All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:18 pm

Post subject: Glorfindel, Lord of the West
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:40 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Good morning all,
I've just gotten back into Lotr sbg after a good couple of years not playing. I guess it never truely leaves you no matter how much you try and fight it lol! I'm putting together a Wood Elf army (Galadrim), I've always played Wood Elve's and proberbly always will lol!

My old models have gone in for stripping and I've bought a white council box set. For a 750 point army I was going to use Galadriel (caster form), Glofindel-Lord of the West and possibly Legolas as his OP, then of course aload of Elves! Metal ones though as I hate the new plastics! :@ I might have to do some conversions though to get some spearman. The basic plan is to shoot everything and then use Galadriel to transfix people whilst Glorfindel runs in and kills everything :D

Now, I my problem is I dont like Glorfindels armor. I don't like mixing the High Elf armor with Wood Elf armor, I know it sounds stupid but I don't think it looks right on the table. However, I have read that Glorfindel actuallky wears silver armor which I think would look really nice. Can any one confirm this either way? I know it doesn't really matter at the end of the day but I would like to stay as true to the Lore as I can.

Thanks in advance,

- Okada.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, i think he wears some kinda blue-like silver armour (correct me if im wrong). Pics would be nice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sounds interesting, Okada. If you're looking for inspiration for your silver armored Glorfindel, I suggest looking at BilboOfTheWhiteTower's gallery. Here's a link, http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/album_ ... ic_id=5826 . :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:12 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the link, I started with a dry brush of bolt gun metal. Have painted the face, hands, hair and I'm working on his cloack at the moment. Might use mithril silver for the armor, wash it, then highlight with mithril silver + White. Glorfindel was said to glow so I could get away with some harsh highlighting. Ideas?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes, I have an idea. Take a picture of it, and post it.

:P
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Will get a pic up as soon as possible.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:52 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Morning all. Sorry for the lack of update, I have actally finished painting Glorfindel now. I just need to borrow my Dad's camera and I'll take some pics!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounds cool, keep us posted! 8)

www.YouTube.com/LotrWarhammer24
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Pics are finally here!

It's not amazing but I'm quite proud of it, I was up till 4am last night doing it lol! Got abit carried away! It still needs some work, the hands look alittle orange but unfortunately the sword broke off and I hard to reglue it. I'll smooth them out later I guess. C&C welcome!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice glorfindel there I love the model especially the helmet :yay: Only the cloack may have some more layers.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

His sword keeps falling off. I've painted gladriel aswell but she didn't really come out the way I wanted either. I think I'm going to have to buy another White Counci :( I done the cloak by starting with bleached bone and highlighting up to skull white. The problem is I didn't water the paint down enough and the coats came out too thick :( Any one got any better idea's for painting white cloaks?

See Galadriel below.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wonderful, Glorfindel. 8)

I love his armor, it has a very nice look to it. If its possible, do you think you could take a picture of the back of the model? I'd love to see his cloak better.

You did apply the paint too thickly on Galadriel, but its still a stunning model. Your color scheme for her is very unique. I think the way you painted the white was fine, you jut needed to thin your paints a little more. Also, you could always just strip the mini, instead of buying a whole new White Council.

Keep up the good work. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okada wrote:
The problem is I didn't water the paint down enough and the coats came out too thick :( Any one got any better idea's for painting white cloaks?

Don't despair. I've been painting for years and I still learning to thin my paints and use multiple layers. The impatient part of me just wants to get good coverage and get on with it.

So here are three easy (i.e. not 10 shading layers) formulas I use for white:

For a soft, creamy white (like these cloaks) I start with Iyanden Darksun over black primer. Then thin Bleached Bone and then Skull White. I'm learning not to be afraid of leaving more of the Iyanden Darksun showing in the deep parts. What looks "too much" or "not white enough" at 12 inches actually is the contrast needed to "pop" on the table top at 3-4 feet away.

For a cold, crisp white (like Shadowfax) I start with Shadow Grey, then Spacewolves Grey then White.

For something in between, I build up from Adepticon, to Codex or Fortress Greys.

Patience! Thin is your friend.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here's a pic of the back of the model:

It's not really that bad, I could just tidy it up I guess. I'm going to work my way through a load of Haldir's elves over the next few weeks. I've got some Nitro Mors, they are going in for stripping at the weekend. Lot's of scrubbing for me to be getting on with haha! I will properly find that after I've finished painting them my skill is alot higher anyway and will buy another White Council.

As for Galadriel, that's the first mini I've painted in about 2 years, so I think it came out alright. I'll definitely use that colour scheme for my next attempt! I get impatient unfortunately and end up not only not thinning my paints but not washing my brush but eating the paint instead! Yum!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not really bad? On the contrary, I think its really good! :)

The cloak is very well painted, IMHO. I'm sure you'll improve even further once you begin to paint frequently again, for not having painted in such a long time you're painting is wonderful. Just keep painting, and updating here. :wink:

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

White Tower of Ecthelion: Thanks for the pointers, I'll give it ago when I have round 2 with Glorfindel! Will be interesting to see the difference between the 2 models!

Longbottom Leaf: I feel somewhat flattered! Thanks for your compliments! My favorite part of the model is he hilt! Just a random idea that came out great! I had forgotten how enjoyable painting mini's was! I work in IT so it's nice to be able to do something artistic, it's a VERY good form of escapism!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:33 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The cloak is very well done, Great job. White is the hardest colour to paint (I think) and you ave it a lovely subtle hint of shade.

Chapeau! :yay:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

BRILLIANT painting on both models! :yay:
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your miniatures! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Awesome! I love that Glorfindel model, and you did a great job blending the cloak! 8)

www.YouTube.com/LotrWarhammer24
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

8) Nice painting! And I like the schemes you used!