All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

Post subject: GOAT RIDERS?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello everyone,

I'm preparing to buy some of the new models.

Are the Goat Riders a solid choice?

Should I get the 12 with Dain that's on the Forgeword?

Don't wanna spend that much gold if they aren't that good.

Or maybe just 3 or 6.

Thanks.
 Post subject: Re: GOAT RIDERS?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As with most cavalry, I don't think a full warband is the best way to go - it is vital to get the charge, which often requires a heroic move - not all 12 are likely to be in range; 8 at most is a better number.

That said, they sure look great ruleswise: hit hard, pretty durable and that special rule means you may not get hit back even if you lose the combat, as the enemy has to stand up. Maybe get two sets (6 goats) first, then more later if they perform well.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice.

Any ideas for a good 700 point iron hills list?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The main question is whether to go for the Erebor Reclaimed or Iron Hills armylist. If the former, you will want to have Thorin in there, which will likely result in Dain leading just the cavalry, Thorin with a warband of infantry and then a cheap third hero (Ori would be fine given the powerhouses you already have) and some more infantry. When choosing the Iron Hills, you have the added flexibility of not (more or less) being forced to take Thorin, but lose the many hero options: then again, Dain with the cavalry and two captains with nearly full warbands of infantry (more numbers than the alternative) will likely do very well.

Ballista is a bit expensive even at 700pts, the chariot also isn't something you just drop in the list, rather build your force around. I suppose the crossbows will become another interesting dilemma; a very strong option but it will change the playstyle substantially. Until then, you can't really go wrong with a solid shieldwall and some goats (plus a boar) charging around the flanks!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:04 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah I would probably get 6 maxxxx, probably only 3 not just cause of the cash but they're pretty pricey and while they seems really strong the regular foot troops are great too and you can get lots of them.

P
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:33 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Maybe offtopic here, but seeing that you guys seem to have more experience with the CoE heroes I figured I'd still ask it here.

Which CoE hero would be a great addition to Thorin (orcrist) + Dain combo in the Erebor Reclaimed list? I'd prefer a cheap CoE hero (and dislike using captains), but don't know which ones are the stronger ones in a tactical point of view - stating that I've already got 2 physical powerhouses in Dain and Thorin.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:18 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

In all truth I think 12 would be the maximum I would buy ; they really are great models but to have them in the same numbers as my riders of rohan army would require a small bank loan :(
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sephalo wrote:
Maybe offtopic here, but seeing that you guys seem to have more experience with the CoE heroes I figured I'd still ask it here.

Which CoE hero would be a great addition to Thorin (orcrist) + Dain combo in the Erebor Reclaimed list? I'd prefer a cheap CoE hero (and dislike using captains), but don't know which ones are the stronger ones in a tactical point of view - stating that I've already got 2 physical powerhouses in Dain and Thorin.

Ori could be a good pick, since he can allow other heroes in the erebor reclaimed list to recover might, and he's reasonably cheap. Bombur could be another good idea. Cheap (for Erebor standards), with 3 wounds and the ability to refill will. He can hold his ground during the fight phase, as long as his battles are chosen wisely.

I don't like Balin. His ability is way too random to be effective. Most of the times, I found him to be useless.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So far Ori might be the coolest yeah. Altough what would you say about Oin? Or would his heal not affect enough possible targets to make him viable?

ADMIN EDIT: Excessive quote removed.
No need to quote entire conversations before leaving your reply. Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:43 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think 6 led by Dain would be good.

Is the iron hills Captain a good pick with 12 of the spear and shield guys?

Can Thorin lead the iron hill troops?

I'd like some crossbow in the list maybe.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kardoosh wrote:
I think 6 led by Dain would be good.

Is the iron hills Captain a good pick with 12 of the spear and shield guys?

Can Thorin lead the iron hill troops?

I'd like some crossbow in the list maybe.

It all depends on the list you're going for.
"The Iron Hills" only has Iron Hills miniatures while "Erebor Reclaimed" has all the miniatures from Thorin's Company (Champions of Erebor) combined with most of the Iron Hills range. The only thing they don't seem to have is the Ballista.

So for now I think the Erebor Reclaimed list is far better than the Iron Hills list, since it just has way more options. (That is, if you don't have a ballista anyway)

So Thorin can lead the Iron Hills troops. In fact. He even counts as a banner if your army consists of only Iron Hills+Champions of Erebor units. (So that excludes the ballista).
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I just ordered 6 goat riders.

Dain.

12 iron hill

11 iron hill capt & banner

3 iron hill new poses

Then I'll get Thorin.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sephalo wrote:
Altough what would you say about Oin? Or would his heal not affect enough possible targets to make him viable?

I didn't mention Oin because I did not remember his point cost. However, if I do remember correctly, Oin ability requires him to stay still, which can be annoying. I think that, overall Bombur may be the best pick. 2 attacks, 3 wounds, 2 might, can refill will in any moment of his movement phase.

If you're going for a pure Erebor Reclaimed, to gain the benefit of Thorin's banner (seeing how expensive those dwarves are, saving points for a banner could be a blessing!), you're probably be exposed to magic. It's not Galadriel, but at least Bombur can add some will here and there to have at least one die to resist immobilize.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:23 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I ordered the iron hills captain. He's hefty points wise. Is he worth taking over a similar pointed guy like Bombur?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think the captain is better then Bombur. I havent played the dwarves a ton yet but I used Bifor and Dori along with Dain for leaders but I think the captain is definitely worth a look.

P
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I did buy him so I'll try him out.

I had a list that fit Oin. He's not bad support. Keep him behind Thorin.