All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Post subject: Effect of scenic bases
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:30 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Does putting a miniature on a tall, scenic base affect the model's ability to target or be targeted? For example, if I put an archer on a scenic base with a tall rock, it can see and be seen over other models/terrain. The rules mention using the model's eye view to determine what it can see. With that logic, I might more carefully consider giving my heroes scenic bases so that they don't get picked off more easily from magic/archers.

I've looked around for the answer to this question but haven't found anything, so I apologize if this is specifically answered somewhere. Thank you for any clarification you all can provide.
 Post subject: Re: Effect of scenic bases
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You can't make a base that deliberately obscures/makes it more difficult to target the hero. That's power gaming and is not only frowned upon but also considered cheating my many TOs. There is some slight wiggle room, if the base is a very thematic base and it happens to mean the hero is slightly harder to see that might be okay. But you can't stick a wall there and say now there's an in the way. People seriously dislike players converting their fell beasts so that their tail goes towards the base, so that they get in the way rolls. There is at least somewhat of a justification as the old metal fb had its tail on the base.

Heroes being slightly elevated will give them a better field of view, but will expose them to more bowfire. If you wanted to protect them, you would have to elevate your troops and leave your heroes on basic bases... Might be a bit obvious what's happening.

To a degree, common sense needs to be used. Some of the rangers of Gondor come kneeling, they would not be able to see over hedges or walls. Can they not shoot? Or can they stand to shoot? But if I can't see them and they can stand to shoot, how is that fair? Just get 10 of that model, put them behind a wall and shoot without being shot back = profit.

The way my group plays is that models count as standing for the purpose of line of sight for both players except when laying down.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

As for deliberately elevating models for LOS, it really is tough to make a blanket rule - some players put a lot of effort into their bases and have a particular direction in mind, while others are power gamers out for a boost. The position on the base and its elevation does impact the game, so we have to work as a community to not abuse it or in the future the game will strip us of that option - take special strikes, new models from here on in will have their weapons specifically listed to stop wood elves and haradrim with axes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the response! Very thorough.

I have no actual tournament experience, so I haven't run into the larger community's thoughts on it. I ask because I had a few of my heroes get wrecked (in a friendly game) because I had put them on scenic rock bases. I can definitely see where it can be potentially abused, but it's good to know that the player has the latitude to make the decision to use scenic bases or not.