All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Post subject: Spear support and fight value
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:58 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys,
a few days ago I played a 400 points game with my Lothlórien force against Iron Hill dwarfs (and victory did go to Lothlórien, just for the record!). My opponent and me were struggling with a very common situation I think, so I hope someone could help us out and clarify:

We were debating about a specific fight where my side was taking part with a Galadrim Elf Warrior (fight 5, attack 1) fighting normal. He got spear support from a Guard of the Galadrim Court (fight 6, attack 1). Our questions is for the duell rolls:
Does Lothlórien side now throw two dice with each fight 6 (so highest fight value counts) or does Lothlórien side throw one dice with fight 5 and a second with fight 6 (so each model contributes its own fight value?) to see how wins the fight.

We were checking up resources to find an answer but were not satified with the outcome. I quotet the rulebook on page 84 where it says „If an unengaged model armed with a spear is in base contact with a friendly model, then it may contribute a single attack to the fight using its own fight value and strength.“
My colleague on the contrary found a clue on the following link (under „whirl“) where it says „Support them [the whirling model] with a spear-armed model and they can use the supporting model’s Fight value as well!“ which speaks for highest fight value counts.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Do you guys know any FAQ or something offical where rules are clarified? Any suggestions are highly appreciated because there could be fights were this could really be a huge thing! Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

RammasEchor
 Post subject: Re: Spear support and fight value
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The article is just an article, not an official ruling. There's nothing in the rules for the Whirl attack that allows the whirler to use the Fight value of spear support. There is also a recent errata for the game, and nothing is mentioned about the whirl attack. So the ruling on p84 stands.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

On page 47 of the rule book it says "when comparing the dice rolls to see which side has won, only consider the highest scoring dice and highest fight value on each side."

So if you draw the combat with one of your dice, I don't think you need to worry which of your models that dice "belongs" to.

But if you are using a hero with might it's important to keep those dice separate or different colours, as you will only be able to use might to alter the hero's dice.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi yes the supporting spear lends his fight value to the fight there is actually an example shown on page 86 showing Gil galad stopping the troll from feinting and having to stab due to Gil Galads supporting spear fight value, a good elven combo is to spear support a single or two handed feinting warrior infront as the front warriors drop in fv is now irrelevant with the support.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Great, this helps a lot! Thank you very much!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry to drag up an old topic but its's the most recent topic about fights with supports. We have only just got into the game and were playing the original A5 soft back rules from one of the box sets. We just got hold of the new rule book and we are slowly reading through and adapting to the changes.

The first couple of games we had I think we played wrong. If there was a F5 / S6 hero with 2A supported by 2 F3 / S3 pikes we would roll 4 dice in the duel using the hero's F5. This bit we have got right I think. When it came to the strikes though I am sure we got it wrong but I can't find any explicit wording or diagrams. The the attacks were resolved we again just rolled 4 dice but used the hero's S6 for all of them.

From reading I've done I'm sure this was wrong. For a start the hero may be able to use Might to increase his (but only his?) D6 scores. Secondly, the hero may wish to use Special Strikes like Feint or Stab which must be declared at the duel stage. But, more importantly, the way we were doing it, I always thought it odd that these pikes suddenly got a massive magical boost in effectiveness, becoming S6 weapons when they are only S3. If I understand it correctly, what SHOULD happen is:

Your hero and 2 pikes are fighting Ugluk, you roll 4 dice for the duel, hero rolls 2 green and the pikes roll 2 blue (or whatever colour). Ugluk rolls his 2 yellow dice. You hero and friends win, so they can all now strike. Now you should roll strikes from each combatant separately, fully resolving them, before going to the next strikes. When resolving these, if you start with the pikes you would resolve 2 attacks at their own S3. Then move onto the hero and resolve his attacks at S6, using any special strikes that have been declared.

My thoughts are that support weapons like pike and spear lend support yes, but they don't magically inherit the best combatant's S value in the ensuing strike resolution.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I do not have a citation for you, but the rules for supporting allow a supporting model to pass through a single one of the supporter's attacks to the combat. Meaning the supporter lends its his fight value to the pool along with the die for the duel rolls and has the strike resolved with the supporter's own strength and weapon rules (poison, +1 to wound etc). So, your understanding is correct.