All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 pm

Post subject: Rise of the Necromancer Legendary Legion
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:28 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am finally able to field my Dol Guldur all hero army (besides painting most of the models) =)

And since "Fall of the Necromancer" we got a LL to play exactly this and basically removing any reason to not use the LL.

Although the LL does not add too much, it still justifies taking it over normal DG all hero any time:
-The Necromancer receives two attacks instead of just one
-All models receive "Resistant to Magic"
-The Necromancer must be included and is always your leader
-All models deploy as one warband
-Allowed models: The Necromancer, the DG Nazgul, Castellans of DG and Keeper of the Dungeons
-The Necromancer can cast two spells per turn but not two times the same spell and not target two times the same model
-The DG Nazgul get the normal +2 resurrection from the Necormancer
-The Necromancer gets the DG army bonus: For every will point spent, he adds an additional one for free

I played the LL so far once, while also using the models for the first time. The match was 600 points. And the match made me really thinking: How do you actually play this army?
Because you will always be outnumbered heavily against normal armies. And while the DG Nazgul come back after death, they easily die again when having to face multiple enemies.

Is the Terror bubble around them the key since they can pick their fights?
How do you keep the Necromancer save - always move around?
What is your experience using and fighting them?
Does it only make sense being used at > 600 points?

I am also not used to magic yet.
So I am also not sure what to think of the Necromancer. 25 Will and his free dice are definitely cool, but he is dependent on his Will to survive so he probably still should be picky about what and on whom he uses his spells.
Also his spell selection is... unconventional? I expected him to have more damage output and well in the past Chill Soul definitely did that, when it targeted everyone in an area.
Now I can "snipe" out a single model with it, which seems... ok?
And yeah I get that most of his other spells are good at targeting heroes to weaken them (Sap Will, Courage) or make them easier targets for the Nazgul (Transfix etc).
But nothing of this helps to deal with bigger numbers of warriors.

Post subject: Re: Rise of the Necromancer Legendary Legion
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'm yet to play this LL but I'll be trying it at an 800 point tournament in about a week. I'm running the necromancer, and 7 nazgul (excluding both abyssal knights).

Currently my plan is to use Sauron's magic to hit the enemy heroes hard. The Nazgul's primary task is to protect sauron. Their secondary objective is to finish off weakened heroes when the opportunity arises. I only plan on using Sauron in combat if backed up by nazgul and against a vulnerable hero/monster.
I think keeping the army together is a no brainer and also using terrain so you don't get surrounded. I think it will be a real challenge to win some scenarios. No doubt i'll be learning a lot when I use them.