All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:57 am

Post subject: Fellbeast's low fight value
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello. How am i supposed to handle the low fight value of a fellbeast? If enemy has a hero with a higher fight value, it seems that using fellbeast to physically attack the enemy would be borderline suicidal, especially considering the fact that transfixing does not reduce fight and attack values? So if both have 3 dices, fellbeast is unlikely to win the combat. If next turn enemy gets to move first he will outright kill the fellbeast?
 Post subject: Re: Fellbeast's low fight value
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, you can get a named wraith that has heroic strike. A transfixed enemy cannot counter-call on you so you'd be able to strike up and then have the higher fight. Could also channel transfix beforehand so that the fight of the enemy will be halved in combat.

It's worth remembering that wraiths are not supposed to be goons or beat-sticks and if you expect one to just sidled up to Aragorn with no support, it'll have a hard time as you have pointed out. Most wraiths are not great at dueling big heroes. You cannot relying on giving a wraith wings to turn him into a match for Gil Galad or Thranduil or Azog; even if you are paying close to the same price.

You can rely on the wraith's wings to provide maneuvering to line up spells, pick off banners and weaker supporting heroes, and generally set up a situation where the big powerful hero is open to be attached by not just the wraith, but also some other warriors or a troll or another hero and then, if you win, you'll be able to kill him thanks to the knock to the ground rule and the higher strength of the fell beast. That is where I think you'll have to put you're attentions in you want to use the fell beast to its best effect against big heroes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, considering that a fellbeast has limited will, how much should a standard fellbeast use its will on spells, how much on fighting, in an average game. Let's use Dark Marshal as an example because he has a very standard 2-14-2. Could it be like 5 will on fight, 7 will on spells and 2 will on survival?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think it depends on the flow of the game and the opportunities that present themselves, but I'd generally think you'd want to spend more will on casting than in combat. Perhaps just 3 or 4 turns worth of well placed combats would be enough to get the effect that is needed. Could also depend on whether your wraith is also the general/is worth victory points to have alive. If not, might as well burn all the will up doing something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So, basically, a fellbeast cannot replace a troll, whose job is to go to the front line and fight every turn? But a fellbeast can and should support a troll with spells, and situationally attack flank or grap an object?

In that case i could imagine that undying or witch king are the best fellbeasts due to having best spells and staying power?

Could Darkmarshal be situationally a good pick due to having fight 6, so it could easier kill lots of mid tier enemy heroes, for example eomer has only f5, while still having decent spells?

Is fellbeast a bad leader for an army? Would it be better to have lets say vanilla ringwraith 2-14-2 on fellbeast and then a troll chieftain would be the leader so thst the ringwraith could be used more aggressively?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That would be my assessment of things basically, yeah.

I think if you want to try to use the wraith to fight your best bet would be Khamul since he can get to fight 6, has strike, and can regain will while on his fell beast (least ways I'm pretty sure he can). But he and the Knight and Dark Marshal aren't much for spell casting in the same way the Undying and Witchking are.

As for having a generic wraith leading an army over a troll chieftain. I would think it would work out to have the chieftain in command more often then naught, but reverse calculation is still equally true: having the wraith be the general and keeping him out of combat means he's more likely to survive while you can be more aggressive with the troll who has to be in combat most of the time anyway. So, I think it would be more of a positive one way or the other based on the mission requirements for the general.