All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

Post subject: Volley fire
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi there,

It's been a while since I played the game, but I recently got back to the hobby.

I was wondering if bows lost the ability to fire in volley, or if this is a mistake of omission.
 Post subject: Re: Volley fire
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey, Ragimund, yeah, volley fire was taken out of the game when it transitioned into the hobbit era. It has yet to make a come back.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The only “volley fire” we have left is siege engines can shoot at targets they can’t see as long as someone anywhere in army can see the target, also this hits on a normal roll, not just a 6 like the old volley fire.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It's been very intentionally removed. It meant goblin archers were as effective as elven ones for accuracy and because of the numbers shooting, arguably more effective at long-ranged warfare. Nobody should be thinking goblins are able to outshoot elves.

The only instance of volley fire now is war machines and it just means they don't need direct line of sight.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Does anyone think that the range differences between bows are inbalanced? If enemy can outrange your archers it usually makes orc bows very useless and perhaps the intention is that orcs should not use bows anymore? I agree that the old volley fire rule was too overpowered for cheap orcs, but nowadays the situation seems to be reversed, because humans and elves pwn orcs hard, and they pwn not just by having a higher dmg and accurazy but also by havong a higher range and orcs might not even reach the enemy at all to fire?!?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Coming back into the hobby after a 15 year break, the removal of the volley rule was one of the things that annoyed me the most (next to all the convoluted semi-squad rules for "warbands"). I liked the idea that orcs were so bad at aiming that they might as well just shoot blindly, and that it was ought to work in larger numbers. It was something that made evil shooting worthwhile. It should have been nerfed somewhat instead of being removed entirely.