All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:59 pm

Post subject: epic hero special rules confirmation
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:11 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ok, to get short

I talked to GW staff and their answer about the special rules for Epic Heroes is that the special rules transfer to theCompany that includes the epic hero

regards
Philippe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That can someone of the staf say but the rulebook says that a epic hero get's the rules and wargear of his formation but otherwise not. I know that's a little bit strange cause why have all that heros then special rules but always listen to the rulebook. :rofl:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's like situations with Galadriel or ringwraiths, they've got Spirit Grasp, and when they're in a formation without SG the company in which they are gets to attack on courage instead of defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
It's like situations with Galadriel or ringwraiths, they've got Spirit Grasp, and when they're in a formation without SG the company in which they are gets to attack on courage instead of defence

That to me is hard to agree with becasue they are only getting half the rule doesn't Spirit Grasp have some movement benefits to? Sorry my book in not handy. And what makes those few in regular troopers in the command company special? I think to get the benefits from Spirit Grasp you have to be in a formatoin with spirit grasp. I don't know this is definatly one that needs to be in a official FAQ.

Sildien[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:19 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Spirit Grasp is different from Spirit Walk...and this interpretation of it is the idea of the Hero fighting directly, so the 8 attacks plus bonuses of the command company benefit from the Hero's rules. Still waiting on that FAQ...

Post subject: Re: epic hero special rules confirmation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Adanedhel wrote:
ok, to get short

I talked to GW staff and their answer about the special rules for Epic Heroes is that the special rules transfer to theCompany that includes the epic hero

regards
Philippe

Well that confirms it, Epic Abilities are NOT transfered, as we all know that staff alway's get rules questions wrong. :)

There is a box-out in the rules that clearly states abilities are not transfered unless otherwise stated, the only way to overturn that rule officially is by confirmation from Mat Ward.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Already a old discusion like on TLA:does warg get a extra attack? :lol:

Its all about the strange text in the box on page 69 of the book. You can read the text like this one:

The epic hero gains the special rules from the company he joins, likewise the company he joins gets his special rules. Unless explicitly stated other companies in that formation do not get those special rules.

I think this is the way most people read it and play like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No offense but how can you read different?

They say that a company doesn't get the rules of a hero how can you read that different? And hithero is right games-workshop staff says much but not everything is right.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The word is likewise a hero can join a company.
The companies mentioned further in that box are the other comapnies in the formaiton and not the one the hero joined.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ask yourself what's more likely:

1: The designers went to the trouble to assign many special abilities to many epic heroes for no reason, with no intention of those rules ever coming into play...

...or...

2: The designers forgot to include the word "other" between "an Epic Hero's special rules are not shared by" and "companies in the formation he has joined," thus unintentionally creating an ambiguous rule statement.

If you really think that the first is more likely, we should come up with some sort of friendly wager to be settled when the official FAQ is released.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ugh...I hate this debate....

I already played with the rules transfering to the heroes company because:

a) its more fun that way
B) heroes aren't so bland and tasteless with the special rules
c) i think thats the way it was intended to be played

as far as I am concerned, the word of this employee is good enough for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you take the view that rules do tranffer to the company then the already very strong ringwraith with 3 very good spells per turn now gives his company terror, spirit walk and spirit grasp.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It would be a strange thing to give a single company the spirit walk rule as you can not move one company away from the rest of the formation.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Esspecialy that Ringwriaths don't have the Spiritl Walk special rule...

I also belive that epic heros should give their special rules for the company that thy are in. At least that's how we're playing in Poland(at least in the places that I know 'bout). In other case why the hell they'd have them.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yes the ringwraiths are strong, but so is Durzag...so that doesn't really mean anything. its already been established that terror was already an effect that carried over to the company so the only thing really gained is spirit grasp. Also its worth noting that nazgul tend to crank off on average about 2 spells a turn... rarely will you manage all three they are capable of

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you play for fun then is it better to transfer the rules to the company and I also think they have made a mistake. Many heros have special rules and I don't think they have give them just for fun and a fate forgot the name gives your hero terror but if he not gives it to his company what can you do then with that fate?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Terror is a very different concern, as it specifically says that you test against Terror causing creatures not formations. However, more and more, I am agreeing that the command company benefits from rules such as Spirit Grasp, Orcbane, Trollbane, etc. This makes certain heroes make sense with their point costs, others more of a bargain, and it seems to fit the ideas of the game better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I asked Matt Ward at Gamesday.

FAQ could quite soon but could be months down the line depending on workload. By December possibly

Epic Hero abilities do not transfer, they are there for completeness. (I forgot to ask specific questions about terror etc as I was helping run a demo and was late getting back)

Basically "play the game how you want" was Matts response. The idea is that players interpret the rulebooks as there are some situations that will never be covered.

I did challenge this attitude as it is useless for tournaments
still awaiting an answer
Oh well, wont be attending WOTR tournaments anyway !!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the post, Bugsplat.

Bugsplat wrote:

Epic Hero abilities do not transfer, they are there for completeness.

Wonder what he means by "completeness"? Those special abilities don't really complete anything as far as a number of them are concerned. I could understand if there were units that also had the abilities, but in some cases, the epic hero is the only instance of these listed abilities occurring. Weird.

Bugsplat wrote:
Basically "play the game how you want" was Matts response. The idea is that players interpret the rulebooks as there are some situations that will never be covered.

I guess I agree with the spirit of that response, but it sounds a bit lazy as written. What do we pay these clowns for when we buy a book if we're to make it up as we go along? There is going to be some play in the logic and RAW in a miniatures game - no doubt... I completely accept that, but this one bizarre statement is costing the game players, hands down. My local group was very excited about this game until we started hitting major roadblocks like this with the rules.

I want the designers to tell me a bit more than "play how you want!" That's what I did with my GI Joes when I was 7.

Oh and I'm reminded of the time I received 3... THREE separate emails from three different GW staff members confirming that a Skink Chief could use his ballistic skill when firing giant blowpipes or bows off of his stegadon mount. (One in fact went so far as to describe why he could even shoot both the blowpipes with his BS in one turn). I had a great time blasting away on 2 and 3 plusses before the official Lizardmen FAQ came out and ruined my fun.

My lesson learned was that the GW rules department is full of fail and the answer could easily change in the FAQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That whole delay to december rubs me the wrong way since at Chicago GD Jervis said the darn FAQ was DONE but needed to be translated. GW really seems to be treating this faq like a red headed stepchild since they brought out a faq for Space Hulk REALLY quickly after the release...