All times are UTC

It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:51 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated July 29)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the look of you WoMTs! Is it supposed to be leather over chainmail?

Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated July 29)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for the feedback guys! :) Glad you like it.

@ Rognarr: thanks! It's supposed to be a cloth surcoat over the chain mail, it is not necessarily leather (though, I suppose, it could be).
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated August 29)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:21 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In the past few weeks, I've made some more terrain pieces for the Harad table. It's funny how different making these terrain pieces is: you cannot hide many mistakes under a layer of grass this time! I've found that the surface under the sand should be pretty smooth, otherwise you will see what's under it (this can be seen in some of the pieces). But, with a little trial-and-error, I'm starting to get better at making it more smooth and realistic, I think.

Anyway, here are some (read: a ridiculous number of) pictures:

All of the terrain together.

One of the new pieces. A rocky, bushy hill.

A simple large sand dune, with a Corsair Reaver for scale.

Another new piece: thorn bushes which will represent difficult terrain.

A snake was added (made from ProCreate).

Two small cliffs, with a Corsair Reaver for scale.

One of the cliffs.

The other cliff.

Also back again with some conversion/sculpting updates. :)

An Uruk-hai Scout (as kindly given to me by Coenus Scaldingus :) ) who will become a Haradrim Chieftain. From the books, we know that the Haradrim wore 'armour of overlapping plates'. We don't know if this was like scale mail, lamellar, lorica segmenta as used by the Romans or something more exotic. When looking for good alternatives lately, I spotted that the armour of the Scouts was actually plausible, so I set out to converting a Scout.
The sword comes from an Orc, and the shield comes from a Rohan shield (with the tip of a cocktail pricker as the spike). ProCreate is used to make other details.
I think he will look pretty Haradrim to me! :)

The Elven dagger that Aragorn got from Celeborn in the movies, was added.

The Fenris wolf of Red Box Games, finally assembled and based - wonderful model! It will be used as a Werewolf, or large Warg Chieftain.

A simple Orc conversion. The bottom is from an Orc spearman, the top is from an old metal Warg Rider.

An Aragorn conversion. In the books, Aragorn (and Legolas too, by the way) gets a chain mail hauberks, shield and helmet from in Edoras. This mini will represent Aragorn as he fights at Helm's Deep and his base will be a stone floor to represent this.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/614/u6f.JPG (Sorry, url here, can't seem to get the picture working on the right size, really strange.)
With the shield temporarily in place. The shield is from a Wargames Factory Viking, with some added ProCreate gems sculpted added to it.

A simple Orc conversion. Again, bottom of a plastic Orc, top of a plastic Warg Rider. He will be an Orc Captain with bow.

And Boromir at Amon Hen is finally finished! I sculpted more cloth over his chain mail, as in the books, he didn't wear any (visible) chain mail. A helmet will be added (as he is described as having one in the books), either on hi head or on his base, I'm not quite sure yet.

That's it for now! I won't be able to work on any more terrain in the next few weeks, with the start of the new year, but I might be able to do some sculpting.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:19 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Fantastic work, Fëanor! Living up to your username as a master craftsman!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

great terrain, the snake is just an awesome addition! really like it. Makes the picture complete.
Nice conversion work to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow.. I'm speechless those are some absolutely beautiful conversions!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm interested to see how the paintjob for the uruk-hai scout will work out to be as a human.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great work on those conversions 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Brilliant conversions!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That Boromir conversion is fantastic, I'd say that's a better pose than any of the Boromir sculpts, I'd happily buy that figure if it was released - well done, can't wait to see him painted!

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thank you all for the comments. I really appreciate it. :)

@ Sticky Fingersss: I think it will work out well, and also the conversion is not done yet. Some more things will be changed.

@ Dr Grant: Thanks mate! I prefer this pose too, although the Breaking of the Fellowship pose is great too, I think. The conversion is pretty easy though, and also very obvious to me. It surprises me that I've not seen anyone do it earlier.
Boromir's helm (yes, he wore a helm in the books), will be added on the base, and I will and the golden belt he got from Galadriel. He will be used as to represent him at Amon Hen.
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated November 17)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi everyone!
I'm finally back with enough work for a tiny update. Studies have been keeping me busy, but I've managed to do some work at least.

Anyway, first of all, I finished the Uruk Scout conversion. I will use him a Haradrim Guard Captain (using some house rules), or a generic Haradrim Chieftain.
The base is an Uruk Scout model, but a Rohan shield, Orc sword, Haradrim back-banner-thingy and thin 25mm Renedra base were also used. I sculpted a fallen palm tree leaf on the base.
I'm quite glad with how he turned out, and I'm looking forward to paint him (and make him a group of 8 other guys to lead..).

The palm tree leaf can be see here, slightly covered with sand.

I also finished and primed the Orc archer conversion. He has the lower half of an Orc spearman, and the upper half of a metal Warg Rider. A quiver from the plastic Warg Rider set was added.

Finally, I've painted 3 armies. No, not full armies of course (though that would explain my lack of posts), but Campaign Armies, or rather their markers for on the Campaign Map. These will be moved over a campaign map, initiating battles which will be fought on the tabletop.
The miniatures are 10mm scale (see the first picture) and based on 15mm bases. They are produced by Copplestone Castings, and can be found here: http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/ra ... ?range=FAN

Some close-ups:
A Normal Army from Gondor. As you can imagine, painting the White Tree was quite a challenge!

A Normal Army with troops of Gondor and Rohan.

A Cavalry Army of Mordor.

I've also been working on converting 12 more Warriors of Minas Tirith with spears, like the previous 8 (without plate, but with chain mail and cloth). Hopefully I can show some photos in a few weeks!

Comments & criticism welcome. :)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:42 pm 
That orc conversion from the wargrider and a plastic orc is genius! I might borrow that... :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I am impressed, 10mm scale is outrageous but you've done a great detailed job. The tree and the Rohan's yield are stand out pieces of detail.
I'm thinking about going bigger than 28mm but to do a third of the size is ridiculous !!! To my ageing eyesight anyway...

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

.:Gunslinger:. wrote:
That orc conversion from the wargrider and a plastic orc is genius! I might borrow that... :D

Thanks! I'm pretty fond of the pose too. :) And by all means, go for it!

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
I am impressed, 10mm scale is outrageous but you've done a great detailed job. The tree and the Rohan's yield are stand out pieces of detail.
I'm thinking about going bigger than 28mm but to do a third of the size is ridiculous !!! To my ageing eyesight anyway...

Thanks. :) Painting those models was a huge challenge, indeed especially the freehand on the shields. At first, I wanted to paint the White Tree also on the surcoats, but I have not dared to try it just yet.
Trying a larger scale would also be interesting, but I'm not sure if it will become easier. You will have many more details if you'd go to 54mm for instance. It would definitely be an interesting challenge though. :)
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated December 11)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So, over the last few weeks I managed to do some more sculpting work. So, here we go with a small update!

I continued working on the Aragorn at Helm's Deep conversion. I finally finished repairing the cloak from where the quiver and bow used to be.
Now just to add some hair, and fix his left arm!

Also in the pipeline are some converted WoMT, this time 12 spearmen. They will be converted like the swordsmen I did before, to make them more like in the books (chain mail instead of plate).

One of them will get a slightly more elaborate conversion. The upper parts of the legs were completely removed and some miliput was used to create a basis for his cloth. ProCreate was used to sculpt the underclothing. Now, I will add chain mail, and then the surcoat.
The pose will be to represent him receiving a cavalry charge. His shield will be put on the ground in front of his leg and his spear will be pointing slightly up.

Furthermore, I based some other minis (from left to right: Pippin at Minas Tirith, an Elf from Red Box Games and a Dwarf from that company).
Miliput was used to create the bases of Pippin and the Elf. I'm quite happy with how they turned out.

And finally, I started working on a Spider Swarm.

Miliput was used to create the forest undergrowth, with some roots and a broken trunk. ProCreate was used to make the little spiders and the mushrooms. Many spiders need to be made still..

Comments & criticism welcome. :)

Up next:
I hope to finish the Warriors of Minas Tirith in a few weeks so that I can paint them over Christmas break. Also, I should really get Aragorn done by now..
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:02 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Lovely work Feanor. My favourites are the Gondorian pose and the spider base.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good to see another update, looks like the grey milliput is definitely different from the yellow variety (much more smooth and fine).
Especially liking that spider swarm base, seems like a great idea too: not just to have a spider swarm, but mostly to have something on which to use small left-over pieces of putty after working on other projects!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

What are the rules going to be for the spider swarm i'm interested?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Lovely work Feanor. My favourites are the Gondorian pose and the spider base.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. :)

Coenus Scaldingus wrote:
Good to see another update, looks like the grey milliput is definitely different from the yellow variety (much more smooth and fine).
Especially liking that spider swarm base, seems like a great idea too: not just to have a spider swarm, but mostly to have something on which to use small left-over pieces of putty after working on other projects!

Yeah, I'm already glad if I can give a tiny update of a few models every few weeks. I have not worked with the yellow milliput, so I cannot really compare it, but it seemed to me that the white milliput is about as fine as GreenStuff. It still is a bit different to work with though, responds different to water and does not bend back to much I think. It's nice to work with different types, to get to know them though!
Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It is indeed a good way to get rid of excess sculpting putty, something I suppose we all have.

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
What are the rules going to be for the spider swarm i'm interested?

Well, I've been playing around with some ideas, but I have not playtested anything yet.
Anyway, I was thinking about this:

Large Spider Swarm (40mm) 25 p (?)
1/- 2 3 2 3 1
Counts as hand weapon
Crawling Spiders. A Large Spider Swarm may move up to 6” per turn. A Large Spider Swarm treats all types of Difficult Terrain like normal ground, may not Jump or Leap, but can Climb what would normally be an obstacle to a man-sized model. Climbing is automatically successful (they always count as having rolled a 6 on the Climb table). Furthermore they may move through other friendly models, but they may not end their movement such that their base and a friendly model’s base overlap. A Large Spider Swarm can never be knocked Prone.
Unmoved by the battle. A Large Spider Swarm never has to test for Courage when Outnumbered or when the army is Broken.
Swarming Horde. Any enemy model in base-contact will get a -2 modifier to his Fight Value.
Hard to hit. A Large Spider Swarm counts as having Defence 8 for the purpose of enemy’s ranged weapons.
Poison. In combat, a Large Spider Swarm rolls to Wound against the opponent’s Strength rather than his Defence. If the To Wound roll is successful, the opponent’s Wounds are not reduced, but instead the model is Poisoned. From now on, roll a D6 every turn in the End Phase. On a 1, the model looses a Wound. A model can be Poisoned several times: roll 1 D6 for each time the model is Poisoned.

I quite like the Poison rule because it's more realistic, but it's going to be really cumbersome if you have more Spider Swarms and more models will be wounded..
Also, I will be making some Small Spiders Swarms on 25mm bases, which will have slightly weaker rules.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next