All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:48 am

Post subject: Email sent to GW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I ve sent to GW's email for rule question that provide in their errata the following questions. As Hobbit is not being their priority I fell they will not answer me. So I ask em here, please refer to the rules if you gonna answer :)

1) About Shade: Some people are insisting that if an enemy hero is under effect of the shade's "Chill aura" rule, then he cannot use Might to increase the attack roll. So the hero can't get a 6 when fighting near a shade. I can't find that so I would like an esurance if they are right or no.

2) About a model standing: Some people insist that if a model is not standing in a terrain's space then you can't move it there. For example if a troll (a tall one metallic one) is moving to stand in the sloping edge of a hill, and the model can't stand there (while every other model can) due to its geometry and falls, then you can't move it there and you can't move it to this hill ever (imagine it on a high hill scenario). I don't believe this exist as a rule because if you cut the legs of the troll then it would stand...

3) About mounted Saruman: There is no mounted version of Saruman other than the "Orthanc" release. Could someone use this model for a "white council" good Saruman? Otherwise he can't field a mounted good side Saruman. The only excuse here for not using him is tha the release is named "orthanc" which refers to the evil Saruman.

Post subject: Re: Email sent to GW
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:20 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

1) The Shade only confers a -1 on the initial Duel roll. It has no effect on Might use, and doesn't stop Heroes from subsequently spending Might to alter their roll. If they roll a 6, the Shade's effect makes this into a 5, after which the Hero can spend a point of Might to boost his score to a 6, exactly as described in the Might section of the main rulebook. It is no different than if there had been no Shade, and the Hero had simply rolled a 5 that they wanted to boost to a 6.

2) The rules have little details on where a model can and can't move, but the usual consensus is that a figure should be able to fit in a space, which is to say his base fits there (as the base is supposed to show the area the model requires to move about). Given the variety of poses and materials, the exact balance point of a figure really shouldn't matter, as tall, top-heavy figures like banners would be at an immediate disadvantage, for no good reason. Try turning the models on the spot, weigh down the base or simply use an empty base of similar size for as long as is needed (placing the correct model back to check line of sight if necessary). Seriously, it's a game, play casual.

3) What model other than Saruman on horseback should be used to represent Saruman on a horse? Given the context of the army (Good or Evil), the used profile should be really quite clear. Technically, a converted White Council pose Saruman would be an even more accurate representation of that version on a horse, but really? Seems like quite the waste of many hours of converting and sculpting to get something similar to a figure readily available.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
1) The Shade only confers a -1 on the initial Duel roll. It has no effect on Might use, and doesn't stop Heroes from subsequently spending Might to alter their roll. If they roll a 6, the Shade's effect makes this into a 5, after which the Hero can spend a point of Might to boost his score to a 6, exactly as described in the Might section of the main rulebook. It is no different than if there had been no Shade, and the Hero had simply rolled a 5 that they wanted to boost to a 6.

2) The rules have little details on where a model can and can't move, but the usual consensus is that a figure should be able to fit in a space, which is to say his base fits there (as the base is supposed to show the area the model requires to move about). Given the variety of poses and materials, the exact balance point of a figure really shouldn't matter, as tall, top-heavy figures like banners would be at an immediate disadvantage, for no good reason. Try turning the models on the spot, weigh down the base or simply use an empty base of similar size for as long as is needed (placing the correct model back to check line of sight if necessary). Seriously, it's a game, play casual.

3) What model other than Saruman on horseback should be used to represent Saruman on a horse? Given the context of the army (Good or Evil), the used profile should be really quite clear. Technically, a converted White Council pose Saruman would be an even more accurate representation of that version on a horse, but really? Seems like quite the waste of many hours of converting and sculpting to get something similar to a figure readily available.

Fast and accurate. Thank you for your time :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just wanted to say that Coenus is right about question 1 and I agree with him about 2 & 3.

I constantly play games where models slide down hills and people generally just have a gentlemanly agreement about where the model is. As long as a model's base can fit somewhere the model can go there, specific models don't get penalised on top of that.

As for the Saruman question, anyone who's trying to stop you using mounted Saruman as a Good Saruman on horse is not playing the game for the right reasons. That model is used as Good Saruman on horse all the time on the UK tournament scene.

Hope that helps!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dr Grant wrote:
is not playing the game for the right reasons.

Well said!!!

Btw they answered me from Gw giving me exactly the same answers like Coenus Scaldingus. So problem is solved, thank you all!