All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:20 am

Post subject: Treating hills as difficult terrain?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In my local community people are treating hills as difficult terrain or sometimes only the unequal part of it, the slope. I always found it as a silly thing (imagine what happens in the high hill scenario..) and after a long search in the rules I din't find it being mentioned anywhere.

So, what is happening in the great tournaments? What do you think is the official approach?

Post subject: Re: Treating hills as difficult terrain?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't have "official" answers but making hill inclines that rise to steeply for a model to be balanced on the surface difficult terrain is common practice as far as I have seen. But whether it makes sense or not would depend primarily on what the hill looks like. These hills I have seen are built for warhammer 40k, angled at 60 or 70 degrees, or steeply terraced so that things larger than 25mm bases can not be balanced in some parts. But they are also grass covered and have no rocks or trees to indicate that they are anything but a stylized hill covered in low turf.

From what the rules say, however, what does and does not count as difficult terrain seems to be at the total desecration of the players at the start of the game and not closely fixed by the rules themselves. And I have been at some large tournaments where we did have to decide during each game as we went. That means you'll have to argue with people against it or start exploiting the classification to make them want to change it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hmmm correct point of view. Probably, making the uneven part of the hill difficult terrain is the most balanced way of approaching the rules. I will try to make it clear in the rules for a tournament if I am the one organizing it.

Btw, one more strange point of view is that monsters (trolls) can't move in uneven ground if their base does not allow it. Completely stupid. What about realism? A troll can never walk in the hill? Will it fall if it moves in smooth uneven ground? And this opinion is widely known...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I am not sure what you mean by "uneven ground." Not like a door it cant fit through or things one the ground it had to step over but what is the impediment that is considered to be stopping the troll?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "uneven ground." Not like a door it cant fit through or things one the ground it had to step over but what is the impediment that is considered to be stopping the troll?

By uneven ground I mean the sloping side of a hill. Their idiotic logic is that a big base cannot stand in it, so the model cannot get on the hill. Of course it is mistaken, of course it is dump, I just mentioned one of the most strange things I ever heard in wargaming...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:42 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When it comes to hills, my opponent and I just discuss prior to play. Usually, if the hill is free of debris and a base can stand on it, we treat it as normal movement / not difficult terrain. If the hill does have debris, such as rocks, that prevent bases from standing, then we will consider it difficult terrain.
As for the slopes on a hill, that also warrants discussion. If it is a gentle slope where a base can tilt on it (say 45 degrees) I'll call it normal. Any more than that and we are thinking about calling it a climb test. I guess when it comes to slopes, if it seems gentle with a gradual incline it's normal. If it looks like the terrain is supposed to be hard to get up, it's going to be difficult or requiring a climb test.

Paul DCHL