All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 pm

Post subject: Thinking about starting up!
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everybody!

So my friend and i was brainstorming about starting up with WotR since we wanted to test something new. We are both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k "veterans" and some basic Flames of War so we are not completely new to miniaturegaming :)

Anyhow we decided on armies based on what we wanted to play and my friend wanted some Morannon Orcs and i decided on Elves.
Ive been trolling a little on the forum here and figured out that the elves are a little like the High Elves i used to play in Warhammer, Few in number and squishy but exellent fighters and bowme...bowelves

Now a couple of questions.

1. If i wanted a "unit" of, say Highelves can i buy the Galadhrim box and use as highelves or do i have to sell my pretty expensive car to buy blisters?

2. The Galadhrim box comes with 24 soldiers, 8 with spears, 8 with shields and 8 with bows, first of i cant the option to take spears/pikes anywhere (I use armybuilder) and second are you limited to that number of 8 of each type of soldier?

3. We thought about starting with a small force of 5-700pts so what heroes and units should i pick? My friend said and i quote "I want Morannon Orcs and... OH Gothmog cause he's so effing ugly!" So i played around in armybuilder a bit and came up with the following?

Legendary Formation
Gildor's Household: 3 companies
Common Formation
Highelf Regiment 3 companies, Banner and Hornblower

Total: 495pts

As i am a complete rookie to WotR i have no idea if this is fluffy or not so i hope that you in your infinite wisdom can help me out.

Thanks!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Question 1: No. Unless you want a highly accurate (but expensive) army. They look pretty much identical anyways.

Question 2: No, as far as I know.

WoTR games are usually bigger than 495 points. SBG usually better for smaller games.

BTW, congrats on starting the game! You'll enjoy it. :-D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

to get high elves you could just buy plastic boxes with 8 numenoreans and 16 high elves my friend to that and i think he got about 32 high elves
 Post subject: Re: Thinking about starting up!
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

fabbes wrote:
2. The Galadhrim box comes with 24 soldiers, 8 with spears, 8 with shields and 8 with bows, first of i cant the option to take spears/pikes anywhere

In WOTR spears count as hand weapons, allowing you to mix sword and spear armed warriors in the same company. Only Easterlings, Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth and Saruman's Uruk-hai can be pike-equipped.

EDIT - Oops, I forgot out the Guards of the Galadhrim Court, they can also be equipped with pikes:http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150064a&prodId=prod2020013

Last edited by King Elessar the Uniter on Tue May 04, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

what about rivendell gaurd?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Don't forget the vaulted Vault Wardens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

BurningMithril wrote:
Question 1: No. Unless you want a highly accurate (but expensive) army. They look pretty much identical anyways.

Question 2: No, as far as I know.

WoTR games are usually bigger than 495 points. SBG usually better for smaller games.

BTW, congrats on starting the game! You'll enjoy it. :-D

Thanks for your answers :)

So you can pretty much use any elves as any type of elf unit within certain frames if you arent into fluff that much? (though i usually end up fluffing my armies after a while anyway :D)

So what amount of pts would recommend to the minimum for WoTR?
Cause we only want to try it out before we spend the big bucks on a huge army :P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Probably 900 at the very least. Usually, games are between (at least from waht I've seen) 12-1500 points, depending.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

750 is kinda the lowest reccomended ammount as far as i'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1: It is recommended to use the correct models where possible or do some conversion to make it more obvious. As long as you don't have Galadhrim as Galadhrim and Galadhrim as High Elves, then you shall be fine ;)

2: Unfortunately, yes. Having said that, there are 3 companies of each weapon type instantly. The only boxes that allow customisation are the SwanKnights of Dol Amroth and Morgul Knghts (both of whom have command options, essentially) and, to a lesser extent, Galadhrim Knights (4 have swords, 2 have bows, one of the sword guys may be a banner bearer and you can give shields to whichever ones and can glue loose bows onto the sword guys).

3: For proper games of WotR, nothing less than 1,000 points because otherwise "armies" and units shall be too small. However, as a trial to test if you like the game, 500 points is fine. I did a trial to help my girlfriend and I learn the rules (using Wood Elves and Dwarves respectively) at 250 points as well as 500 points and 750 points, so it's playable, but best in larger numbers.

As to the list: If you're using Galadhrim models for High Elves, it will visually work and you can always say that they are elite Galadhrim, hence the better stats etc... The first thing though: drop the horn blower. They aren't worth the points. 5 points would be pushing it. If need be, replace the hornblower and banner bearer with a captain. The list actually looks okay to me though ;)

A couple of notes:
*Galadhrim box gives you 8 with bow, 8 with shield and 8 with glaive. These would work out as 3 different formations (Archer formation, Warrior Formation and Warrior Formation with shield upgrade). However, fine to use when representing the High Elves.
*Warriors of the Last Alliance box gives you 8 Numenoreans (a fodder unit if you fancied one. Half the points with a decent defence. Adds bodies), 8 with longbow and 8 with glaive. You'd likely be doing a lot of trading off and you still wouldn't have the shield armed warriors: however, you can greenstuff mould the Galadhrim shield and attach them to whichever models you'd like to.

Hope that helps!

(P.S. If you'd like some plastic High Elves with bows or glaives, I have some for trade.)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Oh, I thought that he was asking if that was the max amount of that kind of weapon-type in an army.