All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:23 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: Continuous Tactical Discussions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

eorlen wrote:
im clueless on the use of grey company and RotN but yeah theres my 2 cents, and probably the most simple tactic possible

These are in the Ruin of Arnor sourcebook. You could use them in the same way.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Just curious... does anyone use mounted Rangers of the North when fielding Grey Company?

"With hope in our hearts, and wings on our heels" - Chariots of Fire
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gildor Inglorion wrote:
Just curious... does anyone use mounted Rangers of the North when fielding Grey Company?

Looking at a lot of succesful GT lists, yes, they are often put on horses and if they were sold by GW, they'd sell like hotcakes but having to convert valuable metal models puts a lot of players off the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

been more than a week but I'll chime in on Rangers :) I use them regularly in my Minas Tirith force which consists of all spear models and a few fountain guard to shore up the center. If im facing a weak opposing army I'll put the Rangers as the front rank to help win the fights and use the WOMT supporting them from behind to boost the D6's. Ive played the Grey Company list 1x and it was horrendously effective, course a lot of that was owed to good dice rolls but the no bow limits and everyone have a spear was just nasty. Not the most durable when they loose the fight but they can really put the stomp on some Mordor Orcs and at least tie with Morrannons, and Uruks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Whats bothering me lately is the purpose of taking Swordsmen, for any race. What is the point when you can take a spearmen with shield and do a better job. Sure it costs more to build an all spear force but what do you guys think? I havent fielded a swordsmen for Gondor, or Elves or Orcs in a long time. Uruks, you are kind of stuck taking them but thats the way the army is designed you actually would want them in most cases as the front wall for your pikes.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

RangerofTheNorth wrote:
Whats bothering me lately is the purpose of taking Swordsmen, for any race. What is the point when you can take a spearmen with shield and do a better job. Sure it costs more to build an all spear force but what do you guys think? I havent fielded a swordsmen for Gondor, or Elves or Orcs in a long time. Uruks, you are kind of stuck taking them but thats the way the army is designed you actually would want them in most cases as the front wall for your pikes.

Well, you could view it as a point saver. If you remove the spear from your front line you could probably squeese in a few extra guys.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Horde Lord wrote:
RangerofTheNorth wrote:

Well, you could view it as a point saver. If you remove the spear from your front line you could probably squeese in a few extra guys.

see thats what I thought but 1 pt? im usually short by 7 or so, so if I dropped 2 spears from my normal list I could take another swordsmen, but loose the spears...not a win win for me. Dont get me wrong I display them and for huge games I drag out the swordsmen to boost my numbers but for 300pt and 500 pt games I'll never use them. I love that no-matter what happens on my side there will always be someone who can support the other.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

If you look at the latest Galadhrim PDF it seems GW might agree...you can take a shield, but then your elf blade becomes a hand weapon, so you might as well exchange it for a spear.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The elf blade is part of the base profile for the Galadhrim warrior but it does not become a hand weapon; it can still be used as a two-handed weapon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Mor-galad of Greenwood wrote:
The elf blade is part of the base profile for the Galadhrim warrior but it does not become a hand weapon; it can still be used as a two-handed weapon.

elven-blades cannot be used as 2handed weapon if the model also carry's a shield

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No one is posting a new Question for the discussion, so i will: What do you think of the betrayer? Do you think he could ever be used as effectively as the other named ringwraiths? Do you think his poison rule should be extended to other models such as giant spiders?

Discuss!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
No one is posting a new Question for the discussion, so i will: What do you think of the betrayer? Do you think he could ever be used as effectively as the other named ringwraiths? Do you think his poison rule should be extended to other models such as giant spiders?

Discuss!

I've not used or faced him before but...

Isn't he a Haradrim Ringwraith? Extending his rule to non-Haradrim models with poison would detract from the theme. A better idea might be let him grant posion (the basic kind i.e. 1) to models which don't normally get poison e.g. Corsairs, Haradrim spears.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Betrayer could be used with Serpent Riders for a cavalry poison attack squad?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That would be very useful... 8)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
To answer your question, no, I don't think he's worth it. Go for tDM, The Undying, maybe tSL, or the Dwimmerlaik. But no, not this guy if you want an effective list

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:47 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Raggbur wrote:
To answer your question, no, I don't think he's worth it. Go for tDM, The Undying, maybe tSL, or the Dwimmerlaik. But no, not this guy if you want an effective list

Maybe the Shadow Lord?, have you not heard, he's the best one in SBG.

EDIT IN RESPONSE TO RAGGBUR'S REPLY BELOW:I know you said the Shadow Lord was a good idea, just wondering about the word maybe, ity should bee definately

Last edited by GothmogtheWerewolf on Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Before the gates of another fortress, telling those maggots that they have to form ranks!
I said the Shadow Lord (tSL, sorry if that wasn't clear)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am considering a list to make The Betrayer worth it. He could make Watchers of Karna so lethal. S2 bows mostly need to roll a 5 or 6 to wound. A reroll on 1 and 2 would mean that half of all missed rolls get a reroll. With accurracy of 3+, they are the Wood Elves of Harad, except with 2 real attacks instead of throwing daggers. Cheapest 2 attack elites in the game. With WoK as archers and Serpent Riders replacing normal Raiders, Betrayer helps his army do their job. I will test play this theory before investing in all that metal. Meanwhile, anyone actually used a Betrayer or fought one?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Betrayer is definitely worth considering! He's not worth leaving at the back with the archers though, get him near to or possibly into combat. He is a great team player, but if you want a hero hunter, the Knight of Umbar is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

All I can say is PHALANX, PHALANX, PHALANX I find the best way is to have at least one solid phalanx of heavily armoured troops in your army. Then fill the 33% or your bow allowance any spare points then goes into cavalry provided you have a cavalry choice to take. Use your bowmen to pick off any units that could easily get behind your phalanx, use your cavalry to pick off warmachines and archers so they don't take apart your phalanx from afar. All enemy infantry will then have no choice but to face your Phalanx head on and if your cavalry end up surviving long enough the enemy will also have to worry about becoming trapped in between a hammer and anvil with bowmen firing at any unengaged models.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 865 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next