All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 pm

Post subject: Using other races in home games
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Can you make your own stats and special rules, if for instance you wanted to have a rat man army, or a lizard man army? I know these of course are not in the middle earth universe, but if you only played them in home games with friends I didn’t know if that was against the rules. I’m just curious if that is possible and how you would go about doing that. Thanks
 Post subject: Re: Using other races in home games
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hello ChristianT,

You’re free to make up whatever rules you and your opponent agree to in friendly games at home. Quite a few people (myself included) have developed their own profiles in the past. The best way is usually to start with an existing profile and make some slight changes and then work out a points cost relative to that profile and others.

Hope that helps
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks! That helps a lot!
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do whatever floats your boat. You can use your other minis as proxies for armies you don't have to see if you like that army before you purchase it too.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you've got the source books, you could try looking for similar profiles if you wanted to balance the points exactly the same as in the Lord of the Rings.

For example, if you used a Games Workshop Warhammer lizardman army in Hobbit/LOTR you could buy a Mordor source book, then use the basic orc profile for skinks, use the Black Guard of Barad Dur for saurus, use the mordor troll profile for a kroxigor, and use the ringwraith on fell beast profile for a slann priest on flying chair ... something like that could be fun to try!
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I actually made an excel sheet with all the old WHF armies converted to LoTR profiles if you want it.

There's a fairly standard method for pricing models in LoTR that makes it relatively easy to convert the old fantasy profiles to LoTR, with some adjustments made for monsters and large units.
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Asamu wrote:
I actually made an excel sheet with all the old WHF armies converted to LoTR profiles if you want it.

There's a fairly standard method for pricing models in LoTR that makes it relatively easy to convert the old fantasy profiles to LoTR, with some adjustments made for monsters and large units.
I would greatly appreciate that! It would help me quite a bit. Thanks.
Alex123 wrote:
If you've got the source books, you could try looking for similar profiles if you wanted to balance the points exactly the same as in the Lord of the Rings.

For example, if you used a Games Workshop Warhammer lizardman army in Hobbit/LOTR you could buy a Mordor source book, then use the basic orc profile for skinks, use the Black Guard of Barad Dur for saurus, use the mordor troll profile for a kroxigor, and use the ringwraith on fell beast profile for a slann priest on flying chair ... something like that could be fun to try!
Ok, I see what your saying. Thanks for the help! I do not yet own the source books, but I imagine I could obtain them relatively inexpensive on eBay.