All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 1/15/2020 Big Update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Holy moly those orcs are cool, you can tell by the details you spent much more time on each one individually instead of slap on batch painting.

And that Knight of Dol Amroth...wow! I absolutely love that color scheme. The contrasting reds with the bluish/purple NMM silver is fantastic.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You are really doing justice to those metal orcs! I especially enjoyed what you did with the orc raising his shield -well done!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Knight is pretty wild! Lovely stuff and I agree those orcs are definitely cool.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys, glad you like them!

Well, I've got a small update today. I've been pretty busy lately so I haven't been doing a whole lot of painting, but I've done some more work on the rest of my orcs (don't have pictures yet), and most recently I've been working on this guy.

Right now the whole model is in varying stages of completion. I've been doing a little here and a little there, so nothing is quit 100% done yet, but it's getting close. I wasn't planning on doing a SENMM helmet, it just sort of happened.

Thanks for looking! Hopefully I'll have some more updates soon.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 5/16/2020 Helm Hammerhand
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 1:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow, you're painting has been really improving these past few years. That Senmm is well done.

That is one type of NMM even I haven't done yet haha.

Also, how do you like those Kimera colors? Have you noticed anything in particular about them that really stands out from the vallejo's/gw/SC etc...? \
I do know they are very pigmented, but that's it.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love the purpley silver on the "Knight from Hell". If you could share how you did it and the paints you used, my Croc games Athenians would look splendid in that scheme. Sometimes painting something outside the box is just what one needs to do to rekindle enjoyment in the hobby. I use cheap plastic Reaper minis for this; mine are jungle themed, so lots of excuses to paint crazy, bright colours that don't fit the LoTR range.

I've got some leaf punches coming in the post from Green Stuff World. Heaven only knows when they will come, but I'll happily send you some cardstock leaves in the post. PM me and let me know what colour(s) you'd like.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Feanorthenoldor wrote:
Wow, you're painting has been really improving these past few years. That Senmm is well done.

Thanks! I could say the same to you, your nmm in particular has become top notch, and your blending is soo smooth. I may need to check out your Patreon at some point ;)
As far as Kimera goes, I like them a lot. I've only had them for about a month now so I'm still kinda getting familiar with them, but so far I've enjoyed messing with them. They are, as you said, very pigmented, which makes things like glazes a bit different because you have to thin them waaaay down if you're just wanting a subtle effect. The whole mix your color thing is fun, but kinda daunting at the same time. Definitely something you'd do for display pieces, not a whole army in my opinion. The finish is matte, almost Scale75 level of matte. I like it, it does make blending trickier though because any mistake is super obvious.
Those are just my thought on them after about a month of playing with them. I do like them a lot though and would recommend you try them out, unless you hate mixing your paints haha.

GreatKhanArtist wrote:
I love the purpley silver on the "Knight from Hell". If you could share how you did it and the paints you used

Thanks! I will do my best. I will warn you, it is a time consuming process. Basically, I just used black, white, a dark purple, and a light blue for the colors. Specifically, I used Eldandil Violet and Caribbean Blue from Scale75. Any black and white will work, I don't remember exactly which ones I used. As far as painting goes, it's just your standar nmm, but you want to incorporate your 'pop' colors (the blue and the purple) into the shadows and highlights. I used the purple in the shadows, and the blue in the highlights. There are a few ways you can go about doing this. You can glaze them in, or mix them into your shadows and highlights. I did a bit of both, just kinda depended on which I thought would work best at that particular spot.
That's more or less it, I'm not very good at explaining it, but hopefully that helps. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help.

-PoW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Helm Hammerhand all finished up.

Hope you all like it!

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 6/7/2020 Helm Hammerhand
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hoho, very snazzy there PoW!

I think this is the first version of the figure I have seen all done up outside of the FW website.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:11 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks fantastic! The tone of that green cloak and the smooth and subtle blending is a thing of beauty, very inspirational! :yay:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice job overall. Especially noted on the helmet, it seems you focused your highlights and reflections on the right side of the helmet, whilst keeping secondary (not as bright) highlights on the left side
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:16 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks, glad you all like it! Feanorthenoldor, yep. Part of that was intentional because I wanted the right side to be the main focus of the model, and it's partly because I was lazy :rofl:

Just a short update today, been working on the new Eomer model the last few weeks.

Everything is in various stages of completion, but it's coming along nicely. I also painted Merry, but haven't got around to taking any decent pictures of him yet. Also, all those orcs you see in the background are finished, I just need to get around to basing them.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 10/1/2020 Eomer WIP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Oh, yes!

You are nailing it - Bravo!
 Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 10/1/2020 Eomer WIP
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sheesh, it's been a minute since I've posted anything. Glad to see this place still alive and kicking. I really wish more people were still active here as opposed to FB and Instagram. I can't argue with the convenience of those apps, but I've found it's a lot easier to keep up/track of things on a forum where everything is nice and organized. Alas, I'm apparently in the minority when it comes to this, which is a real shame. I will try and update this page more frequently, but it may take a little longer to post here than on Instagram.

My Instagram handle is @powerofwill_paining for anyone that's interested. I've done quite a bit since my last update, and I'm too lazy to post everything, so here are some of my most recent projects.

First off is the Breaking of the Fellowship set. Believe it or not, but this is actually my first time ever painting the entire Fellowship. I still have a few things I would like to touch up on some of them, but I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. I'm particularly proud of how Gimli turned out.
I would like to take some actual pictures of them all together, I just don't have a good set up to do that right now. Someday, hopefully soon I will.

Next I have the new version of the Witchking. These are easily my favorite of GW's newer lotr sculpts. I'm still pretty new to OSL, so I had a lot of fun messing with that.

Thanks for looking! Like I said, I hope to post here a little more often.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 5/3/2022 General Update
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 12:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@PowerofWill - I am speechless at your most recent update… the Fellowship are all basically perfect and that Witchking is just amazing…

Thanks for sharing. I’ve always enjoyed seeing your work and it continues to impress and inspire

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice seeing your excellent work back on here! Followed you on Instagram (lotrboomer)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks guys! Like I said, y'all will be seeing a lot more from me in the future! That being said, it might be a minute before I post anything new, got a lot going on right now and I don't know how much time I'll have for painting. I'm thinking I'll probably go back and post some more of the stuff I've done recently with more angles in the meantime.

-PoW

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wonderful work, the witch king is outstanding

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you!

Just a small update, did some gold NMM. The picture washed out some of the color in the darker parts. Still a WIP, but I'm really liking how it looks.

I more or less followed along with this tutorial, just on a much smaller scale: https://youtu.be/-wnQBPzI1FM
It's a simple recipe, but surprisingly versatile. You can push the darker tones to go for more of a bronze look, or you can glaze some yellow over it to give it more of a "true" gold look. You could easily glaze other colors over it as well, such as green or purple. It's just a really solid basic gold that looks good as is and can be easily modified depending on what you're going for.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 6/3/2022 Gold NMM
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:07 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thats looking pretty darned awesome man! I think some really light "hot spots" might sell the illusion of metal even further.

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next