All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

Post subject: New Player with a lot of questions - where to start?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello community!

Im a (new) player from germany.
Love LOTR and always wanted to play this game, but unfortunately nobody is playing it here.

So i ended up with google finding out about:

- this forum
- a skirmisher book (Battle Companies)
- a (possible?) new Rulebook with reworked rules for both systems LOTR/Hobbit

The old Hobbit rulebokk is not available anymore due to the upcoming new one in summer this year (2018), correct?

My plan is to wait for the new book, but get a few models.
Can u play LOTR vs Hobbit armies? Or has to be each system for its own due to rule puposes?

What advice would u give a beginner like me before buy?

I would like to play:

-Hobbit-
Primary: Mirkwood
Secondary: Azog

-LOTR-
Primary: Mordor
Secondary: Minas Thirith

Thank you!
 Post subject: Re: New Player with a lot of questions - where to start?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:44 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome ForeverKing,

I don’t think there has been any official announcement of a new rules manual, there have been rumours of one for a long time. Nobody outside GW knows if and when there will be a new rules manual.

If you did want to get the rules they are still available in the Escape from Goblin Town box (https://www.games-workshop.com/de-DE/Th ... dition-ENG). While it doesn't include any of the forces you're interested in it is a great way to get hold of Thorin's Company.

You can certainly mix games between Hobbit and Lord of the Rings armies, you just need the appropriate army books for each.

We do know that there will be something based around The Pellenor Fields coming some time in the future.

I’d suggest a good way to start would either be the Goblin Town Box (if you are interested in Thorin's Company) or if not getting the plastic Mirkwood Heroes (Legolas and Tauriel) and warrior boxes (Mirkwood Rangers and Palace Guard) would be a good start.

Hope that helps.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey!

Thanks for your answer and giving me some advice in what direction i can go go.
Okay, seems like the hobbit A5 rulebook is the way to go.
Ill buy it form ebay, since i dont want the rest of the box.

I read on this forum that it is clear that the new rulebook will be released
this summer. i want it :D

How many models does a full sized game have (standard tournament point value)?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome!

The situation regarding the upcoming books both is and isn't very clear. A new rulebook is on the horizon, as are revisions of LotR-era profiles and supplements on Osgiliath and Pelennor Fields. What we don't know is when exactly these will arrive, and in what form: will there separate books for all the above, will the supplement(s) contain some revised LotR profiles (plus some new ones); will all LotR profiles be updated soon, or in separate thematic installments? Not long to wait now before we find out...

What is certain, is that the range will be rebranded as the Middle-earth strategy battle game. The Hobbit and LotR ranges were always compatible and designed to mix, but had different labels purely for marketing (perhaps licensing) reasons. They use the same core rulebook. With the upcoming book(s), expect them to be more ingrained. Even now, you can fight forces from 'the other side', however, and indeed ally them together in the same force too.

When starting out at this stage, getting models and seeing what the rules will become would be exactly my advice. By the time your forces are done, you'll probably have the new rules available to start playing. Mordor and Gondor both are fantasticly varied forces (and may well get some interesting additions soon). A commanders box with sets of Mordor and Morannon Orcs would be a good start for Mordor, while Warriors of Minas Tirith and Rangers would be so for Gondor. A troll or warg riders would be great further additions, or knights of Minas Tirith and Fountain Guard for the Gondorians.
Mirkwood and Azog's Orcs will probably see less changes or additions in the near future, but already possess a decent range of options. For Mirkwood, both plastic sets and the armoured Mirkwood Elves are all good. For Azog, two options exist: Hunters (Hunter Orcs and Wargs) or his Legions (Gundabad armoured Orcs and big beasties). Can't go wrong either way by getting a pile of Orcs.

Finally, if you're on Facebook, look for the Mittelerde Tabletop Community, part of the Hobbit Tabletop Liga. A thriving German online community where you'll hopefully find some local players (and yet more people to offer advice).
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello and welcome to the hobby. I will give you an answer about models and points values. Standard tournaments can vary in size somewhat put usually they are between 600pts and 800pts. It all depends on how long each round is supposed to last and how big the tournament is. The amount of models depends on the faction and the build but they tend to around 40 to 50 models for most armies. Goblin Town, Moria, and Hobbits can get into the 70s while the Iron Hills will usually be closer to 30 most of the time. The four you've selected should need about the average number if make use of the larger pointed heroes like Thranduil or Bolg. If you go over to the army building section you should be able to find some examples of lists to see what you'd need.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wow, thank you all for this feedback!

Right now, im struggeling in selecting my army.
Mirkwood, Mordor, Azog, Minas Tirith or try Haradrim? i dont know :D

Thanks for clarification concerning model count and point value.

For beginners is it possible to play even smaller games like 200-300 pts.?
Better not get 50 models at once, because it will kill my ambitions in this game, cause i have to paint it all.
I will - buy - paint - step by step.

So are there scenarios for lower point matches?

Thank you again!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All the points-match scenarios will work with low points armies. You could go even lower to just having the points value for a single warband of troops. Likely that would be 200pts or less if you go with unnamed heroes. Battle Companies are also a good thing to look into for building up a force since you can play it starting with 6-8 models and you just paint as your company expands. You do need its rulebook and someone to play against regularly but it makes a nice introductory experience. There is lots about it on YouTube if you want to have a look at see if it is something you want to give a try. If not just stick to points matches and you'll be fine starting small.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

definitely start out smaller for the normal rules games, and build it up, as for the army easiest first pick is the one you like the look of the most, rules and profiles aside for now, then collect, paint and play away..if you cant decide what overall army you like the looks of more pick what would be your leaders and see which of them excite you the most when it comes to playing now, for me recently ive decided to go for an angmar and lothlorien lost, cause i want the witch king and to do something themey around him and for the elves cause i really wanna put rumil and haldir together, I havent played battle companies myself but from what i hear its great for folks starting out to learn rules and get used to game mechanics, but if you rather dive in and go for the normal rule games, get yourself a pack of warriors and command set/ or whatever named hero you are after for whatever faction, and there ya go a warband complete, you can just build on from there if you decide you like the army enough to try out more, aim for an army about 500 points in or around (smaller again if you like)of whatever faction, you will be suprised how quickly the points fill up without you buying 100s of minis with the exception of the super cheap horde armies, just remember when testing to see if you like an army building a basic warband just to see with a captain and some troops just might not be the most accurate showcase of what that faction can do, so at the heart of it and after all the waffling here, just get what looks cool and seems like it would be fun, best of luck and keep us all posted on what you end up going for