All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Post subject: Targeting Spear Support During Shoot Phase
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

1.As the good player, can you target a model who is providing spear support for another friendly model.
2.If yes, do you roll an in the way check for the spear support model and the model that is in base contact with the enemy?
3.If yes, and the model in base contact with the enemy ends up dying, then that negates the fight phase correct?

As the evil player, question #1 would not apply but questions #2 and #3 still would.

Thanks
 Post subject: Re: Targeting Spear Support During Shoot Phase
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe your first question is formulated in a little misleading way, the spear support is given to a friendly model, but of course this friendly model must be an evil one. Sorry for this remark, but I stumbled over it when thinking about answers.

O.k., my answers, as far as I know:
1. Yes, it is allowed for a good model to target an evil model giing spear support to a fight. The supporting model is noch part of the melee, so there ist noch risk to hit another good model.

2. If the shooting good model has a clear line of sight, or a line of sight with some obstacles in the way, which are not good models or other fights, to the evil spear supporting model, it is allowed to shoot. It is not necessary to test for hitting the evil fighting model, because the supporting model is not in the melee. But if the fight itself woulf be in the way, the good model cannot shoot, because then his fighting comrade can be hit. If a fight is in the way, one cannot pick out a special models for the in the way test, but one has to roll a die whether it is the nearest evil modle (on 1-3) or the tegeted goog model (4-6). Good models cannot shoot into fights.
3. If the supported model in the fight ist killed in the shooting phase, maybe by an arrow from the evil side which went astray, and if this model was the only evil model in base contact with the good model(s), then there will be no fighting. The spear sopporting model has no base contact with the good model in the fight. But of course, if there were two evil models in the fight and one of them is killed by an arrow, then the fight will go on with the remaining evil model.

I hope this helps.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:24 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

For clarification, let me know if the following is correct.
1.Good model #A is in base contact for a fight with evil model #B
2.Evil model #C is in base contact and supporting evil model #B with a spear (not in base contact with good model #A).
3.Good model #D wants to shoot the supporting spear evil model #C from a distance.
4.Evil model #B partially blocks the line of site to evil model #C (spear supporting only).
5.Good model #A does not block the line of site to evil model #C, but is still involved in a direct fight with evil model #B who does.

You are saying that good model #D "could not" take the shot, since an In The Way roll would be needed for the fight (either for good model #A or for evil model #B-doesn't matter which one is in the way).

You are saying that if neither model #A nor model #B where in the way, then model D "could" take the shot at evil model #C (spear support only) as no In the Way roll would be needed for the fight he is supporting.

Is that correct? Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Yes, if either #A or #B are in the way a good model cannot shoot at #C.

If neither #A or #B are in the way a good model can shoot at #C.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Awesome. Thanks for the replies.

For further clarification. What if everything was reversed. How would In the Way work then?

1.Evil model #A is in base contact for a fight with good model #B
2.Good model #C is in base contact and supporting good model #B with a spear (not in base contact with evil model #A).
3.Evil model #D wants to shoot the supporting spear good model #C from a distance.
4.Good model #B partially blocks the line of site to good model #C (spear supporting only).
5.Evil model #A does not block the line of site to good model #C, but is still involved in a direct fight with good model #B who does.

I know that evil model D can shoot... because he's evil.

I know that there would be an In the Way roll between good model #C (the primary target - spear) and good model B (not the primary target involved in a fight with evil model #A).

But, what I don't know is what happens if it is determined after the In the Way roll that good model #B (not the primary target involved in a fight with evil model #A) has to take the hit. Does good model #B just take the hit, or does there have to be a 2nd special in the way roll since he is directly involved in a fight to see if good model #B or evil model #A has to take the hit?

Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Explained on another forum, so I'm reposting here for future reference.

So the rolling order for this would be. Start by rolling to see if you hit (you knew that already), then you roll an in the way for the combat, you don’t roll an in the way specifically for good model B, but the combat itself. If you fail that in the way roll, you will then roll to see who you hit. On a 1-3 you hit your own nearest model (in the combat), on a 4-6 you hit your opponents nearest model (in the combat). Obviously when there’s only 1 model fighting on either side they are both automatically the closest model. Hope this helps!