All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:35 am

Post subject: The Best Time to Use Might
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

When really is the best time to use might? Should it be used to win fights or just to make sure a hero wounds? Also, which targets should it be used against, normal infantry, heavy infantry, or heros?
I know there's always situations where you want to use might against any model, but seeing as how it's a nonrenewable resource, I always end up never using it, for fear of needing it later. How do you all use might?

In the mirror of doom."
 Post subject: Re: The Best Time to Use Might
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:09 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think this question can be answered completely. It really depends on many, many things.
Really, it depends on the flow of the game. In most cases, the situation you're in will basically tell you what to do. If you, when you're looking at the board, find yourself thinking "well, now I really need initiative" that means you need an heroic move.

Sometimes might just has to be spent: When your hero is fighting a monster that would rend him, you really want to use that might to avoid troubles and getting a chance to wound at the same time. Or if your hero is trapped. Dead men have no might.

you don't spend might to kill a goblin, or even a uruk. But if the uruk is a banner bearer, you may want to consider doing it. If might will help you scoring the last wound on a Warg Marauder, that's a good use of it.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ahhh, the age-old question :-D
I generally keep my might for heroic actions, particularly moves and strikes. I'm very careful about calling heroic combats, especially as my regular opponent almost always has fury; it's never nice to have a hero blow a might point on failing to kill a moria goblin. However, I use strikes alot, although mainly do so to counter my opponent's bigger heroes, I often don't counter if it's just a captain. I've only ever used a heroic shoot once and never used a heroic accuracy, so you'll have to talk to someone else for help there.
If my hero has a lowish defence and fate I like to keep a might point in order to win a fight, but unless it's aragorn's/bolg's/narzug's etc. free one I don't like to use might on winning fights, only when it's a fight for survival: when it's a trapped hero on one wound. no fate it's time to ready my pencil and paper to jot down some expended might. On the contrary, my might points are often used on knocking off wounds from dangerous heroes, though this may be because I almost always play Gulvahar, who gets much less dangerous as he loses wounds. That being said, wounding big heroes does tend to make your opponent use them a little more carefully, which can be used to your advantage.
A general tip I have for using might to wound is always look at the scenario rules and see if you'll get a point back for killing a hero; if so, you may as well put a point towards wounding a model if it's really bothering you as if you have support it may die. This has worked wonders for me before and it's an easy thing to forget.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you have a hero surrounded by trolls, and both sides roll a five, you better believe you are going to use that might.
If you are fighting a banner or a shaman or another high value support piece , a point of might could definitely be worth it.
If you are a cav army, you will most likely need some might to make sure you get the charge, so saving it rather than using it to kill someone or win a fight will be worth it.
It all just depends on how the entire battle is going. Purely a case by case thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use might if a point of might will change the outcome of the game. Yes, that means i will spend a point of might to kill a moria goblin (but only if breaking my opponent's army is requisite for the win).
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It's very situational, but for the most part I tend to be more trigger-happy with my might points. A lot of what I do depends on how reckless my opponent is, but typically everyone in my games runs out of might very quickly. Often I use models that require me to have a movement advantage, whether it's cavalry, spellcasters, disruptors of some sort, or hero killers, I need to be moving those first. So, once an opponent understands what I'm doing, it becomes a race to see who can go first: either I spend a might point and my opponent has to counter (or lose their hero entirely, because I'm me and I kill heroes), or I have priority and my opponent realizes the peril.

I'm actually very rarely successful with mass-clearing heroic combats; the ones you use for your Spider Queen or your Aragorn to chew through 4 models a turn, it never works for me. My HCs are there to set me up in strategic positions. Compel a warrior forward, put 3 heroes on him, then heroic combat and slingshot your heroes into your opponent's flank to get a good charge next turn.

Often, as others have mentioned, you need to burn might to keep your heroes alive. I also like burning might to kill heroes. Some channeled spells are totally worth it (fury for one)

Really, it depends on what you're trying to do in a game, what your circumstances are and how you plan to win. Ultimately this is a game about setting up favourable situations for you against your opponent, might is just another tool to help you with that.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

mr. dude wrote:
It's very situational, but for the most part I tend to be more trigger-happy with my might points. A lot of what I do depends on how reckless my opponent is, but typically everyone in my games runs out of might very quickly. Often I use models that require me to have a movement advantage, whether it's cavalry, spellcasters, disruptors of some sort, or hero killers, I need to be moving those first. So, once an opponent understands what I'm doing, it becomes a race to see who can go first: either I spend a might point and my opponent has to counter (or lose their hero entirely, because I'm me and I kill heroes), or I have priority and my opponent realizes the peril.

I'm actually very rarely successful with mass-clearing heroic combats; the ones you use for your Spider Queen or your Aragorn to chew through 4 models a turn, it never works for me. My HCs are there to set me up in strategic positions. Compel a warrior forward, put 3 heroes on him, then heroic combat and slingshot your heroes into your opponent's flank to get a good charge next turn.

Often, as others have mentioned, you need to burn might to keep your heroes alive. I also like burning might to kill heroes. Some channeled spells are totally worth it (fury for one)

Really, it depends on what you're trying to do in a game, what your circumstances are and how you plan to win. Ultimately this is a game about setting up favourable situations for you against your opponent, might is just another tool to help you with that.

That seems to be a pretty solid way of using might. Getting into situations where you should use might (such as against heros) sounds like a good way of killing captains, then leaving the warbands to scatter once their force breaks.

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:53 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I would only use might if it is in an imperative situation. Need to win a fight where your hero has no fate left? Need to do the final wound to a big bad monster?

I almost never use it on priority or heroic moves. Heroic combats however are pure gold.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

generalripphook wrote:
I would only use might if it is in an imperative situation. Need to win a fight where your hero has no fate left? Need to do the final wound to a big bad monster?

I almost never use it on priority or heroic moves. Heroic combats however are pure gold.

When playing cavalry, I think one should be prepared to spend 1 or 2 might in heroic moves. Losing priority for two turns in a row may be enough to wipe down a cavalry warband.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Tower Shopping Center, 6810 Bland Street, Springfield, VA 22150
We gave our opinion on this subject in a video since it is quite an in depth topic. Feel free to check out our response here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HW_IINpKjY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I usually use most of my might for Heroic Strikes or Heroic Moves. Those two are the most vital in my opinion. Reason by is sometimes you need to pick fights/charges/escape and other times you NEED to win fights.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

dchobbitleague wrote:
We gave our opinion on this subject in a video since it is quite an in depth topic. Feel free to check out our response here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HW_IINpKjY

Damn thanks guys, I saw that video in my sub box earlier today. Gonna have to check it out now. Thanks everyone for the help. I think my problem has been to be too stingy with might and ultimately getting my heros killed because I'm too afraid to waste it. Don't think I'll have that problem anymore. :D

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
I usually use most of my might for Heroic Strikes or Heroic Moves. Those two are the most vital in my opinion. Reason by is sometimes you need to pick fights/charges/escape and other times you NEED to win fights.

Would you say it's a good idea to bring heroes whose only purpose is to call heroic marches?

In the mirror of doom."
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:03 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MRmehman wrote:
dchobbitleague wrote:

Damn thanks guys, I saw that video in my sub box earlier today. Gonna have to check it out now. Thanks everyone for the help. I think my problem has been to be too stingy with might and ultimately getting my heros killed because I'm too afraid to waste it. Don't think I'll have that problem anymore. :D

Personally, there is no reason a hero should die with might/fate and even will for some models, left on their profile. Even if they take an unlucky hit at the beginning of a match, one should burn those resources on the fate roll to keep them alive. A living hero with 0 m/w/f is better than a dead hero with 2 m/w/f. GW indicates on the ringwraith profile that each of these resources are worth 5 points each. So, if you take a generic captain who has 20 points of m/w/f and let them die for fear of using their m/w/f one has literally thrown away 20 of their army's points. I found that being aggressive in use of m/w/f (aggressive, mind you, not careless) has always benefitted my game as opposed to cautious, timid use of the resource.

Last edited by jdizzy001 on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:08 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

MRmehman wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

Would you say it's a good idea to bring heroes whose only purpose is to call heroic marches?
this is an interesting question. My initial response was, "no." However, I would have to change my answer to, "maybe. It depends on the scenario and situation." There are times that i advocate for specialized might users. IE: I believe Gandalf's might should only be used to ensure his spells succeed and not for other heroic actions such as combat or movements. My theory is that a budget hero or a beat stick such as boromir should be tasked with that. So there may be a hero out there who can function as a dedicated marcher, but that would need to be considered on a case by case basis.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, though I'm nowhere near mastering his uses yet, Tom Bombadil is a central figure in some of my armies. In his case, one of his most important uses is as a healer, and with a limited 3" casting range for his healing spell he would benefit from a dedicated marcher beside him.

So yeah, it depends on what you need.

As a side anecdote, today, I played a game where my army was incredibly limited on might. At 500 points, I had a Wild Warg Chieftain, the Tainted, and an Orc Shaman (also a Barrow Wight, but those don't have might so never mind). So, 3 might points, 2 of which can't be used for massed heroic moves. The Shaman, I used his might to channel fury (then failed to cast it on 2 dice... meaning he effectively became an expensive spearman for the rest of the game... second time that's happened to me), so the only might I had left in the army was on two heroes with severe limits on how they could use it. What this amounted to was a complete inability for me to get any kind of advantage, the best I could do was hope that my opponents (it was a doubles game) wouldn't be able to reach my priority models, but I had no control over the game. It's a far cry from the minimum 5 might points I can't leave home without, and while there were many factors that led to my side losing the game, lack of might was a huge one.

But hey, my spellcasters destroyed Glorfindel and Erestor, so whatever.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very interesting. I've been thinking about using taskmasters like this for a while now. I've also thought that bringing "heroic march heros" could be very useful for goblin armies; peppering in a goblin captain or two just to get you closer to objectives or the front lines could prove to be very useful. It would also be good for hobbits, assuming we're working off the generic hobbit captain model that the forum has made.

In the mirror of doom."