All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

Post subject: Help with building!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello this is Greysword. I am an old lover of the game since it was released from DEEAGOSTINI. Some time ago i found that they released a box of Pelenor Fields with thousands of figures and everything i need to start the game again.

But all i want is to get help of creating a nice terrain for myself. I would like to ask those who already have the box set. Does the books inside contain any INSTRUCTIONS of making structures like houses; hills; lakes etc? And also instructions on COLOURING the figures? I remember back in Deagostini's magazines there used to be instructions for these things.

If not is anyone out there who could tell me what materials i need to create a house or a hill for example BALSA wood; a small modeling knife etc.

Any guides would be very helpful!
 Post subject: Re: Help with building!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Welcome to the forum!

So, sadly, the books no longer offer painting instructions. The happy news is you can get tips for painting entirely free! Just download the Citadel Paint app to your device of choice. It's ad free and absolutely wonderful--I use it all the time.

There are sort of instructions on how to make a hobbit house in the new Scouring of the Shire book, but you have to buy a front from Forgeworld, and it's quite pricey. I would recommend checking out the rest of the forums and YouTube. There are terrain videos to keep you busy for weeks and they range from leftover cardboard boxes to truly expansive (and expensive) boards.

Have fun and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello Greysword,

I fully agree with GreatKhanArtist's advice. But here are some supplementary ideas of my own.

Maybe you can get some old GW-Rulebooks on ebay for little money. In the first book about the "Fellowship" there are given instructions how to build scenery elements. They are single objects like hills or woods which can be placed onto a flat surface like a board or a gaming mat.

It is also possible to build a permanent landscape. There are great examples in the web or on youtube, but it is a much greater project to construct such a landscape than just a sample of hills, woods, ruins or houses.

For a start I recommend building some small hills, made of "styrodur" (in German), which is a material sold in plates for insulation of walls. You carve a piece of it into the form of a hill, put white glue and sand plus small stones onto it an paint it. Then you can add some static grass or flocking material to simulate plants. It's easy to do and cheap, and it will be useful for gaming as well as for presentation of your models.

Good luck!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello and welcome Greysword!

Some excellent advise is already given by Great Khan Artist and werennor.

For painting the figures, I'd recommend YouTube tutorials or written guides. For the Warriors of Rohan in the Pelennor Fields box set for example, I'd highly recommend this guide: https://www.hobbitarn.com/2018/08/29/ho ... -of-rohan/

For creating terrain, there are also many great guides on the web and YouTube. However, I personally still often use those DeAgostini magazines because they cover such a wide range of possible terrain, generally with cheap and easy to find materials. So I'd actually recommend picking those up on eBay or similar websites, since they are often not that expensive and often also contain narrative scenarios, which I find highly enjoyable. Once you have the basics down, it's easy to improvise and come up with creations of your own. That goes for creating terrain, but also for miniature painting.

If you don't have objections against buying terrain, you can easily find affordable and nice looking trees in most hobby stores (they are a pain to make yourself in my opinion). There is a wealth of great other types of terrain for purchase as well, though cost may vary greatly. My favourite store so far is Ziterdes (https://www.ziterdes.com/) and Thomarillion (https://www.thomarillion.de/?language=en&page=news). They carry very similar stock, I believe Ziterdes is a larger franchise while Thomarillion actually creates most of the terrain. Another great website is Amera Plastic Mouldings (http://www.amera.co.uk/?LMCL=f0n_Bc), which makes very cheap but effective terrain. TTCombat (https://ttcombat.com/) and Sarissa Precision (https://sarissa-precision.com/) make great terrain out of MDF.

Good luck and have fun! The Pelennor Fields starter box set is really wonderful and one of the best deals you'll ever find within this game. :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is some work of mine. It's so fun to create your own buildings and stuff! Still work in progress.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

dsd
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice progress! I like how you are using available materials to make terrain/scenery. Looking forward to seeing more.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is the final build!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's a nice gaming board.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Agree, very good looking board ... would also like to see some close up pics of the house and the hills if you’d be so inclined to post them

Good stuff all around