All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:11 am

Post subject: metal figures + broken plastic figure
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am still on vacation. Managed to get online for just a bit lol. I found some miniatures on a street sale. But one of the plastic numenor guys has no footpiece anymore and a broken sword. Wat is the best way for fixing this. I also found a warg set - wich seems to have some extra swords if i am not mistaking. Might be able to use one of those. But i don't know how.
For the metal figures - i painted a metal gollum before and noticed that while painting that the metal started to show. Even tough i had it basecoated with black. How can i make the paint stick on the best? I heard of someone that i should mix up the paint with "dreft" or something. ( dreft=some kind of cleaning product). And for gluing the figure - i am not sure wich glues i have at home. And i am unable to check that from here. But i think i have some uhu glue and bison glue. Dunno wich one is the best? Or not one of those two. I don't want my fig to fall apart.
I hope you guys can help me out. I will probably return home in about uhm 5 days or something. So till that time i will not be able to respond.
Ty in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:23 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

For the sword of the numenorian guy you might want to buy some plastic glue or else drill a hole in his hand and give him a spear.

And with paint chipping off, the normal way is just to wash the mini in warm soapy water (dreft will work fine), then wash with water alone,
let it dry, apply a good basecoat, paint the mini and use a good varnish.
(btw you really should get another varnish because it would make your minis look much better, perhaps this (the fourth product))
I hope this helps :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

For the Numenorean, drill up into his legs and use wire to make legs. Then sculpt some feet or hide the bodge job with long grass. Otherwise, any plastic bits (left-over sprue?) carved roughly to shape and glued with plastic glue would work (the glue has to partially dissolve the plastic, to make a weld. Either of the glues you mention won't work.

Don't bother fixing the sword, convert him to a banner-bearer using a wire spear and the foil from a wine bottle-top, to make the banner. Use glue (Araldite rapid is my favourite, but superglue will make a rapid bond you can add araldite too later) or GS to make his hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First, regarding the chipping paint: What you had heard is that you really should wash your models with soapy water (dreft is a brand of detergant) after doing all the filing/cutting. Metal models especially might still have some of the coating used to help them come easily out of the molds. The same coating that keeps them from sticking to the mold makes it harder for paint to stick. Washing not only takes care of that but also gets rid of any shavings or dust from your prep work. It's a good practice (though one I must admit I do very little myself).

Broken figures are something you will get used to in time, unfortunately. Metals occassionally come with broken arms or weapons, or ones that are so bent that they break when you try to fix them. Plastics aren't as likely to break new because of the nature of the material, but if you get any models second-hand you are bound to have broken pieces. A missing foot is probably too more work to fix than it's worth unless you're a good sculptor. You can "cheat" here by making a reasonable shape of a foot with Green Stuff and then disguise it a little when you do your basing by gluing some static grass around that foot in addition to some other spots on the base.

You may also want to consider using him for flavor. You could work on putting a banner in place of the missing sword (very thin wood, metal or plastic rod and a printed banner would work well) if you want. Probably not much more work than a weapon swap anyway.

The Warg Rider box sets do come with a nice collection of Orc sword, shield and bows.

I just use whatever brand of "super glue" I happen to have around at the time. I personally prefer a brush-on since I can be more accurate but I'm not too picky here. If you're just gluing an infantry-sized model and you give it a good minute to set you are probably never going to have a problem with it. If it's a monster ( Troll, Treebeard, etc) then you're going to want to pin most parts. There are many discussions on the board here already where it's detailed but basically you'll drill a tiny hole on both parts, use a short piece of rod (a segment from a paper clip works most of the time) and some super glue and Green Stuff to hook it all together. That pin will make a very solid join and you should never have problems with it if it's not dropped or such.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:52 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The post doesn't appear to show a chipping problem but actually poor coverage. GW do some really weedy colours and just about cover white on a good day, if using these try undercoating white first.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am back from the sea. :) I like the idea of converting him to a banner. I should give it a try. One of the elvish warriors his sword broke to.. It already had a huge crack in it so i couldn't avoid it. I still got the part of that tough. How to fix it ensuring it won't break of easily? Superglue?
Also noticed that one of the wargs has fur glued on it. So the hole where i had to put the rider on has been closed. Now i am going to unpack my stuff first.
Ty alot for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I had a Berserker sword snap off at the hands before and initially just superglued it to the fragment of sword that was left. That worked for a long time until he took a short tumble down a 3" sloping foam hill. Then snap, it was off again. I finally filed the little piece still in his hand down to the hilt and carved a very slight indentation into the hands where the sword blade came up from. This was just big enough for the broken blade to sit slightly "into" the hands and, with a nice dab of superglue, gave the extra amount of surface area needed for a strong join. Over 2 years of play since then and it's still strong.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Not the best photo in the world but you get the idea. I think these were the first conversions I ever did in the hobby. Very easy.

I use superglue for everything. As long as it is a good brand I find no problems with it for both metal and plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

those are looking nice; I will give it a try when i got some time. I glued the broken sword of my elf with uhu glue. But it still seems a bit dangerous to break of. Also got the spare bits of weapons out of the sprue of my wargs. Two swords have been broken also glued those this morning. I hope it will hold. And otherwise those can be decoration on a base or something. I prepared my metal figures. The uhu sticks well on it. And The black paint sticked better on the metal. So i guess the dreft really helped alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I came up with another question. - How do you guys drill the hole in it?..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you go to your hardware store look in the section where they have drills and you should find some very small drill bits which can be put into a pin vice, some even have thickened shafts which allow you to use them by hand. They may even have a hobby section which will sell the same thing but likely heavily inflated in price.

Or even eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-20-piece-MIC ... 258wt_1137