Grey Company 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
Dragon and Goblins 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject: GREY COMPANY ARMY TACTICS
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey yall

i need some ideas of tactics for my grey company army. It will be competing in scenarios. I was also wondering how to take out a dragon with this force

GREY COMPANY:

Elrohir

Elledan

5x Rangers of the North

24x Rangers of Middle Earth

Cheers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

First of all, you need 6 RoTN, not 5.

Second, for pitched battle, all you have to do is set up at max deployment, shoot, move back 3", shoot, move back 3", etc. And get all the soft targets so you can concentrate on the larger ones, and hopefully break the force. By the time the enemy gets to your lines, you should have widdled it down considerably.

For most other games, however, (scenarios are where the GC are weak.) you will have to rely on your supirior distribution of might points, provided by the RoTN, and use them often to even the odds.

To take down the dragon:

Only shoot at it if you have nothing else to shoot.
Taking down the dragon is much easier once it starts taking its courage tests for being broken. Concentrate on the smaller stuff, and just break the army.

If the dragon has wings, split you force in half and start moving to the left and right. This will force the dragon to change direction, (thus more movement) and allow (possibly) the rest of your army to concentrate on the softer targets.

If this is 500 points (your army is 500 points) getting the enemy down to breaking point should be easy, especially when the dragon accounts for almost 60% of his army. Once you force the dragon to start taking courage, It will eventually need to use will, and once its out, wound it once and hope it flees for its life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

haha, so that proves it, when your high in happy place, you can still be smart!

basically all that Bright said, except for the shoot dragon bit... with 30 S 2 shots that hit on a 3, i'd say your chances are pretty high of taking the dragon down within the first few turns, although i don't know how many wounds they have or what their defense value is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The dragon can be defence 6, or defence 9 depending if the person gave it tough hide, and I've never had someone -not- take it. I think it has 6 wounds, but I'm not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

cheers guys

The dragon has 9 wounds and 9 defence if rough hide is chosen. Also what could i do against it if it has uruks also?

Choice

Lord Cicapha
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Uruks? Oh, thats easy. Pick the high ground (if there is some, if not, when in doubt, volleyfire) and shoot away all the pikes, then you could probably take them down 1v3 in combat with the elf twins.

And remember, its easier to shoot an uruk than it is to beat one in combat and wound it. Use as many of the RoTN might points as possible (not to hit, of course.) to kill uruks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

A Dragon's base Def is 7. With 350 points, you can get 24cm (can't remember conversion) movement, ignore terrain, have 9 wounds and 9 Defence. This is the most common dragon: Tough Hide and Fly. Arrows arn't going to work magic when it can move 4 times as fast as a shooting man and 24x2=48; almost the range of the bow. Volleying over a distance is therefore nearly useless, considering that a 3+ hit becomes 6 and you can only get 7 arrows (9 for a Tough Hide) on him at maximum, and with defence 7 (or 9), its not going to work well. I agree with BrightLance: shoot the goblins. Once the force is broken THEN shoot the dragon, because swarm attacks don't work. 9 attacks, 3 might and automatically winning ties makes a dragon near invinible in combat. If you had Gandalf, you could Immobolise it (never fails), but you don't, so use Elladan and Elrohir with a load of North rangers and any other rangers you can fit after the goblins are dead or tie up the goblins and do the above. That way, the enemies attacks are limited (haha) to 9, so if you throw some raids in to get rid of the Dragon's Might, you have a chance. The twins+all the Rangers you can fit=about 10-15 attacks, so give it a go. If not, join my dwarves and my friend's WE Sentinals and rangers under the dragon's foot. Stupid dragon-hiding-in-the-woods-to-avoid-my-ballista. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ah... right, i wasn't expecting that high defense! definitely shoot the goblins (uruks are higher on the to-kill list if they are fielded though) to break the rest of the army...

thinking about all of this 30-shots-per-turn stuff has led my mind down another path.... what would have happened in Helm's Deep if Elrond had decided to give halbarad that prophecy a bit earlier and the grey company had turned up.... gandalf wouldn't have even needed to go get erkenbrand! :lol: