All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 pm

Post subject: House rules-Worm
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:03 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi everbody,

what do you think about this profile for the worms from the BOFA movie?
How many points should it cost (I dont have opponents for a test)
Which base size should it have.
I hope that you undestand me (its English is not my first language), if not, just ask me.

Move:4; F:6; S:7; D:8; A:4; W:6; C:4; M:0; W:0; F:0

Special Rules:
Resistant to Magic, Terror, Cave-dweller

Survival instinct: Each time a Worm is wounded, it must take a courage test. If the test is failed, it flees – the model is removed and counts as a casualty.
Digging: In each move - phase, the worm can decide to digg instead of moving normally. If he decides to do this, then do this: Choose a start- and an endpoint; the start has to be in 2” of the worm, the end point has to be in 7” of the startpoint (use two coins or something like that to mark them). Place the worm in basecontact with the coin. In some cases you will have to move some miniatures away for placing the worm; move them as less as possible, basecontact with the worm is allowed. Every miniature which is in basecontact with the worm counts as being charged. You can move under units or sceneries, but not under water or canyons.
Eating: Every miniature (good or evil) in 2” of the coin one strength 9 hit, fate may be used. If a miniature loses one wound, it dies automatically if its strength is lower than the strength of the worm.
No arms: Because the worm does not have arms or something like that, it is not allowed to hurl or rend but it can use barge. If the worm uses barge, it can also use Digging and Eating.
Tunnels: Miniatures from the same army as the worm with the same basesize or smaller than the worm, is allowed to use its tunnels in the movementphase instead of moving normally. Because the soldiers do not have to concentrate on the enemy, they can move faster in the underground. They start from the startpoint and end within 2” of the endpoint. If their move is bigger than this distance, they may move the rest of their movement after they left the tunnel. A tunnel does only exist for one movementphase, after that, it collapses and cannot be used anymore.
Darkness: Roll a D6 for every miniature which uses the tunnel and does not have the special rule Cave-dweller. On a 2-6, nothing happens, but if you roll a 1, the miniature gets lost in the darkness or is killed by a falling stone – the model is removed and counts as a casualty.

Post subject: Re: House rules-Worm
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

truly Muad'Dib"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

How to build a worm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzLSXMgzWpk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would have thought them as a non combat creature. No stat, just points and a rule to allow ambush attacks.
Like worm is placed on board deployed with warband. Worm can move 12" through (under) any terrain and bring the warband to that location anywhere within 6" of center point of where worm arrives.
Fall rolls for any model within that zone where worm arrives, treat as fall of 3".

But this is just random thoughts on it. I would never have considered the worm to be anything anyone can fight in the game as it is massive and non-intelligent. I would also give it really high defense yet only a 1 fight value as there is no way it can actually fight. Also it would not have any attacks, just sort of flop down and crush everyone under it, maybe an earthquake shock that acts like natures wrath.

Don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Having thought about this a fair bit, I came to the conclusion that Wyrms were something best represented as a Warband-wide Upgrade. Don't know what points I'd put on it (hence why it was left out of my BotFA supplement so far), but something like this:

Wyrm-tunnels: A Warband deploying via Wyrm-tunnel may deploy within 6" of any terrain feature on the board, so long as this brings them no closer than 6" to an enemy model. Warbands containing Cavalry, Monsters or models with the Fly special rule may not purchase a Wyrm-tunnel.

Maybe 20 points per Warband?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Worm/ Wyrm is another name for a dragon.Dune style worms don't belong in Middle Earth. However, they made it into the movie :o They are easily to make. I can not see any reason there should not be rules if you want. I would favor allowing the earth to open under the models. I would think Dune style worms should act like Dune style worms. Why not ride them too?

The spice must flow!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

First off Badner, your English is fine. This is definitely a multi country, multi cultural community. Dont worry about that.

As for the profile....before I comment on anyones, Ill get my idea out of the way to not take others thoughts and re make them.

I say:

Movement: 6 inches
Fight: 4
Defense: 6(tough skin)
Attacks: 2
Wounds: 3
Courage: 2
Resistant to Magic

Special Rules-
Razor Teeth: A worm at the start of its move phase may choose to burrow underground. If you want it to come to the surface, it may come up where it chooses within 6 inches once you roll a die. On a 4, 5, or 6, it makes it to the surface. On a 1, 2, or 3, it hits hard material and has to try again or move. The next turn, if it moves within 3 inches of the previous spot, the worm can subtract 1 from its roll to surface. If the worm chooses not to surface one turn, it does not have to reveal to its opponent where it moves, and may move up to 12" the next turn.
Shocking upheaval: If the worm succeeds at surfacing, move all models the shortest possible distance 1" from its base. Each model counts as being knocked to the ground, and takes a strength 3 hit.
Furious Lash: In the fight phase, if the worm wins a fight, it may instead choose to do 1 strike to each model in base contact with it.

100 points.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:03 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oldman Willow wrote:
Worm/ Wyrm is another name for a dragon.Dune style worms don't belong in Middle Earth. However, they made it into the movie :o

Tolkien begs to differ, they are briefly mentioned in the Hobbit book;

"Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

"they are briefly mentioned in the Hobbit book" :lol:

J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth legendarium features dragons closely based on those of European legend.

Besides dragon (derived from French), Tolkien variously used the terms drake (the original English term, from Old English draca, in turn from Latin draco and Greek δράκων) and worm (from Old English wyrm, "serpent", "dragon").[1]

Tolkien, J. R. R. (1984), Christopher Tolkien, ed., The Book of Lost Tales 2, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, ISBN 0-395-36614-3

You might want to read this http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/d/dragons.html

or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_(Middle-earth)#Scatha

Tolkien calls the dragon Scatha a "long-worm" but does not explicitly explain the term.

Sorry, no spice worms are mentioned in the Hobbit

The Spice must flow! :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Using the house rules.
Why would the worms not tunnel directly into the Lonely Mountain and avoid the fuss?
New can of worms? :P

I like house rules. I am not sure what would be best in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
Sorry, no spice worms are mentioned in the Hobbit

Well, of course not, I wasn't quoting Dune.

Considering how little that is known about the background concerning a creature merely name-dropped out of nowhere, and the many meanings of the word "worm", it's not impossible that "worm"may mean several things depending on context.

As you have mentioned, we know that Scatha aka long-worm = dragon, so maybe were-worm = serpent, something like the Midgard Serpent or a huge snakelike creature. I find the potrayal of the were-worms in the last Hobbit-movie interesting, since the movie-worms were based on a line in the book, even if it was extremely vague.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
First off Badner, your English is fine. This is definitely a multi country, multi cultural community. Dont worry about that.

As for the profile....before I comment on anyones, Ill get my idea out of the way to not take others thoughts and re make them.

I say:

Movement: 6 inches
Fight: 4
Defense: 6(tough skin)
Attacks: 2
Wounds: 3
Courage: 2
Resistant to Magic

Special Rules-
Razor Teeth: A worm at the start of its move phase may choose to burrow underground. If you want it to come to the surface, it may come up where it chooses within 6 inches once you roll a die. On a 4, 5, or 6, it makes it to the surface. On a 1, 2, or 3, it hits hard material and has to try again or move. The next turn, if it moves within 3 inches of the previous spot, the worm can subtract 1 from its roll to surface. If the worm chooses not to surface one turn, it does not have to reveal to its opponent where it moves, and may move up to 12" the next turn.
Shocking upheaval: If the worm succeeds at surfacing, move all models the shortest possible distance 1" from its base. Each model counts as being knocked to the ground, and takes a strength 3 hit.
Furious Lash: In the fight phase, if the worm wins a fight, it may instead choose to do 1 strike to each model in base contact with it.

100 points.

I like this rules because I think that they make it less complicated, compared to my rules. The question is, which base size should it have? Because a bigger base means more attacks. The only thing that I don't like at your rules is nobody else is allowed to use the tunnels. I think that this should be possible because that's the reason why Azog allied them to his force.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oops. I actually forgot to include that. After they tunnel up, you have to move it again id say, but then the turn after you can travel through it.

And I say the base of a Mordor Troll.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Worm vs serpent argument mirrors the wyvern vs dragon argument. The meaning was extremely vague only if you remove it from the context.Tolkien understood language and the origin of words.
I don't agree with PJ. The cat is out of the bag or worms are out of the can. So how do we use the sandworm style worm?

I like the troll sized base. I think anyone should be able to use the tunnels after the worms have moved away.

Highway to Hell scenario.

A sand worm has tunneled into the Lonely Mountain, Moria or the Shire

Were-worm? Should it not fight like a dragon?Can it breath fire or acid? I can see all kinds of unintended consequences with this interpretation. What you allow is up to you.
long worms
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/l/longworms.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I had always taken the term were-worm to mean a human dragon hybrid like werewolfs or werebears. So going to the east of easts to fight the wild dragon-men of the last desert is how I always interpreted it.

Why not give the worm thing a rule so it can't benefit from banners or heroic actions since it has no eye and all.

Last edited by Wan Shi Tong on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dragon-men,Wags and were-bears Oh My!

I like "worm thing" better than sandworm 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm considering getting a Were-Worm and continuing this discussion further in the distant future. Check out this Forgeworld Dread Maw in this Warseer post:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost7377672

No need to wait on GW for a BotFA version.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am thinking the models base should be bigger considering that catapult trolls easily fit in their tunnels