All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 pm

Post subject: The Misty Mountains Campaign
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Everyone!

I've been a lurker on this forum for a long time, however, since the Lotr sbg never took off in SA (some 40k with a few fantasy players), I only got to play 2 games total so far about 10+ years ago :( I'm hoping to change that by running The Misty Mountains Campaign published in WD312+WD313 for my friends. It only needs small armies so I thought it would be ideal. I just have a few questions.

1) How balanced is the campaign? And is it any fun?

2) All the scenario objectives state that the game ends when all Evil models are slain or have left the board. What happens if the Evil side wipes out the Good side which seems probable giving that the Evil side can get matchups where 150 points + a goblin captain face off against a Good force of only a captain and 50 points? Also, what about loot tokens? Do you only get the tokens that you have managed to remove from the board prior to the wiping out of the forces of Good? Or do I get a loot token for each goblin still alive and on the table since all Good models are dead so I can just loot everything and move off the table since I have infinite time?

3) In the Pillage scenario it says that you can set fire to buildings. The victor is determined by how many buildings are left. However, what does it matter when only the final game determines who has won or lost? Basically, only Loot Tokens matter since they allow the Evil player to increase the size of his army for the final battle. So why would the Evil player bother with trying to burn down the buildings they are looting? And why would the Good player bother to try to put out the fires, when they have better things to do (like stop the Evil models carrying loot off the table)?

4) In the Plunder scenario it states that after Evil has deployed their forces, good then gets to place halve his models as sentries anywhere on the board no closer than 6" to an other good model. What stops him from putting it 1" away from the forces of Evil and then automatically discovering them the first turn since Good always have priority the first turn?

If any of the above are actual problems (and not just me being making Newbie mistakes/assumptions) are there any easy solutions?

Thanks for taking the time reading this! Happy to finally have a chance to be apart of this awesome game!!! :D
 Post subject: Re: The Misty Mountains Campaign
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can't say I have ever heard of this campaign. Is it from an older white dwarf?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You can find the campaign on the D.C Hobbit League website: https://www.dchobbitleague.com/games-workshop-articles.html
They are currently in the process of uploading all of the old White Dwarf articles. Which is wonderful!!!

The direct download link of the campaign is: https://www.dchobbitleague.com/uploads/4/5/9/3/45938835/misty_mountains_campaign_1.pdf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well that is something I can say I have never seen before. I can't speak to its balance but it look fun enough to try.

I think you only get a score for tokens you get off the board rather than just have on the board unless you wipe out all opposition. If you do wipe out the good side then I reckon the Goblins win with whatever they've got in their hands just then. You might consider making a few house rules to give the goblins a better reward for sacking a town.

For the burning buildings, I think it is assumed that both players will play to win the scenarios one at a time rather than the whole campaign. Again, I think a house rule to give the good side a bonus for defending the buildings at the end would sort it out. Something like access to a militiaman (lake-town profile) for each building saved in the final battle or something.

Realism I guess. House rule. Sentries must be within 18'in of board center or not closer than 8'in to an enemy model would fix that I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mythstar wrote:
You can find the campaign on the D.C Hobbit League website: https://www.dchobbitleague.com/games-workshop-articles.html
They are currently in the process of uploading all of the old White Dwarf articles. Which is wonderful!!!

The direct download link of the campaign is: https://www.dchobbitleague.com/uploads/4/5/9/3/45938835/misty_mountains_campaign_1.pdf

Look interesting, but the PDF seems to miss the 2 final scenario's to actually complete the campaign. Do you know if these will be uploaded as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Those scenarios are there. I think they are listed under "Plunder".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

After reading the suggestions of Wan Shi Tong my mind started getting creative. I've decided the following:

If the goblins wipe out the defenders they gain all the loot they have collected so far as well as any loot currently being carried by them on the board. However, they have damaged/killed so much of the town that it is impossible for the population to recover. Hence the town is completely removed from the map for the rest of the campaign.
I think this is a very thematic solution. This will encourage the goblins to simply do a lightning raid of towns in the first few turns of the campaign to keep as much towns viable to loot so that good have a hard time predicting where they will strike. However, the last campaign turn is an ideal time to go big and completely raze villages to the ground to gain maximum loot. This will in turn explain why the forces of good decided enough is enough and send a full expedition to kill the goblin king in the final campaign scenario battle.

As far as the burning buildings to the ground is concerned, I will house rule that the defenders gain -1 defence points for each house burned to the ground. This represents the fact they will need to rebuild instead of using their resources to fortify their towns. This gives a nice incentive for both sides (evil to create a distraction; good to protect and reinforce).

Finally, I will house rule that sentries must be deployed more than 6” away from ANY other models.

Thanks Wan for your input!