All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

Post subject: Exact CURRENT hurl rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What is it?

I still dont see why something cant hurl backwards. Its easier to pick something up and throw it behind you than it is to pick it up wind back and throw it using the opposite momentum forward......stupid.

Post subject: Re: Exact CURRENT hurl rule
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's those dang Brits, they had to go and change it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Officially, the current Hurl rule is the one in the main Hobbit rulebook alongside the amendments in the official FAQs.

However, the ruling that is in the GBHL Community FAQ has come direct from GW games development and is, in their words, how they want the rule to be played. It out-dates the current FAQs and so, in all honesty, is the current ruling and is very much how GW intend it to be played.

However, I know this is not enough for some people and they will only use the rulings published in 'official' documents and so you are free to use whichever ruling you wish.

Hope that helps

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My problem with the FAQ is that they almost completely changed how you determine where the model is thrown. The original rules are pretty clear on how it works, and the FAQ is so different. It's not a clarification, it's almost a complete rules change.

That said, the new way does make it much easier to decimate shield walls, which is always a plus.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Just wait. Once MESBG is released we'll get another $80 manual with all the changes incorporated.

DISCLAIMER: I don't actually know that. The above statement is pure sarcasm built on the wisdom of experience.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The rules themselves are solid and are for the most part the same. The only huge differences in rules mechanics are the weapons and monsters. The monsters NEEDED the change while the weapons make sense, but just weren't quite pulled off. Again, if it was a straight modifiers, I would use them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

@draug @jdizzy first comment lol

@Dr. Grant
Thank you for the info spot on as always

Anyone know where the FAQ hurl is? I tried to Google it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

black library?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's a GBHL FAQ, but I think that the DCHL website has it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I guess Dr. grant can you tell or show me the FAQ that GW sent to you apparently? Thanks man.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Dr. grant can you tell or show me the FAQ that GW sent to you apparently?

This is the entry from the GBHL Community FAQ that has come from GW. The latest version of the FAQ is available in the Files section of the GBHL Facebook page.

Hurl Errata

Replace the Hurl rules on page 63 of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook with the following:

Hurl

Nominate a single enemy model involved in the Fight with a Strength lower than the monster to be the Hurled model, all other enemy models in the Fight (if there are any) except the Hurled model back away 1” as normal. Then follow these steps:

1) Choose a direction for the nominated model to be hurled.

2) Roll a D6 and add the difference between the the two models’ Strength values - this is the Hurl Distance.

3) Move the nominated model the full distance, in inches, equal to the Hurl Distance, in a straight line, measuring from the point where the monster and the Hurled model are touching - only stopping if it contacts a tree, wall or similar Obstacle or a model with Strength 6 or greater. At the end of its move, the model is placed Prone. Note that the Hurled model may not pass over any part of the monster’s base as part of the Hurl movement.

The Hurl then continues as normal from point 4 as explained on page 63 of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey rulebook (GWA)

Draugluin wrote:
The original rules are pretty clear on how it works, and the FAQ is so different. It's not a clarification, it's almost a complete rules change.

I disagree, before the ruling in our Community FAQ, the common practice was that people were frequently picking up the Hurled model and moving it to anywhere around the monster's base and Hurling it form there. Despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing in the rulebook that implies you can pick-up or move the model in the slightest. The GBHL ruling has come from us feeding this back to GW and them essentially saying "oh no no no no, that's not right". Our clarification above is not a rules change, it does not in any way contradict the rules in the rulebook, it simply stops people picking the Hurled model up and moving it which was never the intention.

Draugluin wrote:
That said, the new way does make it much easier to decimate shield walls, which is always a plus.

Really? How so? The only thing the ruling does is limit the number of directions that you can Hurl in, it makes it less powerful if anything.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It makes it much less powerful. I was curious about that myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:38 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dr Grant wrote:

Draugluin wrote:
The original rules are pretty clear on how it works, and the FAQ is so different. It's not a clarification, it's almost a complete rules change.

I disagree, before the ruling in our Community FAQ, the common practice was that people were frequently picking up the Hurled model and moving it to anywhere around the monster's base and Hurling it form there. Despite the fact that there is absolutely nothing in the rulebook that implies you can pick-up or move the model in the slightest. The GBHL ruling has come from us feeding this back to GW and them essentially saying "oh no no no no, that's not right". Our clarification above is not a rules change, it does not in any way contradict the rules in the rulebook, it simply stops people picking the Hurled model up and moving it which was never the intention.

Draugluin wrote:

Really? How so? The only thing the ruling does is limit the number of directions that you can Hurl in, it makes it less powerful if anything.

Here's from the released GW FAQ, v1.2: Q: When a Monster makes a Hurl attack, do you measure the distance hurled from the base of the Monster making the Hurl attack or the target model’s base? (pg 63) A: Measure from the Hurling Monster’s base.
Q: If a Monster chooses to Hurl, can it Hurl from any point on its base or only where its base touches the target model’s base? (pg 63) A: Any point on the Monster’s base.
Combined with: 4: All models passed through (excluding the hurling monster...
It's pretty clear that the intent was that you can move the model to wherever you want. If that was not the intent, then they really failed at writing rules.

I guess I misread it, but I had always assumed that after you chose any point on the Monster's base (meaning you choose a point and measure from there) the model is thrown directly away from the monster. Meaning that you would have to be lined up just right at the end of a shield wall to be able to throw all the way down the line. With the GBHL FAQ, you just need to charge a model in a shield wall and you can just throw down the line in which ever direction.