All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 pm

Post subject: LOTR WOTR Resource List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:24 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

THIS IS THE NEW UPDATED WAR OF THE RING RESOURCE LIST!

I will update this whenever it needs updating

Getting started with the War of the Ring

If you want to get started with WOTR you will need several things;

• Some LOTR miniatures
  • The WOTR Rules
  • An opponent
  • Movement trays for your miniatures
  • Free time and imagination are always helpful
  • Gaming tools such as dice and a tape measure

When getting started there are several things that you should take into account;

1) The main rulebook, War of the Ring.

This rulebook gives you a full-colour sourcebook with all the info you'll need to play standard games of War of the Ring and historical scenarios, collecting, modelling and painting tips and the profiles of all the models in the LOTR range. There are no supplements or sourcebooks for WOTR with additional profiles in besides the expansion to the main ruleset called 'Battlehosts' which you can read about further down this post.

2) What models to start with?

As with the LOTR SBG, the best models to start off with when building a brand new War of the Ring force would be a boxed set of the core troops for your chosen army (be it Warriors of Minas Tirith for Gondor or the Fighting Uruk-Hai for Isengard). Again, a hero or command group of some sort would also be adviseable to invest in when starting a new army as these will provide the main backbone for your army.

As you need a much larger amount of miniatures to have a decent sized War of the Ring army in comparison to having a decent sized SBG army, your final purchase cost will most likely be much higher, however there is nothing stopping you from only starting out with a box or two of troops and battling freinds with an equal sized force (your games will just be much shorter, but sometimes that's best when you're just getting to grips with the rules).

3) Are there any additional supplements or journey books?

NONE! Unlike with the Strategy Battle Game, there are no additional supplements or journey books required to play the game (none even exist at the moment). The only additional book available for the War of the Ring game is the 'Battlehosts' expansion book which I will go into more detail about next.

4) So what exactly is 'Battlehosts'?

Battlehosts is an 80 page expansion to the main War of the Ring rulebook and contains all of the rules and information need to form deadly battlehosts from the history of the Lord of the Rings with your different characters and companies. Also included are new rules by the name of 'Fortunes and Fates' as well as various scenarios that you are able to use your newly formed battlehosts in.

To be able to use the Battlehosts expansion you MUST have a copy of the main War of the Ring rulebook.

5) What are the movement trays for?

They are used in exactly the same way that the movement trays in Warhammer are used. For those of you who are unaware of how they work, you use them to put your troops in and they act as a way of easily moving all of your troops quickly whilst keeping them in formation. As the War of the Ring game uses companies and formations, the movement trays play a vital role in the game and are therefore required for all games of War of the Ring.

FAQ's

Other Useful Resources from the GW Website

Gaming

Modelling

Painting

Collecting

As I said this thread will be updated in the future when the time calls for it.

Post subject: Re: LOTR WOTR Resource List
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is great! Sticky please.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Glad you like it.

I have been meaning to write this up for over a year now to go with my SBG Resource List and finally got round to it today. It's a little smaller than the SBG one mainly due to the lack of Supplements to write about but it includes everything a beginner will need to know.

As with the other List, if you have anything else you feel I have left out that needs adding just let me know. Just bare in mind this is only meant to be a quick and simple resource list for beginners and anyone else who might find it handy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice... :D
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

lovely idea
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:07 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

you should include Lonely knight's army builder excel file. :) It's very helpful...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good idea Elros, I don't suppose you could PM me a link to where I could find it could you? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

It seems that many (most?) of these painting guides have disappeared from the GW site. Did anyone think to archive them somewhere? I'm just starting painting some old sets and would like some guidance.

TIA