All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Dr Grant's WIP [Forge World Ogres]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:49 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thought it was about time I started a WIP thread, thought it might motivate me to get some more painting done. I should warn you though that I'm hardly prolific, I tend to get about 1 batch (10 infantry, 6 cavalry, a few characters) done every fortnight if I'm really lucky.

Still, hopefully this should work and I'll post pics of my latest finished figs in the next hour or so...

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569

Last edited by Dr Grant on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 34 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

So here's my first attempt, hopefully this'll show up right.

Denethor, Grima and Saruman all finished. Denethor is a bit of an odd one as he's been painted for a friend who loves John Noble. I've now got about 2000 points of SBG Isengard done and figured it was about time I got the White Wizard and his dog done to lead them, I'm really happy with how they both turned out, I really enjoyed painting them both too, I wasn't particularly keen on this Saruman sculpt before I started but they were both a joy to paint, so much great detail around the face. Need to get him on the tabletop now!

Comments and criticism welcome.

Oh, and one final thing, I'm also about to build my own version of Helm's Deep, would people normally put that in this thread or start a separate WIP in the scenery forum? Thanks all!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh-ho nice stuff man! You do the eyes really well (oh so romantic), and Saruman's cloak is great. Don't suppose you've got any cheeky Dunland lined up (or Sharkey and Worm for that matter)?

I wouldn't have a problem with Helms Deep posted here, as long as we get to see it at some point!

P.S: Sorry for being such a lousy opponent on Sunday, I doubt you minded getting a practically free win though - I didn't see my list (or my 'skill') beating yours anyway! Maybe there'll be a re-match in the future (and I won't eat something that makes me queezy)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Very nice paint jobs. I like the blood soaking into the rag on Grima. Excellent detail. Denethor (aka Walter Bishop) looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very nice and detailed painting! Personnally I had painted Saruman a bit lighter (he is the white wizard after all.. ;) ) but they all look awesome nevertheless!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Very nice, loks really awesome :) Keep up the good work

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:05 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love your painting style, it almost makes them looks as though they're from a graphic novel or animation :yay:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Crucium Giger wrote:
I love your painting style, it almost makes them looks as though they're from a graphic novel or animation :yay:

I agree, Nick Park eat your heart out.

Wallace and Gromit do Middle-Earth would be a sight to see!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Marsbar - No Dunland planned as of yet, I do love the metal figs and have some vague plans about adding a warband at some point down the line but my backlog is far too huge to consider buying them at the mo! I have got the Sharky figure and painting this Saruman has made me want to do another, not sure which though as I've got 3 other poses tucked away somewhere! Don't think I'll get Worm as he's normally quite expensive on ebay and the standard Wormtongue figure fits the bill nicely.

@Rognarr - Yeah my version is definitely The Cream Wizard but I think it looks slightly more natural than bright white, suppose I could've gone lighter though. As noted above I've got a few more Saruaman's to do at some point so we might see him getting lighter and lighter! I also hate painting white with a fiery vengeance - white horses are me nemesis!

@everyone else - Thanks all for the kind words, it's nice having the support, I'll try and update the thread fairly regularly.

After painting a few 'fun' things recently I'm now working on a batch of boring, standard Fighting Uruk Hai, got them cleaned up and assembled last night and hopefully should have a base-coated pic up in a day or two.

I'm gonna start a separate thread for Helm's Deep in the scenery section to keep them both on topic, look out for it soon and thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dr Grant wrote:
I also hate painting white with a fiery vengeance - white horses are me nemesis!

Haha, I feel with you mate! Théoden, Gandalf and Erkenbrand forced me to paint white horses them though, otherwise they had my head on a Rohirrim spear :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Time for a bit of an update, as I said the current batch isn't particularly exciting but I've managed to get the Uruks base coated, shaded and ready for highlights as below:

In an attempt to make the post slightly more interesting I've also included a step by step for my painting technique:

Undercoated black and dry brushed with Tin Bitz and then Chainmail:

Once the Chainmail dry brush has been applied it's hard to see the Tin Bitz but having tried it with and without I think the Tin Bitz coat darkens up the finished armour and is well worth doing.

Next stage, flesh painted Dark Flesh, loincloth, gloves and...socks? painted Steel Legion Drab (great colour), straps and belts Bestial Brown:

And then the magic stage, just chuck Badad Black over the whole thing (not the armour) to tie the colours together:

My models are also passable for use on the table at this stage so occasionally I've painted the bases at this stage if I'm heading for a deadline and come back later to do the highlights.

So that's about it for now, sorry it's not more exciting, I'm off for a week's break now so hopefully I'll be back with some finished Uruks around the 10th.

Happy Easter all

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:20 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fantastic work on Grima, Denethor and Saruman. I really like the alternative colour for Saurman's robes - and some nice detailing there too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hopefully I'll be back with some finished Uruks around the 10th April he said...

So, 3 weeks later I have an update, sorry for the delay but as I mentioned I'm not exactly the fastest painter in the world.

So I got the 10 uruks finished and based a while back.

Shields:

Pikes:

And here's my stage by stage guy finished:

So after the Badab Black wash, all the colours have just been reapplied for the highlights, Dark Flesh for the skin, Bestial Brown for the straps and belts and Steel Legion Drab for the loincloth, gloves and socks. The base then has a mixture of sand and course gravel glued on, painted Scorched Brown and then Drybrushed Bestial Brown and Ushabti Bone. Finally the rim is painted Bestial Brown and Scorched Grass is glued on.

I know these guys are fairly dull and boring but I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out; I was particularly pleased with them as plastic Uruk Hai warriors were actually the very first LOTR models I painted about 2 and a half years ago when I got back into the hobby (I played Warhammer from the age of about 10-20 and then had 10 years out). Whilst I was happy with those models at the time it's really nice to see how much better these are, I've included a front and back of the same miniature form those early models below:

The differences are fairly subtle but the introduction of Steel Legion Drab, the replacement of Mithril Slver with Chainmail, the addition of some course gravel to the base and the use of Scorched Grass instead of Glade Grass all go a long way (IMO) to making the new models look vastly better than the old ones.

So, after that I was due to move on to 11 Uruk Crossbowmen, despite buying a load of the new Hobbit box sets, I have so far stayed strong and resisted the temptation to paint anything from the Hobbit range in favour of clearing my backlog. However, after having a think about army lists for some upcoming tournaments I decided I really wanted to use and paint some eagles.

I was slightly apprehensive about diving into the gorgeous Hobbit eagle models without any practice so, during a recent visit to my parent's house, I had a dig around in some dusty old boxes and found a couple of really badly painted Wood Elf/High Elf eagles (that are remarkably still available on the website for £11). They were painted by a friend of mine about 15 years ago who left me his army when he lost interest in the hobby and I thought they'd be good to practice on.

I threw them in a bath of nasty Poundland nail varnish remover and 48 hours later a quick scrub with a toothbrush got rid of most of the paint reasonably well:

It's interesting seeing how it worked better on some areas than others despite being painted in the same paints and being submerged for the same length of time. A bit of liquid greenstuff to cover some gaps and a quick spray undercoat and we were off.

My plan was to try different combinations of drybrushing/washing etc. on each eagle to hopefully come up with the best result before I started on the Hobbit eagles.

Annoyingly, I ran into my first frustration with the new paint range during the process when my Scorched Brown ran out. In the picture below the bottom eagle has been drybrushed with Scorched Brown whilst the top one has been drybrushed with the 'replacement' Rhinox Hide.

As you can see, Scorched Brown was far redder than its replacement and they are very different colours. I'm quite lucky in that generally I only use Scorched for spear hafts and belts etc. so nothing hugely important but if it was a key army colour this would be quite an issue. As it turned out I actually prefer the Rhinox Hide colour as it provides a much darker brown that was missing from the range, it would have been nice to have a true replacement for Scorched though.

So without too much effort I was able to finish these guys off over the last week

I'm pretty pleased with them overall, they're obviously a fair bit smaller than the Hobbit ones and they look a bit dated now but they should fit in fairly well and work as baby eagles :) I don't think I'll use exactly the same colour scheme for my Hobbit eagles but it's been good to experiment.

As an aside it was really fun painting these as I'd painted up 2 of them for my Warhammer Wood Elf army when they were first released around 1997 so it was a very strange feeling painting the same figures 15 years later!

So, I'm very excited about the next batch as I finally get to paint some of the shiny new Hobbit minis. I'm currently undecided whether to paint the lovely new Hobbit eagles (Which at £12.50 a pop from Green Dragon are actually pretty reasonably priced) or Radagast to lead them, decisions decisions...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Great work, love the Eagles, the new Hobbit Eagles are really, really worth getting, i have assembled them but not painted yet, cant recommend them enough.

Is that the "Giant Speaker of Mordor" in the background?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Would love to see your version of the Hobbit eagles :)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:50 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks Thao, it's my next project after the 3 hunters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Beautifull painting mate. Goes for all minis :yay:

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Harfoot wrote:
Is that the "Giant Speaker of Mordor" in the background?

Yeah it'll appear in the Super Awesome Extended 20th Anniversary Edition of Return of the King. Before the orcs brought out Ghrond, Gothmog had the speaker wheeled up to the gates of Minas Tirith and blasted out Taylor Swift songs for days on end. The defenders would have broken and opened the gates had Gandalf not been there to pass out earplugs :gandalf:

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it means a lot and it's very encouraging.

I guess I wasn't clear, I've actually already bought the Hobbit eagles and have them assembled ready to paint (and agree with harfoot that they are gorgeous), I just wanted to practice on a couple of less important ones first.

However, I don't think I'll be painting them just yet, I had a very fun evening last night playing with knives and files and clippers and glue to assemble my latest project. Not quite ready to show it off yet but here's a little teaser to get you thinking, hopefully I'll be back in the next day or too with some more pictures...

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP {Update - Uruk Warriors & Warhammer Eagle
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Ummmm, this is going to be interesting Dr.Grant.
I await with interest!!!!

Love the speaker story, strange it never appeared in the Wiltshire release of the DVD?

Post subject: Re: Dr Grant's WIP {Update - Uruk Warriors & Warhammer Eagle
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gandalf on eagle?
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next