All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:53 pm

Post subject: House Rule - How much is "Flight" worth? Custom Character
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Briefly, I am trying to incorporate various other characters and creatures into the SBG rule set, but trying my best to use existing profiles, rules and points values as much as possible.

However there is one conundrum I am facing (actually there are several but let's deal with one at a time!): flight.

I want to create an angelic character but I think having a reasonably powerful character that can fly (i.e. move faster than a mounted model, ignore terrain, cannot lose this ability by getting knocked off a mount as a mounted model would) is a very potent special rule so I am a bit wary as to how much it should be worth.

The character I created uses the Tauriel profile and special rules as a base (so starting at 85 pts). However I have lowered the Defence to 4 and removed the Woodland Creature and Vengeful Fury special rules. Since the Vengeful Fury rule can be more of a hindrance than a help, I've not taken off any points for it and just lowered the basic points cost by 10 (5 for the pip of Def, 5 for the special rule) to 75.

I then want to add the Fly , Unyielding Combat Stance and Preternatural Agility special rules. I realise that this combination makes a bit of a beast that would probably be worth quite a bit more than the 15 additional pts for a total of 90, right?

Going by the rule of thumb for special rules she'd be 90 pts but it seems to me that with the combination of high Fight, and the Blade Mistress, Unyielding Combat Stance and Pretenatural Agility special rules she'd be a bit overpowered. I tried to mitigate this with a low Defence of 4 though.

What do you all think? How much would you value this character? Is 90 pts about right? Too little? Personally I've gone for 120 pts as I think this character would be incredibly tactically flexible.
 Post subject: Re: House Rule - How much is "Flight" worth? Custom Characte
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:29 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

A good rule of thumb taken from battle companies is to adjust a profile's point value by 5 points for fight, str and def and adjust it by 10 for atks, wounds and special rules.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

jdizzy001 wrote:
A good rule of thumb taken from battle companies is to adjust a profile's point value by 5 points for fight, str and def and adjust it by 10 for atks, wounds and special rules.

Thank you! That makes sense.

So using this rule of thumb, I would deduct 5 points for the drop in Defence (since the model I have is clearly unarmoured). I would swap the Woodland Creature and Vengeful Fury special rules with the Unyielding Combat Stance and Preternatural Agility, and add Fly for another ten points for a total of 90 pts.

The only worry I have with that is that not all special rules are equal. The Woodland Creature special rule is not as useful as the Fly special rule, or Aragorn's Mighty Hero special rule (for the sake of argument - I know that one is a one off!).

Woodland Creature is a very situational skill, and Vengeful Fury has a downside as well as an upside, so personally I feel a bit iffy about swapping them out for Unyielding Combat Stance and Preternatural Agility, which basically prevent the character from being Trapped in combat and, combined with Blade Mistress make her a walking infantry-blender... add Fly to that and the character is going to smash cavalry pretty easily too. So I am trying to scale the price with the usefulness of the characters.

So the character I have created is as follows:

Move: 6
Fight: 6/3+
Strength: 4
Defence: 4
Attacks: 3
Wounds: 2
Courage: 6

Might: 3
Will: 2
Fate: 3

Equipment: Sword.

Special Rules: Fly, Blade Mistress, Unyielding Combat Stance, Preternatural Agility

I don't know, those are better or equal stats to a Hasharin, more M/W/F, more special rules and a far greater reach. Then again Hasharin are a bit more protected because of the Stalk Unseen rule; this character is likely to get pincushioned by archery and with low Defence and Wounds will not last long against the bigger heroes or monsters... so I will try her at 100 pts and see how that goes.

She will be very fast and great at pouncing upon lone or small groups of infantry troops or weaker characters, but is a bit of a glass cannon.

What do you think?

(For the record I am trying these rules as I just put together a Dark Sword Miniatures Thief of Hearts figure and I really want to use it in a game once it is painted up!)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:35 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The rule of thumb isn't perfect, as you mentioned, not all rules are created equal. There is a big difference between expert rider and parry, but instead of working out a cost for each and every rule battle companies generalizes 10 for each. This tends to result in a character that may be more point heavy than "normal" but if you feel the cost needs adjusted you can work out a fair point value between you and your gaming group and use your estimate as a starting point. The second part of the rule of thumb is that its better to error on the side of caution with point values in order to avoid the arguement of, "That guy is so broken!"