All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Post subject: Best strategies for Rohan?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey all,

So I'm thinking of collecting a small Rohan army (around 400pts), but after much searching on the web for ideas I've had trouble finding much help regarding tactics.

I was therefore wondering: what strategies work best for Rohan? What playstyles/general builds have worked for you? (Either at competitions or just more casual games). What units are best? Worst etc?

From what I've gathered so far:

Erkenbrand and Grimbold are good choices for their warrior upgrades, with Erkenbrand possibly being a tad better due to his ability to make your ordinary riders F4. Eowyn is also a great choice due to being cheap, and having a decent store of might.

Rohan works better as more of a skirmisher army, with a few harder hitting units to do more of the killing, (like Sons of Eorl) while the majority of our troops, (even warriors) are better more as hit and run harassers. I also saw someone chatting about the idea of a Rohan shield wall here: namely, infantry with shields backed up by a banner and a hero, whose sole job is to get in to combat and then shield from the enemy, and thus hold them down long enough for cavalry units to position themselves for a rear charge. Anyone ever tried that?

Lastly, missile weapons... How do you guys rate them? And which units utilise them best? My own thoughts recently have been to perhaps run a group of foot warriors with throwing spears, alongside some riders, who pick off enemy units and retreat to whittle them down before my main shield wall can engage them. (They'd always move and fire the full distance they could). Outriders are another potential option: they hit better but the strength of their weapon is lower.

So yeah, what works best for you? And what do you all think of the above?

Cheers! :)
 Post subject: Re: Best strategies for Rohan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grimbold people would debate with me, but I say dont take him.

You can piercing strike and also he cant keep up with your army if you have all mounted.

Erkenbrand is incredible for his points.

I've seen good mixes throwing in Sons of Eorl, and I think a competitive army needs that. Hard to say, as I dont use them, or the army competitively.....
What I'd definitely do though is try as much as possible to NOT engage and use your ranged attacks. I say go all mounted too.....though you can always try your shieldwall.

Rohan players who dont know how to play them generally charge in way too fast.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm actually in a similar boat trying to do 400pts Rohan, and what I've hit on is Erkenbrand and Eomer leading mostly Westfold Redshields with some Sons of Eorl. You get good damage, some ranged options and pretty solid defense for a Rohan force.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:28 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That sounds good for lower points^ like 400.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the responses guys. :)

So the consensus so far seems to be either all cavalry/cavalry heavy - does that mean that Rohan infantry isn't really worth taking in your view then?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are in ways. If you only have a handful of points left and you want some numbers, if you go ALL infantry and spam them, or if you add them to another army. But none recommended besides spam list

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmmm, interesting.

So you would say rohan is better as either all infantry or all cavalry then? (only reason I ask is I've been experimenting with a few lists, and wanted to do a mixed one) , but obviously if it's better one way or the other that's something to think about.

Incidentally, in an all infantry rohan army, do you think erkenbrand would still be worth it? I mean his 3m and the horn granting +2 courage is still a real bonus. Especially considering he's just 20 more than a regular captain. The downside is of course he can no longer bring redshields to the table.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

He is still a tough hero like you said with 3 might and that courage is absolutely worth it.