already so I can try it out for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I will play it eventually but it's not one of those games that I'll get straight away. I need at least 200 hours game time on Skyrim before I think of playing anything else at all ;). Although from the trailers it did look good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What trailers?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Guys! Even though no one is hyped for it, the reviews aren't flattering, and its a pathetic LotR tie-in, a lot of people posting here are still wanting the game, at some point...? Don't waste your money just because it says "The Lord of the Rings" on the cover! If you're really hankering for a game like this, why don't I recommend Elder Scrolls Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, or a brand new IP, Dragon's Dogma?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:43 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Oh I'm not going to buy this because it has Lord of the Rings on the front cover, I'm going to buy it because I'm a sucker for any RPG. I've preordered the collectors edition of Skyrim (as I do with any Elder Scrolls/Fallout game) and will be playing Amalur and Dogma at some point when I get them too. I'd also recommend Dark Souls to anyone into this genre.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll get Skyrim if I ever get around to beating the main quest of Oblivion. What I would've really liked from Snowblind is if they've made an action rpg like Baldur's Gate & Champions. And have it 6 or 8 players co-op.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sacrilege83 wrote:
I'll get Skyrim if I ever get around to beating the main quest of Oblivion.

Which takes like forever :-D . I just get too distracted by all the little side quests. I might get Skyrim... provided I has enough money set aside for it and I hear overwhelmingly good reviews within a week of it coming out. In general I never buy LOTR video games because I've rarely heard great reviews for them. Saves me money for SBG. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^ Yeah for Oblivion I've only beaten the Knights of the Nine expansion. I hear what you mean about being distracted on side quests.

So I've played like the first chapter of WitN over at a friend's place. Split screen down the middle multiplayer is a bit hard to get used to. The controls are your basic weak attack, strong attack + holding the button down for a stronger attack, 2 alternative modes of firing at long range, action button, sprint button, block button, and evasive roll, d-pad is for use of potions. Then you have special abilities where you hold dow a few of the top trigger buttons and then you press a face button to execute an action. No jump button, no climbing & hanging on ledges, so no platforming. It's pretty easy (though only playing a few hours), the only time my party was wiped out was at the first boss which took a few tries to beat. Even when you are defeated the game quickly loads back to the latest check point and then you're back at it. So no major consequences for failing. Good amount of loot, and there is some aura of light merchant (!?) where you can buy/sell. No shack/tent or individual, just a beam of light at a corner of a wall where you can buy/sell. Equipment are moderately pricey and you would just find some better ones in loot a half hour later. I find the combat play & animation better than Conquest, but it can get repetitive quickly which it what you have to expect for an action beat 'em up rpg. Graphics are above average but not great, voice acting is average; not bad but nothing special. So far I enjoy the game and it is fun, but it's not overly spectacular, recommend bargain bin purchase. Oh and Agandaur is pretty badass so far, heroes seem a little generic.

Anyone else has thoughts who have played the game already?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I beam of light where you buy/sell. Yeah...that's really ME themed. :P And I imagine "magic items" are typically D&D spam available?

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've just seen the trailer for War of the North, the protagonists and antagonist look so ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sounded good at first but all the trailers and reviews seem rubbish. really lloks like someones trying to squeeze some money out of us. i think i'll stick to elder scrolls!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Has anyone tried the two-player co-op mode? How well does it work?

I'm not the least bit interested in these hack & slash action RPGs as single-player games but some of them (for example PS2's Baldur's Gates) are great fun with a friend.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Snow Blind made Baldur's Gate. Kind of wished they made WitN the same way. Co-op is split screen down the middle vertically. I don't mind it since my friend has a 50" tv. I don't know what else to say, it's co-op, more fun than single player.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Co-op it's for sure more exciting... :-D
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I didn't think any reviewers were going to make mention of WitN's heavy departure from traditional LotR imagery or presentation--Xbox 360 Achievements, which gave the game a "mediocre" rating, mentioned that it was at least fun to play in Middle-earth. However, x-play, which gave it 2/5, mentioned that WitN didn't "feel like Lord of the Rings." I think I made the right decision to pass, based on reviews and trailers, and I'd recommend that any LotR fan considering this purchase should do so with some hesitancy, as WitN seems to have failed at being a good LotR game and being a good video game in general.

In anyone is interested, however, there is a PC demo available on OnLive. There's no demo for Xbox 360 or PS3, and the PC demo requires that you download the OnLive app. [http] http://www.onlive.com/launch/trial/lord ... -the-north[/http]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:33 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If anyone has War in the North and has played it, please contact me via PM as soon as possible. Preferably within 48 hours from now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've been playing the game and am having quite a bit of fun with it. Nothing so far strikes me as being terribly un-LOTR about it. For sure it is better than some LOTR video games I've played in that respect.

I don't pay too much attention to critical reviews - they have failed me too many times. I have also having lots of fun with Space Marine that got slammed by most reviewers.

If you don't like action RPGs though, don't bother, as this is definitely an action RPG. There are boxes lying around with loot in them, and you will find yourself breaking in the middle of an adventure to go and sell off said loot.

-Tim
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I much prefer having an army to command, preferably an evil one, so it doesn't sount terribly fascinating, but may I ask, do the villains look ok? because if they do, I may play it, the thing is someone bought it for me and I only have limited time to send it back if I won't like it. (I am not mean by the way, I actually told the person that I don't really want that game but they bought it anyway, just thought I might decide what to do)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have no issue with the appearance of the bad guys, but I suggest you find a gameplay video on youtube or something to see for yourself.

One thing I did like about fighting cave trolls, is you were very much encouraged to take some shots at them (all characters have a shooting attack that zooms you into a first person mode), then if his back at you to attack one of your teamates - to move in to melee, take some shots and then dodge the heck out of there before he knocks you flying with his hammer (or whatever he's got in his hands).

Anyway, just want to emphasize that this is definitely an Action RPG with the whole "kill stuff to get cash to buy new gear so you can kill bigger stuff" philosophy. So if you don't like that, then this game isn't going to do it for you.

I'm pretty happy rocking with the Dwarf - he's from Erebor and is quite handy with axes!

-Tim
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next