All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:24 am

Which magic do you prefer?
Ringwraith style 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
Wizard style 39%  39%  [ 7 ]
All others 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject: Wraiths, wizards, or others? Your choice...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use a lot of magic especially Ringwraiths. I do like it all but those are my favorite.

When I ask this question I mean which spells, which style of will on the profile mixed with might and all else, and finally which magic in terms of fitting armies and why?

Post subject: Re: Wraiths, wizards, or others? Your choice...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Though I have successfully employed both, the comfort of one free will per turn, a la wizard style, is my preferred method of casting. Who doesnt want free will? However, when you *really* need to land a spell, there is something to be said for the wraith style. The confidence that comes with throwing 6 dice to ensure you successfully cast a spell and knowing you still have 10 will draw upon is nice as well.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I think that, as units, the Ringwraiths are better. Even without magic, they have the option to ride a fell beast, giving them a killing power that wizards don't have. Plus, a couple of sap will from a wraith will make any wizard into a very expensive one attack model, while the wraith itself would still have enough will to be a thorn in your side.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

jdizzy001 wrote:
Though I have successfully employed both, the comfort of one free will per turn, a la wizard style, is my preferred method of casting. Who doesnt want free will? However, when you *really* need to land a spell, there is something to be said for the wraith style. The confidence that comes with throwing 6 dice to ensure you successfully cast a spell and knowing you still have 10 will draw upon is nice as well.

Yeah I agree with the wraith you tend to have more freedom to really get what you want.
Most wraiths I use have 14 will at least. If you think about it with a wizard or wraith there tends not to be much magic usage till the clash of lines. With a wizard sometimes aura of dismay and such. Point being you can use and get passed a good amount of spells. Wizards I worry more about when to use my will because I don't want to blow many of my real store. And yeah I often use the undying or witch King with a lot so I get a lot of those 3+ dice rolls. :D

Dikey wrote:
I think that, as units, the Ringwraiths are better. Even without magic, they have the option to ride a fell beast, giving them a killing power that wizards don't have. Plus, a couple of sap will from a wraith will make any wizard into a very expensive one attack model, while the wraith itself would still have enough will to be a thorn in your side.

Yeah wraiths are very versatile. They offer a lot more for a lot less. A wraith on fell beast equals a wizard on horse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Radagast on Sleigh says hi. He can just Panic Steed a Fell Beast away. His 5 attacks + Sebastian are amazing. His spell list may not have Sorcerous Blast, but it is incredibly awesome to Immobilise a big hero, charge in, win and have 12 dice to wound.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's an interesting question. Personally I'm a Ringwraith guy, they're reliable, they're flexible, and they can be quite cheap. I do feel safer with the 6+1 of most wizards than I do with a more finite amount, but like you guys said, when you really need to get that spell off, sometimes you just have to 6 dice it.

Having said that, for me the two most powerful spells in the game are Fury and Paralyze, both of which come from 6>will models. Wherever that leaves me, it leaves me.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draug, Jar Jar Binks called, he wants his sleigh back. ;)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
Radagast on Sleigh says hi. He can just Panic Steed a Fell Beast away. His 5 attacks + Sebastian are amazing. His spell list may not have Sorcerous Blast, but it is incredibly awesome to Immobilise a big hero, charge in, win and have 12 dice to wound.

Well say you play an all infantry army, or an army that has high fight like elves or shooting like Harad....

How about against a wraith with 14+ will and sap will....

Hes one of those guys that can be amazing or huge points sink to me.

I mentioned it in another topic somewhere. One game I faced radagast one sleigh and my hobbits killed his sleigh in the first shooting round they could reach. Also Ive played with wraiths against wizards and broke both their staffs with the witch king. That was fun.

mr. dude wrote:
That's an interesting question. Personally I'm a Ringwraith guy, they're reliable, they're flexible, and they can be quite cheap. I do feel safer with the 6+1 of most wizards than I do with a more finite amount, but like you guys said, when you really need to get that spell off, sometimes you just have to 6 dice it.

Having said that, for me the two most powerful spells in the game are Fury and Paralyze, both of which come from 6>will models. Wherever that leaves me, it leaves me.

Yup. Fury is always in an evil army for me. Ha. Ringwraiths mostly are used for transfix and compel anyway and those are always 3/4+ for the wraiths I use. Only need 1-2 dice per turn. Considering there probably wont be much more than 2 per turn at 14 will you have 7 straight turns of casting and you dont ever NEED that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:00 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the only wizard the ringwraiths should be afraid of is galadriel, she is very specific vs a particular target, but she´s good at it. if facing 1 ringwraith, the spirit will have hard time to pick right targets without her nearby influence.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Basically yeah she's super dominant.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

However, New Galadriel strenght is also her weakness. She cannot lead troops, which is always bad and she is basically useless when Nazgul are not around. If the opponent has a Mumak or a monster, Galadriel cannot stop it.
A wizard is not as effective when against Nazgul (but I have to say, both Saruman amazing range and Raddy's cloak are incredibly good to immobilize them from a save spot and forcing them to give up will point even in early turns) but a wizard is more effective against anything else.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'm really surprised that Galadriel doesn't have at least Immobilise. If she had that, she would be universally useful. Although her -1 to courage and perma Blinding Light are useful against many foes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

^Exactly true

Dikey wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:

However, New Galadriel strenght is also her weakness. She cannot lead troops, which is always bad and she is basically useless when Nazgul are not around. If the opponent has a Mumak or a monster, Galadriel cannot stop it.
A wizard is not as effective when against Nazgul (but I have to say, both Saruman amazing range and Raddy's cloak are incredibly good to immobilize them from a save spot and forcing them to give up will point even in early turns) but a wizard is more effective against anything else.

Of course....what I meant to do is quote Galanurs comment about the ringwraiths and say shes super dominant against them only.