All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:01 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Fëanor's WIP Thread (large update 23 October)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So, I think it's time to make my own WIP thread. Last couple of weekends, I've done some conversion/sculpting work on various projects.

First off is a Nazgul from which I removed the right arm (for reasons that will be revealed soon). Now, I re-sculpted the arm and sculpted a hand. Those Nazgul hands are a pain, but I think it worked out okay.

The reason I removed his arm in the first place, was because I wanted a mounted Witch-King model. I had an old metal Ringwraith model lying around and the old mounted Witch-King was pretty hard to come by. So I reckoned I might as well convert my own! I re-positioned the legs of the horse and gave him the arm of the previous Nazgul on foot. I used green stuff to smooth things out.
I'm pretty glad with how he turned out, because I think he looks a lot like the original mounted Witch-King. :)

I also did some work on Eomer. I always envisioned the Rohirrim to have just chain mail and some leather armour. Therefore, the (small as it was) pieces of scale armour made no sense to me. I removed them and sculpted some cloth.

A while ago, I bought an action of ebay with lots of different Good Heroes which had heads/swords or whatever removed. This Boromir came in useful with this conversion I'm planning. The banner came from a mounted banner bearer of Minas Tirith.

A very simple conversion (that is, after removing the metal shield from another Boromir's back..). Boromir's arm was screaming for a shield, so I gave him one! The shield came from an old metal Boromir model (one from the original FotR box).

Already some time ago, I started converting a Shagrat model to a Mordor Uruk Captain. Now, he's done and I only have to base him (he'll be standing on a stone). Pretty glad with how he turned out overall.

And last but not least, some Warrior of Minas Tirith conversions. All based on an old article by Spod (from the old TLA, you can still find one of his articles here).
The leg plates were removed, chain mail was sculpted and after that the surcoat was extended. Note that the former breast plate (with the White Tree) will be part of the cloth now.
I'm planning on making an army of some 50 models for Minas Tirirth in this way (including Boromir, see above, and Faramir).

So that's it for now! I've also started working on a sculpt of Great Goblin for a One-Ring sculpting competition, but he's really only a ball of green stuff right now.

Last edited by Fëanor, the mighty elf on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 19 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I particularly like Shagrat and the Gondorians. Are you going to convert all 50 of them? It must be a tedious but rewarding process. I have to start using Green-Stuff myself. Is it easy to get the hang of it?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

great conversions
I too have the eomer model, and have always been wondering why he has scale armour underneath mail, not the other way round
I love your boromir
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work there! And I did a very similar Witch King recently, it's a killer pose and you pulled yours off awesomely :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Constantine wrote:
I particularly like Shagrat and the Gondorians. Are you going to convert all 50 of them? It must be a tedious but rewarding process. I have to start using Green-Stuff myself. Is it easy to get the hang of it?

Thanks. :)
Yes, I am actually. It will probably take me a year to complete all the conversions, and another one to paint them all, but hey, I like my models to be true to the book (or my vision on the books)!
Until about a year ago, I didn't do much with Green Stuff. I did the occasional filling etc, but not much more. I always dreaded the idea of doing more with it, thinking I wouldn't be able to do it. After some time I just started, and I thought my work was okay. Reading articles though, is always helpful. Try these ones: kb.php?c=16 (especially Ebob's articles!)
So, my tip is to just read the article there for a bit. Buy a few sculpting tools and just try, try and try more. First try the simple things, like adding chainmail somewhere, and take it further in steps to enhance your GS-self-confidence.

LordElrond wrote:
great conversions
I too have the eomer model, and have always been wondering why he has scale armour underneath mail, not the other way round
I love your boromir

Thanks!
Yeah, the scale beneath the chainmail didn't make sense either. Cloth underneath makes more sense, I think.

Monotone_Matt wrote:
Great work there! And I did a very similar Witch King recently, it's a killer pose and you pulled yours off awesomely :D

Thanks mate! The conversion was pretty simple actually. And it was a lot cheaper than buying an expensive second hand one from ebay. :)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:39 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Constantine wrote:

It's very easy to get into! Start off with little things, like repositioning an arm, or adding a hood and gradually try bigger projects! Always use a little bit of greenstuff at a time and make sure your tools and fingers are wet to prevent them sticking. Sculpting and converting with GS gives the hobby a completely new edge and is a lot of fun, just be patient and keep trying new things :D the articles that fëanor suggested are very handy and well worth a read!

And fëanor, i agree with your philosophy: if it's too expensive, make it yourself :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Feanor and Monotone_Mat. Keep us updated with your work :-D
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

"Yeah, the scale beneath the chainmail didn't make sense either. Cloth underneath makes more sense, I think."

I agree completely. I haven't once used green stuff, but I may try soon after what I have seen from you and other members of the one ring.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@Monotone_Matt: I agree, it gives the hobby a whole extra dimension! So much more becomes possible!
And yes, if it's too expensive, it'd rather spend a couple of hours and get something that I probably like better anyway.

@Constantine: I will! I might even update it today, I try to do some more work on my Great Goblin.

@LordElrond: just be patient with green stuff, try try and try and I'm sure you'll manage! Also, when making several layers (of, say, cloths) make sure to let every layer dry until you continue!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow the Shagrat conversion looks awesome. I find green stuff difficult to use but there are a number of people here that make it look so easy, and with outstanding results.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Those gondorians look awesome!

Love the mordor uruk too - i converted my original shagrat to a captain and used War Leader mini instead.

good work - keep us posted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Awesome Conversions! Just to nit-pickings: The Ringwraiths cloak should be hollow around his arm, I think. it would make him a lot better. Also, the chest plate as surcoat on your WoMT (who are really good, by the way), doesn't seem a good idea to me. I think the armour doesn't have enough folds to act as cloth.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Absolutly amazing conversions. Love the womt with all their fancy skirts and chainmail. Hurry and paint them :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ CaptainOfTheWhiteTower: Thanks! Well, I won't say it's easy to work with Green Stuff, but it might be easier than you think. Just give it a try! What's the worst that could happen? And if it doesn't work out that well, try it again! Just read some articles, try, try and try a bit more. ;)

@ Corsair: thanks mate! The War Leader looks like a very good model too for a conversion (I love chain mail). If happen to come across him, I'll definitely convert him too.

@ Telchar: thanks! I agree that would've looked better. I made it slightly hallow, but it could've been more.
The armour doesn't have so many folds no, but look at the article I posted (http://thelastalliance.com/wordpress/wp ... orians.pdf ). He's managed to make it look pretty natural I think, yet he didn't do any Green Stuff-ing on the breast plate.
Thing is, I want to keep the lovely Tree of Gondor. At some parts though, I've added some folds to the breast plate too, mostly under the right arms. I'm curious to see how it'll turn out once painted. Also, I can paint some folds too!
Thanks for the criticism though. :)

@ John Wayne: Thanks a lot! I might start painting them next weekend, but there's so many other projects I'm working on..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Who is Ingold?
I've never heard o him before and he is not in the kingdoms of men sourcebook.

Is he a captain that you have made up?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:23 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ingold was a a Gondorian who was apparently in control of a group of workers. When Gandalf rides to Minas Tirith with Pippin, he passes some crumbling parts of the Rammas Echor (the wall surrounding the Pelennor). This is under reparation, and Ingold lets Gandalf in.
Ingold is not in the movies, nor made by GW. He didn't really play a role in any fighting (in the book), as far as we know.

Note, by the way, that I did not write the article from the link I posted. It's just been a huge inspiration to me. :)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Dude, this is all really awesome. My particular favourite is the mordor uruk-hai captain.

Honestly though, I do have a slight problem with the ring wraiths fat hand lol. You seem like a competent sculptor so I reckon you can sculpt a better one. If you want a tip then try and roll the fingers individually. Make them nice and thin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks samoht!
The hand is a bit fat indeed haha. It was a pain to do, moreover because I had nothing to work on (I find it much easier when working on something sturdy). Creating parts like these are very annoying.
Thanks for the tip though, I guess I'll try to make another hand. :)
 Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated March 17)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Back again with a small update, various smaller projects I've been working on.

First off, Balin. I've removed his scale mail and added chain mail.
His scale mail looked good, but chain mail is more book-accurate for Dwarves (and it made him more distinct from Dain).

Secondly, some of the converted WoMT, on new bases.
The normal thick 25mm bases are fine, but the large rim of the base has always bothered me. No longer! I bought some Renedra 25mm bases. These are about 2mm thick (rather than the 3mm of GW). Not much of a difference you say? Wait until you see them finished and on board! I will be basing most of my models like that in the future, and I'll also rebase some old models.
I've added GS stones to give them an Osgiliath theme.

Lastly there a model from a different manufacturer.
He is meant to be the Sheriff of Nottingham of Robin Hood. I thought I might use him as some kind of mayor, Kingly advisor (of Gondor, Rohan or Dale) or rich merchant or so. He could even represent an Easterling messenger.

His base:

In addition, here are some Orcs of Barad-dur. I already have an Orc army from Minas Morgul with a white moon, and so I wanted another Orc army with the Red Eye as a symbol. Note that I converted some, especially the ones with Warg Rider spears. I went for a very dark colour scheme because this is what they are described like in the books (and being a books-geek, I had to).

Post subject: Re: Fëanor's WIP Thread (updated March 17)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love that Balin conversion... quite a small touch but it makes a great difference from the norm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next