All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Post subject: Gulavhar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

What do you think of him? He is available on table ? Seems to be a big monster to one shot big heroes like aragorn ?
 Post subject: Re: Gulavhar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

He is a bit pricey but lack some defense. thus it's quite hard to play and often isn't worth enough.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have not seen him on the field in all my years except for a few times. The high fight, strength and fly are all good for dealing with heroes, cavalry, and other monsters. Like Manadar said, though, he is a bit expensive when compared to a cave troll with two-handed hammer and burly. Plus, I have seen him get gunned down depending on how much space starts between him and the enemy and how well the enemy focuses fire on him.

I can be a fun piece for the table every now and then though as most of the times I have fought him (3/4 I think) were in casual games or scenarios.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

He made it to the top tables this year at the grand tournament. Although was killed by a throwing axe in the final game lol.

Have never used him but I believe he can at least work well at 700pts
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've only used him in a couple of games, so I can't give actual advice. You definitely have to protect him from shooting and pick his combats carefully.

One thing I just noticed, however, is that he now has Monstrous Charge. He will kill just about anything.
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very powerful on the charge, but a glass hammer. If used well in the hands of a skilled player he could be a nightmare. Even just in a low amount of shooting environment really.
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 1:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually just had a game where Gulavhar turned up. He was the general of a troll heavy Angmar lost with shade supported. The game was contest of champions. Gulavhar got out classed by Gil Galad and spent most of the game trying to recover from getting smacked down to two wounds/attacks by the elven king. It was not until the last turn that he got back in the game and slew enough models to snag a narrow victory.

It got me to think that his vampire ability to regenerate wounds can make up for taking a few shots early on if you can get a charge into some infantry and sparing spend out your might to get heroic combat around. If he had not been able to regain wounds I think he would have been sunk turn two. Being able to run away and kill some chaff then come back to a hero fight at full power makes him very torublesome. As does his having more than 3 wounds. With supporting infantry to prevent him being overwhelmed, I would be surprised if he would not be able to convincingly beat most heroes in a fight. Baring Aragorn and the fight 7s.

My opponent mentioned that Gulavhar also had a bad habit of bolting after the army broke because of his low courage. That did not happen in our game but it came down to some will points to prevent it.

Some things to consider I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 12:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fought against him with an all eagle army, if he gets the charge on you he is lethal, was able to kill my eagles due to knocking them over. Even worse if a shade gets into range.
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's so rough hahaha. Nothing you can do except lose your eagles 1 at a time
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There was a game I used him against some Elves. By turn 1, I decided to stupidly charge him in a spot that my opponent could isolate and surround him with FV6 Elves. Somehow, Gully won that fight and proceeded to destroy everything my opponent had for the rest of the game.

You do have to be careful with him. He's a giant arrow-magnet, he's very easy to wound, and he is easy to surround. You have to use all of his mobility, you have to use your Orcs to block enemies. I'm always tempted with flying killers like him to immediately fly behind enemy lines and kill important targets, but that's how you get him isolated. Pick his fights carefully.

The most important thing to remember is that, on the charge, he's an S8 5A beast with Knock Down and Fly. Your opponent is terrified of what he can do. Use that psychological advantage
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have only used him with ShadowLord on horse or Beast. Deadly combo, after sapping enemy will. But, as noted, an expensive arrow-magnet. The new Elven bow re-rolls are bothersome. Get him engaged quickly, and arrows are useless. Don't isolate--as noted: even 4 attacks, and higher fight could have you burning precious Might. With Defense 5, one loss could take him out. So, yeah, risky -- but so much fun.