All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gondorian Fort WIP
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks everyone, appreciate it!

Another wee update! Spent today trying to carve out a rock face for the second base layer. This is the first time I've ever worked with styrofoam but I was quite pleased with how it looked in the end.
There are however a few parts of it that looks just like they've been hacked at with a knife, as you can see below in the photo. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make it look better before I start to paint it?

Attachment:
image.jpg

I have also decided to change the idea of my layout a bit and I'm now gonna just make it in layers, aligned along both sides, a bit like the ridiculously good Amon hen that celevue made! I've kept the fort off centre as I want to have something to the side (probably a small forest). My idea is to have a few different types of terrain all over the board just so I can display models from all armies (I don't play so this is purely for fun and for a way of displaying my models so I don't care about being true to middle earth or anything).

I have a few other questions about working with styrofoam: what is the best way of cutting it?; what is an easy way of creating a recess for a river that runs across or a lake in a corner?; is it worth getting a new hot wire cutter, as I have an old one but it is no good? And obviously my question above about the best way to cut a rock face?

Any suggestions for ways to improve or ideas for parts of the board are welcome and much appreciated.

Cheers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It looks amazing again, I love it! :yay:

As for the rocks beneath, my article might be useful for you: kb.php?a=248. I suppose the blue foam is dense? Then, I would really recommend the technique I describe in the article. ;) Try it out on a small piece and see if you like it.

Looking forward to seeing this progress!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It looks amazing so far!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ah awesome, thanks feanor! That is a pretty helpful article, will maybe try give some of those techniques a go today if I get a chance.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

malky23 wrote:
Ah awesome, thanks feanor! That is a pretty helpful article, will maybe try give some of those techniques a go today if I get a chance.

You're welcome. :) Good to hear it might be of some use.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Okay, spent a bit more time on this today, finished the second layer of the base (for now). Pretty pleased with how it's looking now! I am currently making a few small strips of rock shape to lay along the edge between the levels so that will be covered up soon.

Just put a few random models on it that I found lying around to see how it looked.

Hope yous like it 8)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You continue to elevate this piece. Well done

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Amazing! :yay:

My Blog: http://www.middleearthminis.com
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'd love to see the castle being assaulted by siege towers!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:30 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

This really is looking great. I remember your tentative start with this but it seems your confidence and ideas are improving as you work through.
You have created a wonderful piece that you should be proud of.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Absolutely SPANKING!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks guys, glad you like it!

Here's another small pic. Not done much today except made a small strip of rock to blend the layers together, looks much better! I think I will try redo the lower rock faces tomoro as I'm not happy with the finish. I kinda rushed them a bit and started dry rushing before the base coat was dry so it didn't really work too well.

Attachment:
image.jpg

I also placed the board on top of the next layer to decide on size. Not sure about how I'm gonna work it so that I can make a river/lake on the lower edge/corner. Think i will either have to try cut into the styrofoam board or use something else as an extra partial layer in between. Considering having the lower left corner as a bit of a forest so I have somewhere to display my elves and then have a bit of water in the other corner. Or perhaps have a river going through the forest just so I can attempt to make a small bridge (never tried before). I also want to try add a bit of height variation to this so it's not just flat layers on top of each other. Any suggestions on the best way to do this? Or even a different idea for the bottom layer in which a bit of height difference could be tied in?

Attachment:
image.jpg

Also considering investing in a load of woodland scenics products instead of the cheap alternatives I have used so I can try get it looking more realistic.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

With the blue board in place my idea is to have tht bottom section 1/2 water with the front area as landfor your forest. You could construct a bridge to span the gap.
By adding pieces of blue foam in hill shapes you can create you height variation on the forest side.
I'm thinking of a bridge with two arches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks really great, makes me want to start on some LOTR terrain when i get my hobby supplies back
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks!

@gandalf I assume you mean to have the raised forest area at the near edge then a river between that and the rock face? I had considered something similar but my problem is still deciding how to create a recess for a river. Ideally I would have been better with another smaller board to raise the fort section then form half the river bank from there but all I have left is a load of a4 sheets in various thicknesses. I'm trying to keep the space that it takes up to a minimum due to the very big lack of space that I have available. Do you have any suggestions how best to accomplish this?

Thanks again

Edit: I have just managed to find a 25mm board that is the perfect size for what I was needing so will need to wait for that before I can progress with the bottom layer. I will just put the majority of the board on top of the blue board that is there now and will shape a river bank on the edge then use the excess to form a raised forest section with a bridge over the river and the other sides bank on the near side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The river will run along the front of the current rock face with the forest area directly opposite. The river with span the gap between the two.
Now make and place the bridge between the two. I would have thought to follow a straight line toward the fort gates.
Make the forest area raised, like you have with the first step of the fort side. This will leave boundaries at both sides but the edges will be open. You now seal the whole rim of the model with thick card or similar. This will create a reservoir area for you to use a water effect product to pour into and create the river.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow! This is awesome :D
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well Done Malky,

I can't wait to see the water effects!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks bilbo and Amy! Here's another small update to show yous today's progress! I got my new styrofoam order in so was able to move on with this!

As you can see, I have started to form my river shape with the sloped forest area on the other side from the fort. I have also added a piece of foam (only for demonstration) to show where the bridge will go. I have also tried to create a bit of height variation within the river and I will try to make a small rapids section just under the bridge.

The sloped part on the left will have another layer or 2 added to increase the height a bit and I am juggling with the idea of having a small waterfall coming from a small stream at the top down into the river.

The area on the right, I am thinking I will add a few more layers and turn it into a sort of lookout point/tower with a small beacon which will have natural steps leading up to it at the near edge (behind the mound it sits on). The plan is also to make a path through the forest from the left corner, down over the bridge and up to the fort, with a small branch off for the lookout area.
I have ordered a load of woodland scenics stuff too so once that comes I will be starting to cover it.

Attachment:
image.jpg

Attachment:
image.jpg

Attachment:
image.jpg

You may be able to see that I have also re-dry rushed the rock faces and it looks much better now.

I know a lot of you may think that I am adding too much to this but to be honest I am just really wanting to use this as a practice piece and give me a chance to try out different ground cover products and water effects etc. and test myself with making extra things such as the bridge and beacon.
This will be the last update for a while (unless I get any done tomoro) as I am going on a course in Amsterdam next week so won't have a chance to continue with this. However once I'm home, all my newly ordered WS products should have arrived!

Comment/criticise away everyone...

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That is a mighty fine fort!
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next