All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

that's a pretty cool easterling but i don't get how you can put in the time and effort required to paint nmm gold and not straighten the mini's halberd
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well, it was straight, but then it broke off, then I glued it again and then it broke off, and kert doing that, so, as you can imagine, I got pretty frustrated with it, and just left it like that. I will change it though. As you can probably tell, I just got back from vacation and will finally be able to do some more painting.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PowerofWill's WIP: Random mini's(7/30/10)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I haven't done to much painting recently, mainly because I've been working on a project for the awards. I have done some more work on my dwarves, especially the archers, and I finally remembered to take some pics this time :-D . I only took pics of six of them, the other two need a little more attention. I also tried a different color scheme for the skin. I based it of the way my brother painted his skin. I doubt I did it right, but I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I took a pic of one of my brothers mini's that I think is a good example of how he painted skin. I'm really sorry about the change in sizes, but computers can be SO annoying! I have no idea what happened, so sorry. I'll try to do better next time.
The dwarves.

My brothers mini.
I also had a bit of fun adding some blood to one of my Morranon orcs.
I also had fun setting up mine and my brothers mini's. Almost all of them are my brothers, but I've got a couple mixed in there.
The good side.
and the evil side.

My brother has some other miniatures, but most of them wouldn't fit on the board cause they where ones with large bases.
Please leave your comments and suggestions.

-PoW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That are awesome painted dwarves! lol one of these days i should get some to lol.. but i got enough figures to paint left for now.
Awesome army you guys have. So many figures. And they are painted :-D Very good 8) It looks awesome :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The dwarves are really good!! (wtf you have painted the eyes!!).. I think that the minas tirith armor could be brighter, it seems very dark for a minas tirith armor.
The armies are great!! all painted! wow!
Quote:
but most of them wouldn't fit on the board cause they where ones with large bases.

which are them? the mumak that we can see on the side? or other minis?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: On some battle field with 6,000 riders behind me yelling....DEATH!!!
Wow......I see you like trolls....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:54 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I didn't see what standard you where looking at so forgive me if I've missed it - if it is a gaming standard then they will do fine. If you wanted a higher standard then they will need some attention.
However I am never failed to be impressed by seeing a large scale collection of painted figures - good effort

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Felaorf wrote:
I think that the minas tirith armor could be brighter, it seems very dark for a minas tirith armor.
Quote:
but most of them wouldn't fit on the board cause they where ones with large bases.

which are them? the mumak that we can see on the side? or other minis?

The banner bearer is one of my brothers mini's, I only posted it cause it's a good example of the way he painted skin. But the reason that it's so dark, is to make the tree stand out more. In reall life the armor is a lot brighter though.

The mumak is part of the set up, thanks to a friend of mine who was able to make some room for it. The other two that Iprobably could have fit on with a lot of moving of mini's, are a Balrog, and the Witch-king on a fell beast. I also don't think my brother would want me to take those out(of storage) since they are a bit more expensive, and special.

@ Gandalf the Gray, I only wan't tabletop quality, at the moment. I think I would get sick of dwarves if I spent a whole lot more time trying to make them really nice, and I would probably fail. I might, however, end up adding some fancy little things to them just for fun. Also, I'm not very good at painting green, and since my main collection of paint is from vallejo, and their Dark Green is horrible, I had to spend a lot of time just doing that. I did spend a bit more time on the armor, though, because I think that's one of the best parts. So I'm already getting slightly sick of them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:09 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Your evil army is amazing. I like all of your Trolls and the Mumakil is a great addition.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

In which case like I said they are great for tabletop standard.

If you wanted a simple idea to shade/highlight the green then some Badab Black for shading then mix something like bleached bone to your green for the highlight.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
In which case like I said they are great for tabletop standard.

If you wanted a simple idea to shade/highlight the green then some Badab Black for shading then mix something like bleached bone to your green for the highlight.

Okay, cool. I'll probably do what you suggested when my hate for painting green wears off :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:13 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have been a little busy lately and haven't had a whole lot of time to paint, let alone taking pics then uploading and posting them. But I have pretty much finished the archers(still need to do the bases), and I've done a lot of work on the rest of the dwarves. I only had time to take a few hurried pictures of the axe-weilding dwarves, so the pics aren't going to show much, but I hope it's enough for you guys to give comments and criticism.
Here is all of them together.
I also had an urge to attempt to sculpt a cloak on one of the dwarf archers that didn't get painted with the rest. This is my first time to do anything like this, so I would really appreciate some help and ideas.
And I had another strong urge to try a wacky design on the knight champions horse. It still needs a lot of work, so any tips, or ideas are welcome.
I finally got a fine detail brush, so I should be able to make it look a lot sharper than it is now. Along with the brush I decided to try out one of the washes, so I got a pot of Devlan Mud. I haven't done a whole lot with it yet, but I have some ideas on what to use it on. Oh yeah, I also pre-ordered some Gunbadad Blackshields so I can see if I like them or not :rofl:

Post subject: Re: PowerofWill's WIP: Random mini's(9/24/10)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice dwarves and champion. I would have made the cloak on the dwarf a bit shorter (Just to prevent him tripping and to keep it on the bases height.) But it's a good start. Specially on the hood of the cape. And i guess i have nothing to say on how long you prefer your capes ^^ The freehand looks very nice. I Really like it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Impressive collection there! The eyes on the dwarves are done quite well in my opinion.

For the cloak, I also think it should be a bit shorter. Not a big problem as you can trim it with a knife any time. Make sure the green stuff does not have any finger prints as it is curing; it ruins the sculpt. Try to use small hand-held tools as much as possible, and avoid using your fingers too much. Another tip from experience is that it's much easier rolling green stuff on a flat surface, sculpt the cloak, and then model it on the miniature rather than sculpting the cloak straight on the miniature.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice champion. I like the paint scheme and I hope you will up the photos finish.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Lord of Edoras wrote:

For the cloak, I also think it should be a bit shorter. Not a big problem as you can trim it with a knife any time. Make sure the green stuff does not have any finger prints as it is curing; it ruins the sculpt. Try to use small hand-held tools as much as possible, and avoid using your fingers too much. Another tip from experience is that it's much easier rolling green stuff on a flat surface, sculpt the cloak, and then model it on the miniature rather than sculpting the cloak straight on the miniature.

I did try to sculpt on a flat surface with sculpting tools, but once I finished it stuck to it. I have a couple ideas that might keep it from sticking, but I will have to experiment with that. Yes, the cloak is to long. I got pretty excited, and didn't pay much attention to the length. As for the fingerprint, I didn't think they were that big of a problem. I painted the cloak to see how it looked, and the fingerprints were even more visible. Oh well, maybe I'll do better next time.

the dwarves are nearly finished, I just have to finish all these little designs on the shields and clothes that I felt like painting. The champions horse is coming along nicely too. I'm just finishing the first side. I'll try to post pics soon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

holy moley what a sexy army! Some great work there, certainly an army worth of Morder & not to mention the rest. Your Dwarfs are coming along nicely & look good. Like the cloak 8)

Iain
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Drumtastic!
I finally got some pics of the dwarves yesterday, so with out further delay, here they are.
First off, the archers. I will only be showing one of each varient of warrior, since I don't have enough space and decent lightning to get good pics of them all.
Dwarves with two handed weapons.
Dwarves with hand weapons and shields.

As you can see, they are very nearly done, I just need to touch up a few areas, and finish of some of the clothes. Other than that, they are finally done! :D
Also, you might be able to tell that I tried messing around with sizes again, but Photobucket is messed up. :-X I got a decent size on the first one, but the rest wouldn't change. Oh well.
I hope you enjoy the dwarves, and please comment, and criticize.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PowerofWill's WIP: Random mini's(10/24/10)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

great job on the dwarves

Post subject: Re: PowerofWill's WIP: Random mini's(10/24/10)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Nice dwarfs!
And I have to say the knight looks good as well. Always nice to see people trying freehand ;)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 46  Next