All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

Post subject: Battle Companies Weather and Time Charts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've heard of some old weather/time related charts for battle companies, but having been unable to track one down I decided to write one up of my own. This has not been play-tested at all, and I'd like to know your opinion on this.
Thanks!
TIME CHART
1-2 roll on Night Chart
3-6 roll on Day Chart

NIGHT CHART:
1-2 1st Half of night: 1=7PM/ 2=8PM/ 3=9PM/ 4=10PM/ 5=11PM/ 6=12PM
3-6 2nd Half of night: 1=1AM 2=2AM 3=3AM 4=4AM 5=5AM 6=6AM

DAY CHART:
1-2 1st half of day: 1=7AM 2=8AM 3=9AM 4=10AM 5=11AM 6=12AM
3-6 2nd half of day: 1/1PM 2/2PM 3/3PM 4/4PM 5/5PM 6/6PM

TIME RULES:
1 PM-3PM Heat of the Day: all models with heavy armor and/or armored horses must roll a d6 before they move. On the roll of a 1, the model’s movement is halved. A roll must be made for an armored horse even if the rider does not have heavy armor.
4 PM-6PM no special rules
7 PM-9PM Gathering Dusk: Each turn view range decreases from 24 inches by 4 inches at the beginning of the turn. 7 PM=20inches 8 PM=16 Inches 9 PM=12 Inches. Models outside of this range may not be targeted by shooting attacks or magical powers or be charged.
10 PM-12AM no special rules other than 12 Inch limit to sight
1 AM-3AM Chill of the Night: all models with light armor/no armor must roll a d6 before they move. On a 1 their movement is halved. Unarmored horses and camels must also make this roll, but no other animals need to make this roll
4 AM-6 AM Growing Dawn: Each turn view range increases by four inches back up to 24 inches.
7 AM-9AM Morning Dew: All rocky rough terrain and stone floors/any shingles a model is on count as Slippery Walkways (if you lose a fight, roll a d6. On a 1 you slip and are prone)
10 AM-12PM no special rules

I thought about adding rules to specific races about fighting in day/night. Night fighting would buff orcs/uruk-ha/goblins, but I think they would suffer too much with rules about day fighting, since with the rolls stacked towards day fighting they’d need a big buff for nighttime. Each turn would take an hour. (I know it’s not realistic, but it’d keep things moving and be more balanced than the entire game being at midnight)

WEATHER CHART
2-Torrential Downpour-Line of sight range is halved +rules for 4 and 3
3-Strong Rain- all models take -1 courage in addition to the rules for 4
4-Rain-all rough terrain is increased by one inch, and all rocky rough terrain/stone/shingles count as Slippery Walkways. This does not stack with Morning Dew
5-Fair Weather-no special rules
6-Fair Weather-no special rules
7-Fine Weather-will not change through game
8-Fair Weather-no special rules
9-Fair Weather-no special rules
10-Steady Breeze-all shooting attacks made over half range of the weapon are at -1 to hit and -1 to in the ways (with the exceptions of shooting into/through combat) shooting across the wind. Shooting downwind gives +3 inches of range, shooting upwind gives -3 inches of range.
11-Strong Wind-same rules as 10 but +4/-4 inches, in addition all heroic actions and stand fast ranges are decreased by 1 inch.
12-Powerful Gale-same rules as 10 but +6/-6 inches, all heroic actions and standfast ranges are halved,

On the first turn, before deployment or priority, roll for the direction of the wind. On a 1 it is from the northern board edge, 2 it is the southern, 3 the western and 4 the eastern. 5 and six is no wind. At the beginning of the game, roll 2d6 to determine the starting weather. For every turn after, roll 1d6. On a 1-2, the weather moves down the scale by 1, on a 3-4 it remains the same, and on a 5-6 it moves up the scale by 1. If a 1 or a 6 is rolled on the movement, roll again and on a 5+ it will move up or down by +2/-2. If the 2d6 roll is a seven, no rolls are made for the rest of the game. If the weather scale moves to a seven later, it is treated as fair weather and further rolls will be made. If the weather scale is at 12 or 2, only on a 1-2 will it remain, on a 3-4 it will increase/decrease by one and on a 5-6 it will increase/decrease by two.

So what do you think? Too much, too little? Too complicated? I'll try to answer any questions since this layout isn't the most logical. Thanks for the read!
 Post subject: Re: Battle Companies Weather and Time Charts
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Personally I think you've made it more complicated than it needs be, but I like to keep dice rolling to a minimum. :)

time of day could just be dawn, day, dusk and night for example.

a search for weather in this forum showed these two threads that might be of interest to you

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34329&p=426625&hilit=weather#p426625

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31242&p=400233&hilit=weather#p400233