All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: Balrog, Durin´s Bane
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Decided to pull the Balrog a bit up cause hes massively overcosted for what he does.

The Balrog, Durin´s Bane: 450

F 10/3+
S 9
D 9
A 4
W 10
C 7

M *
W 10
F 0

Wargear: Powerfull hands in flames, its never consider unarmed.

Special Rules:
Resistant to Magic; Terror; Fearless

Ancient Evil.

Evil of an Ancient World * : Although forgotten from an era lost past, the Balrog its an ancient terror of immense power and destruction.

At the beginning of every movement phase, the Balrog roll a number of dice according to how many wounds the Balrog has left, for each roll of a 5+, the Balrog gain 1 point of Might. (this ability does not acumulate with previous Might points gained on previous turns, and thus the player must roll every turn to see how many he gain).
In addition, Fire Breath and attacks with effects that automatically cause death on this model regardless how many wounds it has, only cause D3 +1 wounds instead.

Flames of Udûn: At the begining of every turn before priority rolls are made, the Balrog can burst a flame, if he does so, he loses 1 wound and 1 Will point, however he gain +1 to the rolls of the Evil of an Ancient World Special rule.

Balrog´s Special attacks:
The Balrog may choose to use one the listed abilities per turn at the cost of 1 point of Might.

Flaming Sword: Calling forth from Shadow and Flame like a swordsman taking his sword out of the quiver, the Balrog pulls his flaming sword to strike a might blow into his foes turning them into a pile of ash.

In the Combat phase, the Balrog strikes with a single attack rather than his normal number of attacks, if the Balrog wins the duel and sucessfully wound an oponent, that attack deal D6+1 wounds rather than 1. In addition, if an unmodified 6 is rolled on the to wound roll, it inflicts 2D6+1 instead (the amount of wounds is rolled before using Fate points and similar effect abilities are used). (cannot be combined with brutal power attacks).

Fiery Lash: Summoning his flaming whip, the Balrog brandishes his lash in a flurry before striking his foes.

In the Movement phase or Shooting phase, Fiery Lash count as a throwing weapon with the range of 8" and Strength of 7. In addition, all models (friend and foe) suffer Strength 7 hit within 2" of the initial target.

Inferno: In a burst of explosive rage and fire, the Balrog bellows, knocking out all those nearby.
In the combat phase if the Balrog wins the duel rolls, do not strike normally, all enemy models that made part of that combat suffer a Set Ablaze special rule and are knocked to the ground in which does not count towards the extinguish the blaze. (models like mumak and Smaug still suffer a Set ablaze special rule). (cannot be combined with brutal power attacks).

Breaking the wards:
At the end of the movement phase, the Balrog can try to break the enemy spell or any magical effect upon itself. Roll a dice, if the result its equal or higher than the oponent casting value, the spell effect has been broken and no longer take effect on the Balrog. In addition, if the result doubles the casting roll value of the oponent, the enemy wizard suffers a Strength 9 hit due to the sheer magical pressure that has countered the spell.

That´s the changes I would propose.

Last edited by Galanur on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Balrog, Durin´s Bane
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree he needs a boost, and might is a good way to start, but boy is that a lot of might each turn!

I like the idea of his weapons being special strikes. It looks like you have taken away any single strategy to kill him - swarms will get blasted by flames, heroes will be hit by sword and killed in 1 or 2 turns, and if he is ignored or led away from the main battle he has good reach and killing power with the whip.

One of the things I always found strange about his profile is that he has no magic, when Tolkien makes it very obvious that this is a magical creature - he battles Gandalf with wits and wills, not an all-out brawl.
The one clear thing I can remember is that Gandalf puts a spell on the door from the chamber where Balin's tomb lies, and the Balrog's counterspell is so powerful it visibly harms Gandalf.
I'm not sure how to get this type of ability into the game, but it would be great to have the Balrog fighting magical battles.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very good points Antonio, will need to review a bit of these things and see how it goes...
About the Might gain, it depends pretty much on those 5+ rolls.. however I could worst them a bit to 6+ (5+ if he burst), though of 10 dices at start he should get like 3 or 4 Might.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well, that might-increasing-rule seems a bit complicated and time consuming... What about simply having 1 might per turn like aragorn?

Some magical skills would be nice. Perhaps wizard blast? I know sounds odd, but balrog originally hit gandalf in book with spell so gandalf flew many meters, and it would emphasize the fact balrog is a brutal, violent beastly thing, instead of sophisticated "compel, transfix, sap will" like nazguls and dragons.

On top of these reduce 50 points in price, and balrog will become top1 used hero in moria! :333

Or then just reduce 100-150 points from price, so it will become nice killer.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah one of the reasons I haven't posted in this thread before now is the rules were too much work. Too many rolls and profile adjustments (wounds, will etc) just to use him.
Much easier if you just turn some of the abilities into spells and give him 1 free will per turn or something - don't even need that, just start with lots of will as its good that he would wear down over time, just like his duel with Gandalf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Antonio_13 wrote:
I agree he needs a boost, and might is a good way to start, but boy is that a lot of might each turn!

I like the idea of his weapons being special strikes. It looks like you have taken away any single strategy to kill him - swarms will get blasted by flames, heroes will be hit by sword and killed in 1 or 2 turns, and if he is ignored or led away from the main battle he has good reach and killing power with the whip.

One of the things I always found strange about his profile is that he has no magic, when Tolkien makes it very obvious that this is a magical creature - he battles Gandalf with wits and wills, not an all-out brawl.
The one clear thing I can remember is that Gandalf puts a spell on the door from the chamber where Balin's tomb lies, and the Balrog's counterspell is so powerful it visibly harms Gandalf.
I'm not sure how to get this type of ability into the game, but it would be great to have the Balrog fighting magical battles.

I may be misremembering, but I seem to remember that it was a goblin of some sort who broke the spell he puts on the door. I'll go research and find out.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:08 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Anyone think that Balrog with wizardblast (let's say max 3 times in a match) + 100 points reduced price would be balanced? Or would it be overkill already?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't think its needed and it makes everything more complicated. I'm not really sold on the lore of it. To me Gandalf is just shaken up that there is someone who can resist his magic so well and he wasn't expecting that. I don't think there is anything overtly offensive about the "attack" on Gandalfs door.

I think it would be better if you try and work in a extra knockback/flame damage into either barge or just all models in the fight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

But balrog right now is very inefficient!!! Noone ever uses balrog. Balrog should cost lets sau 325 and give +1 courage to all evil unit as long as balrog is on battle field!!! Then it would be good melee tank, but still very beatable because no might, slow, big, and no knock down abilities like dragon. Now its just decoration on shell if one owns it.