All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:02 pm

Post subject: Re: In a hole in the ground...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I still have several more plants ready to be planted (though, those are ready-made and needed some color to make them look less artificial) from a model railway scenery set (that i bought more than 10 years ago just for such a project). It also needs static grass.
I am also not yet happy with some of the bushes and trees.
And the oak tree still needs several work steps (it doesn't even have leafs yet...).

One of the smials is intended as a gift for christmas (as mentioned before, hence the increased pace). I do not actually plan to play in the near future - but of course they are built in the scale of the models (not only the GW-models, but also the wonderfull Mithril Miniatures that had been produced for MERS in the 90s and that i have way too few from), are totally fit to play (as is my Amon Sûl).
I should say that my motivation has shifted over the last two decades from "make good looking tabletop scenery" to "make showpieces that also work as tabletop scenery".
(However, i have seen quite a lot of tabletop scenery that i am still ... far away from).

... i really need to paint miniatures next to reduce my pile of shame. I just get distracted by scenery and (40k) vehicle design/building projects the whole time.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:54 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Last mile!
Enough plants.
Bag End still needs more fences and leafs on the tree (and something around the roots).
I am really unsure whether i want to risk adding (much less) grass to the other Smials as well.

Some of the bushes (the bluish ones, not the ones with blue blossoms) look really crappy - i need to do something about them, but i have a few ideas. Some ink/washes and micro-leafs should do the trick.
... oh, and i need to place some of my real leafs! They add "autumn" instead of "spring" - but they are just so great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Close to the end!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

:yay:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Also Bag End and the small Smial are finally finished.
... now i need Hobbit civilians

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:31 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks terrific. What are the windows+walls made of? They don't seem to be the Forge World kits. Balsa on foamcore, or ...? At any rate they look very convincing.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

DaveT wrote:
Looks terrific. What are the windows+walls made of? They don't seem to be the Forge World kits. Balsa on foamcore, or ...? At any rate they look very convincing.

Thank you!

Have a look at page 1 - there are photos from the WIP-phase.
No, nothing from FW, all is 100% scratchbuilt*
I have used two types of XPS-foam for the facade parts.
The grey foam is actually intended for model building, 3mm strength.
The blue one is from a crafting store - usually for insulation unter wallpapers, 6mm strength.

You can also see on the photos that some parts consist of multiple layers. The wood-structure came from simple, light cuts with a xacto-knife (at first, rather underwhelming - but washes made the difference)
The window frames are made of superglue-soaked 160g paper (again, op to three layers), the "glass" is from a blister pack.

----
* my special flavour of the hobby is to scratchbuild everything when it comes to terrain and vehicles (the latter more relevant for 40k). Only many - not all - of the plants are ready-made. With the additional challange to try to make as much as possible from waste materials (or cheapest replacements). Not due to a lack of money - most of what i do ends up to be just as expensive as buying ready made parts. But i like experimenting with different techniques or developing new ones.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, that looks like a lot of work. But the results are certainly impressive!