All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:13 pm

Post subject: Transferring historical strategical tactics into our SBG
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The article is this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1267536/Ten-greatest-battlefield-tactics-Rob-Johnson.html
I will try to be brief while I am trying to analyze what is the idea behind the most of those and how can they be decrypted in the battle simulation we are playing.

Before starting, the reason that I am typing down all this, is that i have read enough of historic battles (from Sun Tzu to modern military manifestos) and always had the idea in my mind to use em in some aspects of life.

The terms of ambush are already included in the rules of the scenarios we are using. But those words in the article: "waiting for the right moment to spring their attack, but ultimately their strategy was an example of effective and channelled aggression.", make us think of when (=priority!!) is the right time to make attack with X number of type A troops into Y useable(!) number of type B enemy troops. It is a matter of understanding the pace of the battle and the value per model that can be used in the current time.

2. ENVELOPMENT: OPERATION URANUS, 1942

This is actually referring to a WW2 warfare, but the idea behind this is what we are calling "outflanking the opponent". You have numbers, you must use em all fighting at once! Tight or loose formations is the part of how the army's construction is affecting the man to man battle.

3. COMMITTING THE RESERVE: AUSTERLITZ, 1805

What actually happened in this battle is that Napoleon improved (without making it obvious) the center in a way that after it has won it, he managed to divide the enemy's army into two parts, isolating them and using the correct counter-troops in each one to smash em. Think of isolating the enemy's cavalry on the right with a fell beast there and some archers on the left where you have your cavalry.

4. SHOCK ACTION: ARSUF, 1191
5. CONCENTRATION: JAGDGESCHWADER FORMATION, 1917

Well for this one, a forum member and well known player, Dr Grant, who is using an army named shock troops (with ferals etc), is actually making a transfer of this tactic on the table. It is about the intensity of power in certain spots of the two armies. Taking advantage of hitting so hard and wining every man to man battle to lower dramatically the power of the enemy's army in a way that when the opponent gets over it and gather his troops to make a coordinated attack against you he will already be lacking the resources.

6. OFF-BALANCING & PINNING: TRAFALGAR, 1805

This is about isolating an army that can be shooted. Pretty obvious for us.

7. STRATEGIC OFFENCE & TACTICAL DEFENCE: PANIPAT, 1526

Mostly for sieges. Not so common for us. Worth searching it if so.

10. GUERRILLA WARFARE: CHINA, 1934-49

This hit-and-run tactic is not unknown in our SBG. Rohan cavalry is using some of that, taking advantage of the fastest movement and the arrow/spear option.

So, that's all. As a final advice is to always calculate your moves. Measure in your mind what you believe it is strong, what is fast, what is durable. Practice to understand well the scale of the battlefield, the formation and the possible outcomes of each action. These are terms that we are already calculating in our everyday life when we want to be competitive.
Cheers,
Valadorn

Post subject: Re: Transferring historical strategical tactics into our SBG
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really like the historical warfare examples you used and how they relate to SBG tactics. Many players are always asking how to be strategic with their force and this is a great way to narrow down on certain tactics ! Thanks for the post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

From personal experience, historical small unit-tactics always seem to work. The thing about SBG is it's sort of a blend between like a card-game and actual war. It's got certain gimmicky power-ups and abilities and set stats, but at the same time since it's very spacially oriented and equipment and positioning makes a huge difference, it lends itself to real warfare. So if you use historical tactics, and also make sure to exploit the down-on-paper special abilities, you're solid.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

aw1909 wrote:
I really like the historical warfare examples you used and how they relate to SBG tactics. Many players are always asking how to be strategic with their force and this is a great way to narrow down on certain tactics ! Thanks for the post

Indeed, this is originally a straight answer to them, I hope they find this!

Spike117 wrote:
From personal experience, historical small unit-tactics always seem to work. The thing about SBG is it's sort of a blend between like a card-game and actual war. It's got certain gimmicky power-ups and abilities and set stats, but at the same time since it's very spacially oriented and equipment and positioning makes a huge difference, it lends itself to real warfare. So if you use historical tactics, and also make sure to exploit the down-on-paper special abilities, you're solid.

I completely understand your thoughts and I believe you are totally correct here. This is where this game becomes more than a hobby!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

One more idea came to mind, referring to this topic, the Roman Maniple.

You can check what it is in this video from 02:47 on.

And what interests us is this drawing:

And the "close" type of it:

Now think that instead of 1 unit we have 1 model so it is about a warband. You will go slower because the models will not go 6" or 5" full because you will need to move the back line in a different direction when you "close" your formation to pass an object. But you will get the big advantage by passing a hill or something without losing your formation, meaning the first row of models being in a line (which is strategically great). And why don't you just firm your formation? Firstly, it is possible for deception, or secondly if you want to be in loose formation for example to not get the attention of a troll (to hurl you). It is an original tactic try to see that it can make more than it seems.

I've used it in desolation of smaug scenarios where by the rules you have a lot of terrain and worked like a charm!