All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 pm

Post subject: Unit/Hero builder?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ive been reading really good reviews about LOTR/The Hobbit SBG since forever, I also got the small rulebook from the hobbit starter set and I must say im quite impressed with the game. The thing is that I never got into it for two reasons:
1) I dont like the Middle Earth setting that much (please... dont kill me!! :-D )
2) Playing Warhammer Fantasy and a couple historical games I dont have the time or money to build a new army for a new game.
A friend told me (the same guy who gave me the small rulebook) that some years ago he saw a pretty well made profile builder for LOTR SBG, that would be perfect, I could use my beloved WHF minis using custom profiles and play the game. The thing is that after some days of internet browsing and googling, I couldnt find it.

Does this profile builder exist? Can someone please point me to its location?

Thanks in advance guys.
 Post subject: Re: Unit/Hero builder?
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Not that I know of, but you could use a base statline and work up from it, or just use existing statlines to represent the WHFB minis.

What army(s) do you play for WHFB?

For converting WHFB minis to the LoTR system, you can just convert the stat values:
Movement of LoTR models is generally 6 for infantry/monsters and 10 for cav.
7-armor save+toughness=defense(Separate the mount save from the rider for cav models; IE: mounts receive +1 toughness as defense, and barding is an additional +1)
leadership-4=courage,
7-Bs=Shoot value, (max 2+)
WS=Fv. Might will and fate are up to discretion.
Subtract 1 from the attack value of characters when converting to heroes.

After converting the stats, look for a model with a similar stat line for the LoTR models for the points. For cold blooded type rules that affect leadership, just swap the dropped dice from highest to lowest.

Use a comparable weapon from the Hobbit Rulebook for ranged weapons, or -1 strength, -6" range, or both (Handgun 2pts for warriors: 18" range, S5, move penalty:all/full; repeater crossbow 4pts for warriors: 18" range, Str 3, May fire twice per round, move penalty: half, etc).

Some common special rules: Poison (Re-roll 1s to wound instead of 6s to hit auto wound), ASF (give the model +1 Fv), Fear/Terror (Model has Terror), Skirmishers (Woodland Creature or Mountain Dweller), Stupidity (Model must pass a courage test each turn or act as if under the effects of the compel magical power; may use the courage of the warband leader or force leader if within 6"), ASL (-1 to win the fight), Armour piercing (+1 strength or no effect, depending on what it is), Killing Blow (Any wounds caused are doubled against non-monster models), Undead (Fearless, Terror), Demon (Fearless, Terror, 5+ fate save), Stubborn (Automatically passes courage tests for the force being broken), Immune to Psychology (Fearless), etc...

For non-hero models: The base human statline: 3/4+ 3 3 1 1 3 is 5 points.
Each point of Fight/strength/defense is 1 point. Courage after 3 is valued at ~1/2 point rounded down.

Strength above 4 is 2 points.

A shoot value change is disregarded unless it's an upgrade, in which it costs 2 points per model.

A special rule is generally 1/2-5 points, depending on the effect (Elven cloak effect is 5), though sometimes the cost is disregarded due to being conditional.

An additional attack is 2-3 points.

For heroes, it's a base 40 points for a 4/4+ 4 4 2 2 4 2/1/1 stat line
Each stat except attacks is 5 points.
An attack increase to 3 is valued at ~15 points.
Fight to 7 is valued at ~15 points.
Armor for the mount is + 50% to the cost of the mount.
Magic is valued at ~20-40 points, depending on spells (25 for Shaman w/ fury/transfix).
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Urgok wrote:
A friend told me (the same guy who gave me the small rulebook) that some years ago he saw a pretty well made profile builder for LOTR SBG,

I know the web based profile builder you are talking about, but AFAIK its long gone. :(

Asamu wrote:
but you could use a base statline and work up from it, or just use existing statlines to represent the WHFB minis.

I think its easier to just pick a unit or character from the game that most closely coresponds to your WHFB miniatures, and use that. Less chance for arguments over whether your math is right!

For example, WHFB High Elf Archers just use the profile and cost of SBG High Elves with Bows. WHFB Black Orcs could use SBG Uruk-hai or Uruk-hai Berserkers

“The Ring has awoken, it’s heard its masters call.”
– Gandalf
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you guys for the answers, I was looking for something that would do the math for me, not because of the math itself, but because im not familiar with the system, and converting stuff without any experience in the game doesnt sound promising.
Specially taking into account that I mainly play Demons of chaos, and my two friends that are intrested in the game use Orcs & Goblins and Lizardmen. Out of the three armies, only the Orcs & Goblins look like something easy to convert.

mbauden: Im happy that this unit creator at least did exist, maybe someone made a site backup or something, theres still hope!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I want to try my hand at this, I'm no excel expert but would like to create a custom profile builder. I know Lonelyknight is great at this sort of thing, wonder if he would do one. But you would have to cover equipment, official & custom special rules, etc. And of course profiles I've read aren't perfectly mathematically balanced in SBG, something called stat creep in the later age of the game's lifespan.