All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 am

Post subject: Riders of Rohan Shooting Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey everyone!

Just getting back into the game after a few years and trying to learn some of the new rules. So, are the Riders of Rohan able to shoot after moving their mount's full 10" or do they suffer the same penalty as an infantry model for moving over 1/2 their movement? I'm getting conflicting answers from the local group. I tried to search your database but didn't find an answer, so apologize if this has been discussed before. Thanks for your help!
 Post subject: Re: Riders of Rohan Shooting Question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome back to the hobby.

They follow the standard rules for shooting (as there is nothing to state the rules are any different for them).

If they move more than half (more than 5 inches) then they can’t shoot.

If they move up to half (5 inches or less) then they can shoot with -1 to hit.

If they don’t move then they can shoot without any modifiers.

Hope that helps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Farmer Maggot is completely right in his explanation if the riders are using bows for shooting.
What maybe was a reason for the ambiguity in the answers you got: riders of Rohan can use throwing spears in the shooting phase, if they are equipped with these arms.

Throwing spears have slightly differing rules, but these rules are pure standard too, no special treatment for Rohan. Throwing spears can be thrown even after a full movement with a malus of 1 for hitting, if the riders had moved more than half. And when charging a rider can throw his spear at the model he is attacking without this malus.

Enough confusion now? Sorry, if so. Take a look in the rulebook, the riders are using just the normal rules for shooting/ throwing.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the clarification guys! Someone had suggested that the mounted 'shooter' was not the model moving but his mount instead, so he was able to circumvent the penalty. I thought that was a bit of a stretch and you have solved that discussion for us. The throwing spear rules I also had to look back on after your replies though. So they only have the -1 penalty if they move more than half movement on throwing spears? And no penalty at all if they are charging the model, regardless of how far they've moved...

Most of the rules are pretty clear, but there must be some ambiguity in this...or I'm just playing the wrong people who are trying to bend the rules to their will. I also play Rohan so I don't want them teaching me the cheaters way to play that army.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Good call werennor about throwing spears.

If you use a Throwing Spear when charging, you don’t get any modifier to the roll. If you throw a spear in the shooting phase you get -1 if you made any movement at all.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hi Farmer Maggot, thank you for Clearing my mistake. Of cause you're right, the malus for shooting comes in effect when the shooter has moved. Once I did know this rule correctly, but with time my Knowledge seems to erodate.

And thanks to you, Siegrend, for posting this question, because we both and maybe some Readers too have learned some facts about shooting.