It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:37 am

Post subject: starting an Uruk-hai army
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi there,

I'm building and painting an Isengard army now currently I have
Saruman on horse, Lurtz, 20 warriors + 10 scouts is this enough to start
playing or should I add wargs or trolls?

Also can someone please link me to to warg painting guides?

Thanks and happy to be a part of the community :lurtz:

Post subject: Re: starting an Uruk-hai army
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

HI

Well from the start seems a nice force.
You only need a few things
- you need saruman on foot cause in case the horse dies, it would be a good idea to get the right model on foot to represent that.
- after this you need more heroes, following the warband system each heroe can lead warbands from 0 to 12 warriors. If you got the total of 30 models (10 scouts + 20 warriors) you need at least 1+ heroe to include on that force to allow to take all the models you own.

You got the very needed basic.
But more experienced players recommend you not to use saruman at lower point cost games under 500points, an at average just to think on him at least at 700pts.
Hes expensive and hes kinda of those heroes that need to be played well. For beginning game mechanics you should go for simpler heroes, cheaper that allow you to take more things in the field. once you learned well the rules then you can think on adding saruman to the force.

About what kind of models you wanna take, thats up for your army/hobby flavour, take what appeals you most.
I do recommend to take a look at all the other isengard heroes as a possibility for your force.

As for the random warriors you can field.
- take a look at:
- uruk crossbows
- feral uruk hai and berserkers
- more uruk scouts and warriors
- warg riders
- isengard trolls
- some more "exotic" type of units.

If youre starting I dont think anything can go wrong with uruk hai warrior. The basic core of the white hand its a good at everything role, tough, strong, good courage, skilled warriors. They also have wargear variety for diferent roles.
Uruk scouts are a bit lighter armoured troops and slightly less expensive, and allow you to get orc bows on uruk hai, something the warriors dont have, mor eor so a compensation for lower S shoots and gain mobility or get no mobility and shoot stronger bolts (its a matter of taste) Try both!!
Lurtz its the basic uruk hai scout captain you can field, hes more like a "can manage in diferent situations" for either spank spank role or shooting but he aint great at either.
You can consider some uruk captains if you dont get 2 much appealed for the others named uruk captains.
Shamans its one of those alternatives to a diferent set up and teach you how to get basic magic spells without taking an expensive saruman model.

You also can go the orc way in isengard, much similar to mordor orcs and still can be cool.
as for Isengard trolls I leave the same comment as for saruman usage as I explained above.
Warg riders its a nice addition to the force and can´t go wrong with them.

Usefull video to teach how to paint fell wargs(hobbit ones) but you also can think to apply on your own..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUbeAHuLP8Q

An article:

kb.php?a=44

Hope this helped you out a bit and above all dont forget, buy and paint watever it gives you the most pleasure on that isengard army, if you need tips and advices feel free to ask :)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Galanur thank you for the detailed reply I will keep referring to this post whilst I work on my Isengard army, thanks for the link also maybe things much easier :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would thoroughly recommend Vrasku to lead a warband of Uruk Hai Crossbowmen
Vrasku comes with Ugluk in a blister pack.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:24 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I would also recommend using a Shaman as cheap magical support as well as a captain with and banner support nearby to bolster the main battleline.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Might is vital: I'd recommend Vrasku, Sharku (cheap 3 Might) and Mauhur to lead your scouts (put shields on them). Mauraders with Heroic March travel further than cavalry. Don't hesitate to do conversions, as these guys are hard to find and expensive.