All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 am

Post subject: The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I just noticed that a new Middle-earth based RPG has been published: The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild.

This came as a surprise to me, does anyone have already some exprience on this new game? I completely missed the Decipher RPG while I was busily playing through my endless ICE modules. :)

Publisher's site: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/the-one-ring/
The digital version in DrivethruRPG store: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=179&products_id=93673

-- Pasi
 Post subject: Re: The One Ring: Adventures over the Edge of the Wild
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was involved in play testing it.

It's nothing like Decipher's game. It's not a whole lot like MERP either.

However, by accident or design, to does echo some elements of MERP, if only a little.

The initial release is set in Wilderland - so, Laketown, Woodmen Town, Rhosghobel. There are rules to play Woodmen, Beornings, Dalemen, Wood Elves, Dwarves and Hobbits. That last was a bit of a controversial inclusion, but it makes some sense. (I rather wish there were rules for Sindarin Elves too - I'd convert over my current RPG project in that case.)

The game is somewhat non-traditional: things like weariness and hope make as big a deal as combat ability; the party's (the "fellowship") goals can help you in certain circumstances.

The game has a lot of charm, and once past the small little fiddly details of how the "thematic" rules work, the result should be quite rewarding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Bit of necromancy, does anyone else have any experience with this game? If so, I'd like to hear more about it.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I bought it and read the books, but haven't played yet. Our old MERP campaign is still not finished, but this will definitely be the next.

After reading the rules I like it a lot. The game seems like it's designed into Middle-earth and the whole system supports the theme of Middle-earth style adventuring a lot better than the previous games. I don't know if this made any sense, but compare to for example MERP, which is basically a generic system over which a couple of special rules have been slapped so that it can be called Middle-earth RPG. In One Ring the whole system feels right. Of course the RPG industry and game design have developed a couple of decades between these two games. And don't take me wrong, I love MERP, otherwise I wouldn't be GMing it.

One Ring is more like a modern storytelling style system than an older world and combat simulation system, emphasising story over realistic combat or skill acquisition. As such, it's very much to my liking. I really can't wait to finish our current campaign to have a chance to really bury myself into this new game.

-- Pasi
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

RPG games are popular these days and and it is most players choice because RPG games has challenging quests and really enjoyable to play.