All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 5:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Anc wrote:
hithero wrote:
Anc, you are trying to put a condition to the rule that doesn't exist to make it fit your point of view. If the 'all have hand weapon rule' was mean't to exclude those already with some other weapon then it would have said so. An example of this can be found in the Clansman of Lamedon profile where it stipulates that he does not have an alternative hand weapon for his two-handed weapon.

So how many profiles are there which have a 2h weapon in it but don't have a hand weapon in their profile? Im not talking about the option to take a 2h, i mean models who get a 2h included in their base profile.
I only have the main rule book so i could only find the Uruk-Hai bezerkers with only 2h weapon listed. Everything else in the book had a hand weapon listed. (the elves in there dont count as they were covered in the FAQ).

Looks like a pretty clear intention to me that Uruk-Hai bezerkers are only armed with 2h weapons. You are taking the rule on page 42 too literally.
Anyway i know you wont see it this way and i wont see it yours, im going to have to agree to disagree :)

Well, unless the rules change, the rule on page 42 stands and Uruk Berserkers have hand weapon. It is as simple as that, nothing to try to interpret. If you don't want to use 1H weapons on your berserkers, thats fine as you don't have to use all weapons a figure have in a battle, but he still has it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Anc wrote:
Looks like a pretty clear intention to me that Uruk-Hai bezerkers are only armed with 2h weapons. You are taking the rule on page 42 too literally.

The rules are meant to be interpreted literally, otherwise, how else are you supposed to interpret them? It isn't poetry. Sometimes mistakes are made, sometimes things are included/excluded which are not meant to be. However, that isn't for us to decide (unless you make your own house rules, but you can't play them against opponents without their approval first!). If GW made a mistake, and notice it, they will release an FAQ. Otherwise, the rule stands.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Check out this FAQ, http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1310014_The_Lord_of_The_Rings_Rulebook_FAQ_2006-07_Edition.pdf Particularily this question,
Q: In the demolition team description, it says that a bezerker with a flaming brand can't use his sword as a two-handed weapon. What does this mean?
A: A bezerker with a flaming brand can't use his two-handed sword, he has to use his dagger.

Bezerkers have daggers (hand weapons), there you go, no more arguing needed. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Bezerkers have daggers (hand weapons), there you go, no more arguing needed.

Thanks dude but i was actually asking for dwarf ranger...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nothing to see here

Last edited by Mouth-of-Sauron on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Hmm I wonder will i get punished for such a post

Well, at least its very impolite... you could have expressed that in a nicer way, even if you're right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Quote:
So how many profiles are there which have a 2h weapon in it but don't have a hand weapon in their profile? Im not talking about the option to take a 2h, i mean models who get a 2h included in their base profile.
I only have the main rule book so i could only find the Uruk-Hai bezerkers with only 2h weapon listed. Everything else in the book had a hand weapon listed. (the elves in there dont count as they were covered in the FAQ).

Anyway i know you wont see it this way and i wont see it yours, im going to have to agree to disagree :)

You only have the main rulebook, but we keep pointing you to the Clansmen of Lamedon profile. That it a perfect example of our interpretation: it is exactly like a berserker wrt equipment, except it specifically states they are otherwise unarmed. A berserker has no such qualifier, therefore they have a hand weapon.

@mouth: I did express my own impatience with my "good grief" post, I probably shouldn't have done that. But IMHO you went over the top. For one thing, an idiot couldn't play this game :) For another it's just plain rude.
@Anc: you might want to consider that a lot of the people here have settled this and other issues at official GW game tournaments. You can do what you want in home games, but outside of that you might find yourself alone in your disagreement.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah I know, I just went over the edge :lol: but still, short tempered as I am, I think Anc give it a break c´mon your not a child, or maybe you are I don´t know, never the less, use your logic, not your I don´t know what ever...

really (wo)man, be cool and stop b####in around :rofl:

Last edited by Mouth-of-Sauron on Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well it is irritating when one person thinks he's right when the rulebook and every other player who has posted say's otherwise :(
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:19 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not to be some backseat moderator, but I think this discussion has to end.
The only thing that will come from it is a fight.

So the final word is, just look in the rulebook on page 42.
Everyone has a handweapon, unless it is stated that they don't have a handweapon and are unarmed (Clansmen and Cirdan for example).

If you use that rule, that's up to you.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awwwww that sucks i wanted to see what Mouth-of-Sauron had written.. but he edited over it :sad: :lol: Oo well
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
So the final word is, just look in the rulebook on page 42.
Everyone has a handweapon, unless it is stated that they don't have a handweapon and are unarmed (Clansmen and Cirdan for example).
Hmm that wasn't exactly my question. I only wanted to know if the handweapons get lost with taking a 2h one because it is for free. So it wouldn't make sense that there are only 8/24 with 2h if its free. Do you get the point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hand weapons are not lost. When this happens the term used is "exchange", for example a Galadhrim warrior may "Exchange Elven Blade for spear" for free.

In the Khazad-dum sourcebook, a dwarf warrior starts with an axe, and can take a 2H for free. He does not have to "exchange" it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I answered that on page 1 :?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think it's best we stop the argument here as Imrail said. This is a thread that could go on forever and nothing will be gained. Just play as you find suitably is my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Okay thanks i think i got it. So the models that dont carry a 2h weapon can use it anyway although it is not sculpted on the model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Azrael wrote:
Okay thanks i think i got it. So the models that dont carry a 2h weapon can use it anyway although it is not sculpted on the model.

No.
Models with a 2H weapon can use a hand weapon unless it says in the profile that they can't (clansmen etc.)
Models with only a hand weapon can't use a 2h weapon. Look at the options for the weaons.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
No.
Models with a 2H weapon can use a hand weapon unless it says in the profile that they can't (clansmen etc.)
Models with only a hand weapon can't use a 2h weapon. Look at the options for the weaons.

Sorry but that doesnt make sense as the 2H weapons are free for DR. Why should one take a model without a 2H weapon at the price of one with a 2H weapon. And thus comes up the question, why gw should sell 8/24 DR without 2H weapons that nobody would want to use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Azrael, if all your Dwarf Warriors (not counting bow-users) are packing 2H weapons then just tell your opponent such and use them. Most players prefer WYSIWYG but if you don't have enough to represent them exactly and don't use any 1H warriors then don't sweat it.

As for the option though, for theme and realism of an army I wouldn't give all my Dwarves 2H weapons even if they were free. I think 50% 2H and 50% 1H is fine. You won't actually use 2H much of the time and teaming up a couple of each type into kill teams using the WYSIWYG models really works well and looks good.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Azrael, if all your Dwarf Warriors (not counting bow-users) are packing 2H weapons then just tell your opponent such and use them. Most players prefer WYSIWYG but if you don't have enough to represent them exactly and don't use any 1H warriors then don't sweat it.

As for the option though, for theme and realism of an army I wouldn't give all my Dwarves 2H weapons even if they were free. I think 50% 2H and 50% 1H is fine. You won't actually use 2H much of the time and teaming up a couple of each type into kill teams using the WYSIWYG models really works well and looks good.

Yeah thats true but still its not really clever to go 1H if you can get 2H for free... Or let me ask once more.... Wouldn't it be allowed to use a 2H weapon with a model that doesnt have one on it but could get it rule-wise for free and you told your opponent so before the match on a tournament?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next