All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:55 pm

Post subject: Beginner looking for advice – Mordor
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

after a long hiatus I'm finally getting back into this fantastic game.
I've managed to get my hands on a witch king / ring wraith on fellbeast and a box of morgul knights.

What kind of army list would you recommend and what units would you build around this core?

Any help would be much appreciated!
 Post subject: Re: Beginner looking for advice – Mordor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you've got the witch king and some morgul knights, you need to get lots of orcs for them to lead.

Your best bet might be to get the new box set that's coming out, which will give you 24 morannon orcs, a troll and Gothmog, who would all add together with the first models for a nice Mordor army:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... osgiliath/

That's coming out in December.

You could also watch out for the Mordor battleforce coming out at some point in next few months:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... ost-boxes/

For a big game you'll want more than 24 orcs, so if you don't want to wait for these boxes to be available, just pick up a pack of 24 Mordor orcs or 24 morannon orcs as a first step. The morannons are stronger and probably a better choice for list-building as slightly better value in game points.

You might find morannon orcs really cheap on ebay as they had them included in the recent Pelennor boxed game and they'll also be in the new boxed game, so some people will likely sell the sprues off.

The box of warg riders could be a good investment, and watch out for if Khardush the firecaller becomes available, as it's a nice model and very good in the game.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:31 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice! I found a cheap bundle of three Morannon Orc sprues on eBay, so that should do for the rabble. I also got the Witch King kit for the foot variant in case the fell beast gets its head chopped off. I might use the horse for lower points values – a truly beautiful sculpt.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Would this be fine for starters?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That looks a pretty fun list to try.

I think it may not be strictly tournament-legal, as the Shadow Lord is a hero of Valour rather than Legend, so can only lead 15 models in his warband, not 18.

Otherwise, there's quite a lot of numbers, some magic, and some speed (from the task-master's heroic march and the drummer).

If I was trying to be really competitive in a tournament, I would probably look to add something with a higher fight value, as the highest here is 5. You could try switching the Shadow Lord for Khamul (who can strike), or the Knight of Umbar, who can match values with his enemy. (You can probably test out all the profiles with the same model, since none of them have a specific model on fell-beast anyway).

A troll could be another option for getting some high fight value into the army. You should be able to get a plastic troll fairly affordably, including in the Pelennor/Osgiliath starter sets.

Or perhaps one of the named orc captains with strike ... Gorbag and Grishnakh are pretty low points. You probably don't need both the taskmaster and the drummer, as either march or drumming would give you speed, so that could free up some points.

Shagrat is higher points, but if you saved some more points across the list would give you some good combat power, including strike.