All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:04 am

Post subject: Swapping Weapon-Types
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Cheers!
I joined this forum many years ago but was following it quietly until now, so this is actually my first post :oops:

I recently purchased the "Pellenor Box" (finally) and already read through the rule book several times. Overall, I'm quite fond of the new rules (it totally made up for "the mess" that the Hobbit book felt like to me) but there's one tingeling question, I can't find an answer to:

It's regarding the "swapping weapons"-rule. In my german rule book it states on page 86 (so probabaly some/many pages earlier in the english version), something like "you may have changed the weapons of some models, they were delivered with, maybe because of aesthetic reasons, maybe because you wanted an advantage at the game"[...]"swapping a kind of weapon from the following list [list of different kinds of weapons] for another one of the same kind (one-handed, two-handed, ect.) costs 1 point extra".

I'm totally unsure, what they mean by that (but maybe it's just bad german translation and clearer in the english version). Does it mean

a) When you change the weapon of the original model GW produced, you have to pay +1 point, no matter what?

b) When you give the model a weapon, that's not originally an option in its profile, you pay +1 point?

E.g. an army of Rohan: Infantry may have swords or axes as handweapons. Let's say I convert all my 24 Rohirrim from a box to have axes. Is this convertion free or do I have to pay +1 point for every model, that didn't have an axe in it's "vanilla" state?

It's obvious to me, that they introduced this rule to prevent unfair builds like wood elves with axes for free and b) seems like the reasonable answer, but still, it's nowhere clearly stated in the (german) rulebook.

What do you think? Is there an official answer? I don't want to turn up at my next tournament with my completely converted ork army and pay +1 for everyone, just because I swapped an ork's sword for another ork's pickaxe.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Beste Grüße,
Aldaron
 Post subject: Re: Swapping Weapon-Types
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Aldaron wrote:
Cheers!
I joined this forum many years ago but was following it quietly until now, so this is actually my first post :oops:

I recently purchased the "Pellenor Box" (finally) and already read through the rule book several times. Overall, I'm quite fond of the new rules (it totally made up for "the mess" that the Hobbit book felt like to me) but there's one tingeling question, I can't find an answer to:

It's regarding the "swapping weapons"-rule. In my german rule book it states on page 86 (so probabaly some/many pages earlier in the english version), something like "you may have changed the weapons of some models, they were delivered with, maybe because of aesthetic reasons, maybe because you wanted an advantage at the game"[...]"swapping a kind of weapon from the following list [list of different kinds of weapons] for another one of the same kind (one-handed, two-handed, ect.) costs 1 point extra".

I'm totally unsure, what they mean by that (but maybe it's just bad german translation and clearer in the english version). Does it mean

a) When you change the weapon of the original model GW produced, you have to pay +1 point, no matter what?

b) When you give the model a weapon, that's not originally an option in its profile, you pay +1 point?

E.g. an army of Rohan: Infantry may have swords or axes as handweapons. Let's say I convert all my 24 Rohirrim from a box to have axes. Is this convertion free or do I have to pay +1 point for every model, that didn't have an axe in it's "vanilla" state?

It's obvious to me, that they introduced this rule to prevent unfair builds like wood elves with axes for free and b) seems like the reasonable answer, but still, it's nowhere clearly stated in the (german) rulebook.

What do you think? Is there an official answer? I don't want to turn up at my next tournament with my completely converted ork army and pay +1 for everyone, just because I swapped an ork's sword for another ork's pickaxe.

Thanks in advance for your answers!
Beste Grüße,
Aldaron

In english it is stated as any weapon not listed on the profile. Also note that many tournaments require profile-only weapons. But an orc with a dagger or axe on the base profile can be converted to have either. Adding a mace, however, will require you to pay one point. Hope this helps. So b. 8) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Definitely b in the English book.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:18 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks a lot, guys! :)
That's just the precise answer I needed (and hoped for). So, unfortunately, the german version seems to be flawed, as there's no mention of "weapon options" and just "weapons" in this specific section.

So this makes my 13 years old Ork army still playable. Every single model is converted, but not in an exotic style. All of the guys still got a handweapon, that's either sword, axe or pickaxe, so I'll be fine.

Thanks again, for your quick answer,
Aldaron