All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:02 pm

Post subject: Barrow Wights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:29 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have always owned a fair number of Barrow Wights (thank you Fog on Barrow Downs box set), but the one time I used them was against an army that featured Legolas and they got absolutely cremated. So I spent several years just keeping them on my shelves, until earlier today when I took one with me to a game. I was initially worried that just one wouldn't be enough, they are so easy to get rid of and the range on Paralyze is so low. Yet, though the game ended in a big loss for me, the Barrow Wight (combined with a few tender romantic exchanges with a Ringwraith) led to the demise of Glorfindel and Erestor.

This caused me to think, maybe I've been overlooking this incredibly powerful hero all these years. Paralyze is, for my money, quite easily the best offensive spell in the game. It may as well read "Take the target model off the damn table".

Maybe the difference between my two experiences with them was that one was pre warbands rules, meaning deployment was 12" off your own board edge and you have to slog across the board as your opponent shoots you to pieces. The second time around, he was where he needed to be by turn 2.

So, does their incredible offensive power outweigh their ridiculous fragility? What armies have they been successful in for you?
 Post subject: Re: Barrow Wights
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In my opinion, you use the barrow-wight for the same reason as a 55 point nazgul: The c6 standfast and the spells. The most successful ones I have encountered where in a swarm army/terror army.

The spam armies because of their low courage. Terror armies might not be that competitive, but they are very fun to play with.

About the fragility, it is indeed a problem, but one you can overlook.
In my opinion you should take them if you thoroughly enjoy playing with them. And if you do, practice alot. If they die before lines hit battle, you just got yourself a very expensive meatshield.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:20 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I also really enjoy using them. I think they can be very effective at taking certain models out of the Game or at least delay you having to deal with them for a while. I think they especially work well when combined with a Nazgul like The Dwimmerlaik or another good caster of sap will. I enjoy the control aspect a no might Angmar force gives.

Legolas is going to kill them of course because of his auto hit and because they are a huge threat if left unchecked.

All of this and not to mention I think the models are fantastic. I love the look of a Barrow Wight and some Specters roaming around a board causing havoc to low courage models.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I just rediscovered this thread, it seems I never got around to responding to the two vey good posts above.

What served as my reminder was a game I played yesterday, one of my opponents (doubles game) was using Durin and spent the whole game very visibly worried about my Barrow Wight. I was nervous of one BW not being enough, what if Durin manages to resist my Paralyze? What if a lucky shot gets through all my lines and kills my BW? So I spent a lot of time hiding him, laying him down behind everyone so archers couldn't see him.
Circumstances worked out that I could afford to wait for the Dwarves to come to me, and it looked like my opponent was targeting the Orcs that were hiding the Barrow Wight. Durin powered through a few orcs. Next turn, Sap Will + Paralyze (my partner had a Ringwraith), put a captain in there, I started wiping wounds off of him.

I suppose that's nothing new, we know that Paralyze simply kills heroes, but it always surprises me when just one Barrow Wight does so much damage. Psychologically they're a terror, that's the latest update. Knowing that across the table is a model capable of doing this to your most important models must throw a monkey wrench into all of your plans. And if you can't shoot the Barrow Wight, your best bet is probably to avoid it, which means the Barrow Wight player can set up a bubble that big combat heroes are afraid to enter. Do it right and that means big combat heroes are afraid of getting in combat, ie point sink. Next best thing is to try and get to the Barrow Wight before it gets to you, which is what my opponent went for.
Doesn't always work if I may say so.

As OverlordShepard pointed out, they also give you a cheap source of high courage once they've done the casting job. Really, every time I use one of these guys, my respect for them grows and grows.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

There just a few things that barrow wight need to be carefull... legolas and Galadriel are the 2 majorss... 1 its autohit shoot the other its the spirit´s bane. My oponent found that out 2 weeks ago as he kept running his wight from her.

About what you experienced, if the dwarf player had a bit more eye for it, he prob would noticed he would just had to fall back and keep shotting rather than pushing through the orc lines to get that wight. Durin its also usefull passively as unchecked hes a very major threat to nearby foes.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely, Legolas and Galadriel are the big threats, otherwise the mere presence of a Barrow Wight is terrifying for your opponent.

For how cheap they are, I'm always impressed with how much they can do, in game and psychologically.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:56 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mr. dude wrote:
1-This caused me to think, maybe I've been overlooking this incredibly powerful hero all these years. Paralyze is, for my money, quite easily the best offensive spell in the game. It may as well read "Take the target model off the damn table".

2-So, does their incredible offensive power outweigh their ridiculous fragility? What armies have they been successful in for you?

1-Not really.....for each model touching, they roll a D6. You can roll 3-4 dice a turn if you havent gotten them trapped in front between both lines. That can also both be modifiable with might I used a Wight 1 game, and the target model was revived and then the wight killed
2-At least they have D 7. Like I said I tried it once, and played against them once. I felt no power behind them on either side. Just a bit of nervousness. Theyre less than 55 points though and thats cool.....Would I use them again? YES. But probably two with a beastly hero nearby or once lines clash quickly.

MWL_Rambo wrote:
I think they can be very effective at taking certain models out of the Game or at least delay you having to deal with them for a while. I think they especially work well when combined with a Nazgul like The Dwimmerlaik or another good caster of sap will.

Exactly. Its a tactical delay, a fear, or a last minute usage that makes them worth their weight in Middle Earth Salt.

mr. dude wrote:
Absolutely, Legolas and Galadriel are the big threats, otherwise the mere presence of a Barrow Wight is terrifying for your opponent.

For how cheap they are, I'm always impressed with how much they can do, in game and psychologically.

This isnt necessarily directed at you as several have said it but 1-How many people will use the new Galadriel? My group of 10ish people have never used her, and rarely will. Tournaments? HUGE risk to take her.

As for legolas....he still needs a 6 or might. And at the least youre making him blow vital might. With my past attempts with legolas....his auto hit rolls a lot of 2,3,4 not the 6s for things you actually need....