All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 pm

Post subject: Conifer Trees
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ok I have been away a bit to long and since having brain surgery I have to take things a bit slower. So I figured why not start out with some lovely conifer trees.

Now for those of you that don't know what they are basically just big pine trees usually found in the pacific northwest of the US.

I was going to do an article but Alan broke the article submission thing.

OK here are the items your will need: Power Drill, Sand paper I suggest coarse, assorted doll rods, Furnace filter, spray adhesive(3M 77), Black and Brown Paint can be spray or in a pot, pencil sharpener, Razor Knife, Screw with fine thread, white glue, and not shown in the pic Spectre Hobbies summer or spring static grass (shameless plug)

First take a Doll Rod and use the pencil sharpener to give it a mild point.

After you have the point place it into your drill point end first don't crank down on the chuck or you will get lovely marks you cant get rid of on the rod.

Now fire that puppy up and sand it down to a tapering point you can do this without the drill but you will need a day at least. I try to do several at once seems to make things go faster in the end.

Now after cranking out about 10 of those doll rods you have to give it some texture. This is where the screw comes in press down hard and run it up and down the doll rod turning the doll rod so you get even coverage. Remember nature is never perfect so you can't screw it up.

Here is a pic of the marks from the screw marks.

Ok now find yourself a scrap piece of foam and stick the doll rod(s) in and allow room for others.

Now I am missing a pic of me pulling the Furnace filter apart but it comes apart in layers.

Now after you get your layers place them on the doll rod but do not glue them down yet.

Now we get to break out my new favorite stuff 3M 77 spray adhesive. Just give the trees a light spray with the stuff if it turns white don't panic it dries clear. Please use in a well ventilated area as well.

Ok after the glue dries give it a once over with flat black spray or some other form of flat black. you can use a brush if you wish.

Now after it dries give it a light dusting of brown paint you can dry brush this or spray it on me well I just got a new air brush so I am trying it out.

OK now that all the paint has dried your tree should have stiffened up a bit. Now take the 3M adhesive spray and make sure that you spray down from the top not the side.

Your tree should look like this when done. Again it dries clear invisible would be a better word.

OK now again from the top down sprinkle either your Spectre Hobbies Spring or Summer Static Grass (Shameless Plug) You can use any static grass. The reason that you want to only sprinkle from the top is because if you were to look at this type of tree in nature from the underside you would not see hardly any green mostly deadness.

Image Image

Now here are my final trees you can trim as you see fit on yours but we are not going for the perfect Christmas tree here and nature is not perfect.

Thanks folks

Thats where it is at
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow, that's really well done! 8) Good job!

I don't do much terrain making myself but I have made a neat sentinel watchtower in the past and I'm planning on making the Easterling Temple that's showed in the Shadow in the East book. But I'm probably not nearly as good as you. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Nice work, they look really good. 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Oooh, that's really nice! And they are huge! :D
I only knew the twisted-wire trick for making conifers (used for model railway boards), but it wouldn't work for this size, yours look absolutely great! Well done mate! 8)

And sorry to hear about the brain-surgery! Hope all is well now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice, man! A little bit more work with a bark, "realistic leafs" and would be perfect! Thanks for an idea!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Really nice, maybe i`ll be firing up some for my board :-D